The Student Room Group

Skipping a year to do apprenticeship? I need some advice

Hi all, I just finished foundation year at university, I did reasonably well although I didn’t do quite well as I was expecting to. My plan was to do the foundation year and then transfer to another university (much desired university and closer to where I live) after, but I was not able to pass one of the units and just got a compensated pass instead and was not given the chance to redo the exam this summer, therefore I got rejected from the university that I want to transfer to because I did not pass one of the units.

Although my university is now offering me to do a degree that is slightly different from what I originally wanted to do. I needed to get at least 60% and pass all units in order to do my desired degree, fortunately I managed to get 58% overall, however I don’t know if the university would allow me to do the degree if I missed 2%. I am quite disappointed to myself.

Now I am thinking of skipping the year but not dropping out completely and probably do some job or apprenticeship for a while and then reapply next year to another university but I don’t know much about apprenticeships i.e. how it works, and what the employers would expect from me etc. and not too sure if I would still be able to reclaim my place to start a degree on the following year.

So I guess I could just summarise my question(s) as:• How does apprenticeship work? Is it like a normal job? Do the employers expect you to be able to do most thing without any supervision?
Would I still be able to continue to university should I change my mind and comeback to do the degree a year after?
Will universities likely to accept me without recent and formal education after?
How will I improve my application next year so I won’t be rejected again?

I am thinking about it really really hard because I don't know if I would want to spend 3 years doing a degree that I don't really have a passion with in a university where I am not so happy with.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by lnux
Hi all, I just finished foundation year at university, I did reasonably well although I didn’t do quite well as I was expecting to. My plan was to do the foundation year and then transfer to another university (much desired university and closer to where I live) after, but I was not able to pass one of the units and just got a compensated pass instead and was not given the chance to redo the exam this summer, therefore I got rejected from the university that I want to transfer to because I did not pass one of the units.

Although my university is now offering me to do a degree that is slightly different from what I originally wanted to do. I needed to get at least 60% and pass all units in order to do my desired degree, fortunately I managed to get 58% overall, however I don’t know if the university would allow me to do the degree if I missed 2%. I am quite disappointed to myself.

Now I am thinking of skipping the year but not dropping out completely and probably do some job or apprenticeship for a while and then reapply next year to another university but I don’t know much about apprenticeships i.e. how it works, and what the employers would expect from me etc. and not too sure if I would still be able to reclaim my place to start a degree on the following year.

So I guess I could just summarise my question(s) as:• How does apprenticeship work? Is it like a normal job? Do the employers expect you to be able to do most thing without any supervision?
Would I still be able to continue to university should I change my mind and comeback to do the degree a year after?
Will universities likely to accept me without recent and formal education after?
How will I improve my application next year so I won’t be rejected again?

I am thinking about it really really hard because I don't know if I would want to spend 3 years doing a degree that I don't really have a passion with in a university where I am not so happy with.

Thanks

If you've been rejected because of your grades you're not going to be accepted just because it's a year later. Unis aren't stupid and you can't fool them like that. If you genuinely want to do an apprenticeship then do it, but don't do it just because you think you'll get better offers.

If you've been rejected because of grades then you need to improve your grades. You can try to improve other parts of your application but it might not make up for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending