The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Just practice I think. You get used to the common differentials.

It is important to get over though. Your approach might work for exams, but irl patients have atypical presentations and weird symptoms an impressions can be wrong. Just today: guy is SOB, pleuritic chest pain, small volume haemoptysis, active cancer, and a suddenly and grossly distended and oedematous arm on one side that preceeded the SOB. No cough, no fever, no sputum, CRP 10. DVT followed by PE right? Nope, it was infection. Med school exam that answer would be wrong. Real life: it happens. Common things are common.

this stresses me out.

so was it like two diagnosis? did he at least have pain in the arm?

Actually, DVT and PE would be reasonable in this case. So would two diagnosis. I would be fine with that. I guess its just being able to think of it, problem solve a bit more as opposed to just putting all my eggs in one basket.

I was saw a guy, post op from abd sx. he was SOB. they treated fro atelectasis--> wrong. Treated fro pneumonia next --> wrong. Once they realised he was in heart failure it was too late. He actually had a past history of angina. But since "post op SOB =atelectasis/pneumonia", no one thought to think heart failure until the last minute.

I know patient present atypically, but its still logical. Patient with chest pain isn't suddenly going to have gout.
Original post by Anonymous
this stresses me out.

Actually, DVT and PE would be reasonable in this case. So would two diagnosis. I would be fine with that. I guess its just being able to think of it, problem solve a bit more as opposed to just putting all my eggs in one basket.

Huh? I thought it was DVT and PE, it actually was just HAP and ?? for the arm - it just got better.

No he didn't have pain in the arm. Except from the like 10+ cannula attempts to get his CTPA, anyway.
Huh? I thought it was DVT and PE, it actually was just HAP and ?? for the arm - it just got better.

No he didn't have pain in the arm. Except from the like 10+ cannula attempts to get his CTPA, anyway.

Oh, i get it. so it was two diagnosis! HAP and something weird with his arm that self resolved.
I was saw a guy, post op from abd sx. he was SOB. they treated fro atelectasis--> wrong. Treated fro pneumonia next --> wrong. Once they realised he was in heart failure it was too late. He actually had a past history of angina. But since "post op SOB =atelectasis/pneumonia", no one thought to think heart failure until the last minute.

I know patient present atypically, but its still logical. Patient with chest pain isn't suddenly going to have gout.

I mean, oversimplication can certainly increase the risk of missing things, not least because PE isn't included in that equation (let alone pulmonary oedema which is what the guy apparently had - surely he must have had a CXR if they'd initially diagnosed atelectasis and pneumonia?).

It's important to keep an open mind and look at the complete picture rather than just trying to make things "fit" quickly. This is what separates you from an algorithm monkey. It also gets easier with greater experience :tongue:
hello does anyone know where I can find information on the cutoffs for jobs once you are allocated a deanery
for example if you get into South Thames, what score would i need (EPM+SJT) to get into the London hospitals for example?

Thank you
So one of my profs confused me when he said a 3rd degree heart block is regular.

I thought regular rythms were those were the R-R intervals were the same?
hello does anyone know where I can find information on the cutoffs for jobs once you are allocated a deanery
for example if you get into South Thames, what score would i need (EPM+SJT) to get into the London hospitals for example?

Thank you

I think only some deaneries publish it.
So one of my profs confused me when he said a 3rd degree heart block is regular.

I thought regular rythms were those were the R-R intervals were the same?

Yeah that seems accurate? Typically R-R interval is the same, just very slow? With the pulse being the same? It might be a bit more variable as its clearly a very abnormal place (somewhere in the ventricle) driving depolarisation, but every 3rd degree I've seen has been regular.

Why do you think it would be irregular?
this stresses me out.

Could have an inflammatory arthritis of their shoulder (inc gout) which could easily present with atypical chest pain with radiation into neck and arm, if such a patient was to present then pretty sure classical chest pain causes would be ruled out first
Original post by plrodham1
Could have an inflammatory arthritis of their shoulder (inc gout) which could easily present with atypical chest pain with radiation into neck and arm, if such a patient was to present then pretty sure classical chest pain causes would be ruled out first

then the presentation would be shoulder pain
then the presentation would be shoulder pain

No it wouldn't, not all cases present like they're in a text book.
Hi, a little concern about my mental health lately. Although i manage to complete logbooks and meet the minimum 75% (attendance is higher but no 100%) I can't help feel like university might throw me under the bus etc. Might have been mistake to discuss my issues (low mood) with uni...

