The Student Room Group

Doing a level 2 apprenticeship whilst resitting?

Hello, I did my A-levels this year, and am planning to resit some exams next year. I also plan to apply to uni after resitting if I hopefully get the grades I need. The thing is there is a 15 month level 2 healthcare science apprenticeship opportunity that I'm considering doing, I meet all the criteria for it (it's lvl2 so pretty much equivalent to a GCSE) and I think it would be a good opportunity for me to do as it would give me experience in a healthcare setting which I think would be good preparation considering the field I'm considering going into, and also would let me earn some money at the same time which would be a great help. Obviously, I know this will require really good time management if I'm resitting at the same time in order to have a good performance in both the apprenticeship and the exams, its full time (37.5hrs a week, starts jan 2024 lasting 15 months). I think I can pull it off hopefully, especially since I am just revising content and I wasn't too far off from the grades I need this time. However, the other thing is the sitting exams part, I imagine some if not all the exams will clash with the apprenticeship. I'm wondering how lenient they would be here though, if I explained my situation well in advance and told them I would be sitting exams. I know it's probably unadvisible but I was wondering if anyone here would have any insight into this kind of situation, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by M_A564
Hello, I did my A-levels this year, and am planning to resit some exams next year. I also plan to apply to uni after resitting if I hopefully get the grades I need. The thing is there is a 15 month level 2 healthcare science apprenticeship opportunity that I'm considering doing, I meet all the criteria for it (it's lvl2 so pretty much equivalent to a GCSE) and I think it would be a good opportunity for me to do as it would give me experience in a healthcare setting which I think would be good preparation considering the field I'm considering going into, and also would let me earn some money at the same time which would be a great help. Obviously, I know this will require really good time management if I'm resitting at the same time in order to have a good performance in both the apprenticeship and the exams, its full time (37.5hrs a week, starts jan 2024 lasting 15 months). I think I can pull it off hopefully, especially since I am just revising content and I wasn't too far off from the grades I need this time. However, the other thing is the sitting exams part, I imagine some if not all the exams will clash with the apprenticeship. I'm wondering how lenient they would be here though, if I explained my situation well in advance and told them I would be sitting exams. I know it's probably unadvisible but I was wondering if anyone here would have any insight into this kind of situation, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I think if you truly want to do the apprenticeship, and are planning on doing A-levels, it would be best to be honest as you said when applying and explain your situation. That being said, they may not allow it. If they do end up accepting you on to the apprenticeship and allowing you to resit your A-level exams at the same time, you would probably have to prove that it wouldn't affect your studies related to the apprenticeship. I don't know if they would accept this though, because if you have exams on days which you are supposed to be working, it wouldn't be fair for you to get paid during those times, and I think that would be the main reason they can't have you resitting A-level exams whilst being on apprenticeship. Also, it would be difficult to study for A-levels exams, even as you mentioned you wouldn't have to do much studying for your resits, it would still take a toll on you because apprenticeships require much more work than A-levels - not only are you working a 9-5, you've got coursework + an End Point Assessment to prepare for which will occur at the end of your apprenticeship. It’s important that you consider all of that in case you end up doing that. Although, it is only a Level 2 apprenticeship as opposed to a Degree Apprenticeship where much more money is spent on an Apprentice, so they could be lenient and allow you to do it.

However, an alternative solution could be to do the apprenticeship, and resit your A-level exams the next academic year. It's a much more plausible solution, and makes life easer for you, even if you'll be delaying things. Just make sure you ask people around you for their advice, like if you've still got access to someone like a careers advisor or teacher at your Sixth Form/College, definitely ask their advice before making any decisions. Hope it all goes well!
Reply 2
Original post by M_A564

I think that's a big ask. You will be working full time, studying part time for the apprenticeship and attempting to resit A levels. Working and studying isn't a breeze.
Perhaps the employer would not be very happy about putting someone through the apprenticeship if they knew that they intended to leave straight after and that they would not be in a position to give the apprenticeship 100% either.
What job would you be qualified for at the end of the apprenticeship? And would there subsequently be a chance of doing a degree apprenticeship in something like Nursing, Occupational Therapy or Speech & Language Therapy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending