The Student Room Group

2017 Investment Banking Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qnrsmith673
hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. Just have a quick question about background checks.

In my last 2 years at school I had a part time job doing some tutoring - this was entirely self organised with family friends and barely paid at all and was pretty irregular.

I listed it as a self-employed paid job on my cv (which it was and tbf i learnt quite a lot from it) but am slightly worried about being asked to verify it in a background check - i have no official evidence of this as it was all cash in hand. How would this work with a screening company?

thanks

they may ask you if u have any accounting history - which u say no - then they let it slide

its nothing to worry about
Original post by thebadboy761
Need some advice.

Right now I have zero IB experience and I would like to break into the industry. I'm a law graduate with heavy corporate M&A and ECM work experience. I've been looking for off-cycles and have been to some final rounds but with no returns.

Would completing a summer internship with EY in their Transactions team assist me? If yes, which team would be better, Business Valuations or Business Modelling?

Thanks!

that summer intern would help in landing a grad role in transactions team at a big4, to get grad scheme at an IB, you would more often than not need direct summer/off-cycle IB experience.
Original post by gr8wizard10
that summer intern would help in landing a grad role in transactions team at a big4, to get grad scheme at an IB, you would more often than not need direct summer/off-cycle IB experience.

Yep - that's what I'm going to do. Big4 Transaction internship -> off-cycle -> full-time/masters (as my current visa expires then)
Original post by qnrsmith673
hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. Just have a quick question about background checks.

In my last 2 years at school I had a part time job doing some tutoring - this was entirely self organised with family friends and barely paid at all and was pretty irregular.

I listed it as a self-employed paid job on my cv (which it was and tbf i learnt quite a lot from it) but am slightly worried about being asked to verify it in a background check - i have no official evidence of this as it was all cash in hand. How would this work with a screening company?

thanks

If they can't verify, they will ask you to sign a "Statement of Fact" to confirm it happened - basically a legal form stating that even though they can't verify it, you did do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys know when banks tend to offer most off-cycles (in London for M&A)?

I am a last year student and will very likely graduate in december (to write my MSc thesis). Hence, I would ideally start an off-cycle at around january 2018. But it would be extremely helpful to know when these positions tend to come up in order to be better prepared.

Thanks in advance.
Does anyone know why Jefferies reopened for grad? Did offer holders rescind?

I did the numerical test on Friday and I think I mucked it up.. very different from the usual tests, much harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been to HSBC's AC for a business interview, analysis exercise, situational judgement exercise and a group exercise and can share how their experiences were like? Going to one for Securities Services in London next week :smile: Thanks!
Hi,

I have a telephone interview for the London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) Business Graduate Programme 2017 on Monday the 6th of February next week.

I would like to ask anyone who has had their telephone interview for this graduate programme or any graduate programme at the LSEG the following questions

What questions were you asked?

Were all the questions strength/competency/motivation questions?

Were there any technical questions?

I would also like to ask what advice do you have on how to best prepare for the interview?

Thanks!
Hey guys! does anyone have information for the Job Simulation for HSBC? Would greatly be appreciated, particularly the video interview questions :smile:
Has anyone heard back from HSBC for the Commercial Banking Global Graduate program? I just realised it's been almost 2 months since I did the job simulator but haven't heard anything at all and the online portal still says my application is under consideration? Not sure if they're just being super slow at processing applications or slow at sending me a rejection!
I've got a pack of around 70 screenshotted SHL numerical and verbal reasoning questions. Most of them have the correct answers. PM if you're interested
I started a WhatsApp group for IBD. Pm me if you want me to add you

Quick Reply

Latest