Even if my attendance does become an issue does is it grounds for exclusion?
Hi, a little concern about my mental health lately. Although i manage to complete logbooks and meet the minimum 75% (attendance is higher but no 100%) I can't help feel like university might throw me under the bus etc. Might have been mistake to discuss my issues (low mood) with uni...

If you, over the period of 2-3 years, fail to attend and take steps to manage your mental health (discussing with uni, arranging time off/sabbaticals, seeing your doctor and engaging with self-management) then you'll end up getting excluded. As you can imagine, though, that's pretty hard to do!

You may end up having to repeat a year or something if you fail to meet the standards due to difficulties with your mental health - as you might expect - but I think universities overall are sympathetic if you're forthright with them. Submit extenuating circumstances now, see your healthcare professionals, and start making positive steps. Lots of medical students suffer from physical and mental health problems that interfere with their studies - and almost all of them find themselves being accommodated, and manage to find a way!

Having students drop out looks very bad for them, they have absolutely no incentive to do that.

Just focus on yourself. There is no need to be paranoid.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If you, over the period of 2-3 years, fail to attend and take steps to manage your mental health (discussing with uni, arranging time off/sabbaticals, seeing your doctor and engaging with self-management) then you'll end up getting excluded. As you can imagine, though, that's pretty hard to do!

You may end up having to repeat a year or something if you fail to meet the standards due to difficulties with your mental health - as you might expect - but I think universities overall are sympathetic if you're forthright with them. Submit extenuating circumstances now, see your healthcare professionals, and start making positive steps. Lots of medical students suffer from physical and mental health problems that interfere with their studies - and almost all of them find themselves being accommodated, and manage to find a way!

Having students drop out looks very bad for them, they have absolutely no incentive to do that.

Just focus on yourself. There is no need to be paranoid.

Thank you for the support. Biggest concern is that one attachment Psych I have been asked to do remedial work. I do feel a-little anxious/paranoid, but I have been open and been seeing GP/Psychiatrist. I have been waiting for CBT for a year and is key. I think i need reassurance.
Thank you for the support. Biggest concern is that one attachment Psych I have been asked to do remedial work. I do feel a-little anxious/paranoid, but I have been open and been seeing GP/Psychiatrist. I have been waiting for CBT for a year and is key. I think i need reassurance.

You do need to work with the med school on this one, so that they understand where you are coming from, and set helpful goals.
It doesnt stop you needing to remediate, as they do have to assure the GMC that everyone coming out at the end has been properly training. So you may need to do some repeating, it isnt a ‘get out of jail free’ pass. But what it does is ensure they put the right adjustments and support in for you so that you can be successful.
It may be that they can speed up the wait for CBT for example.
Original post by HHaricot
You do need to work with the med school on this one, so that they understand where you are coming from, and set helpful goals.
It doesnt stop you needing to remediate, as they do have to assure the GMC that everyone coming out at the end has been properly training. So you may need to do some repeating, it isnt a ‘get out of jail free’ pass. But what it does is ensure they put the right adjustments and support in for you so that you can be successful.
It may be that they can speed up the wait for CBT for example.

Of course! I believe I can do it, just had have had difficulties at the time.

You have to meet the standards for assessment set, otherwise the school would be in trouble with the GMC! The remedial work is them giving you the chance to do that. It doesn't reflect on your capability as a student. Hopefully they can be a bit flexible with deadlines for you if things are really struggling.
Anyone have any suggestions for a surgery related audit that could be done in primary care? In 3rd year and we have about 3 to 4 months to complete it.
Thanks in advance
I'm curious about calculating renal plasma flow and the GFR. Why exactly is PAH used instead of inulin to measure the former?
The only difference between them is that a portion of PAH is secreted from the tubular cells (which I understand would be a problem in calculating the GFR since not all of it forms the ultrafiltrate), but both are effectively fully excreted in urine. Hence, couldn't you just use inulin concentration in the renal artery versus its urine concentration to get the renal plasma flow? Why wouldn't this work lol?
Anyone here from LNR foundation school? Can you give me an idea into what the hospitals is like? the area? costs? etc Thinking of applying but need more information! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending