The Student Room Group

HELPPP PLS cool apprenticeship or uni straight

I have an offer to study cs at a good uni. But I’m on a gap year. I also applied to apprenticeships just in case i didn’t like the unis I got into. I actually managed to get this really insanely cool software engineering one for a year. Now the problem is if I take this I’ll be 20 when I go uni as I already took a gap year. All my friends would be graduating but I’d be just starting uni. At the same time I’d be loosing this amazing apprenticeship opportunity so I have no idea what to do.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Why not follow this apprenticeship with a degree apprenticeship and skip uni altogether?
I think Computer Science is one of those areas where this route is a very good alternative pathway.
Original post by bdhdurjdj
I have an offer to study cs at a good uni. But I’m on a gap year. I also applied to apprenticeships just in case i didn’t like the unis I got into. I actually managed to get this really insanely cool software engineering one for a year. Now the problem is if I take this I’ll be 20 when I go uni as I already took a gap year. All my friends would be graduating but I’d be just starting uni. At the same time I’d be loosing this amazing apprenticeship opportunity so I have no idea what to do.

It doesn't matter what age you start uni or about when your friends graduate. There will be lots of 'older' students around if you do go to uni at age 20. Take the apprenticeship - it will add to you CV.
Reply 3
I agree, I think you'll regret it if you don't
Reply 4
Take the apprenticeship every time. Its harder to get experience that to get into university.
Reply 5
Original post by totallyfine
Why not follow this apprenticeship with a degree apprenticeship and skip uni altogether?
I think Computer Science is one of those areas where this route is a very good alternative pathway.

I’d be losing an offer from a top 5 target uni
Reply 6

No, you aren't losing anything - you can reapply later.

Uni will always be there, this apprenticeship offer will not be.
Reply 7

Which top 5 target university? Tbh I might change my advice given the competitiveness of CS. Might they let you postpone for a year?
Reply 8

Do the one year apprenticeship and then go uni. 21 is not even old. There will be people on your degree course who will be much older. No one cares.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Which top 5 target university? Tbh I might change my advice given the competitiveness of CS. Might they let you postpone for a year?

Yeah, you are right about that. But the competitive of the workplace would suggest having the apprenticeship on the CV would be better.

Hi! We're going to go off of a few assumptions and assume the apprenticeship is paid and won't automatically extend. On that basis, it's worth thinking that gap years are very common amongst students entering university and taking that year out (and being paid!) will help mitigate some of that initial university cost and debt. Going to university at 20 means you'll graduate at 23/24 but without having to take a big loan out for university you're actually in an equal/better position- also, with CS-related applications, experience tends to weigh a lot in job interviews given how many university graduates there are - so the additional experience will definitely help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending