The Student Room Group

Graphics card

Hello. Just bought a new graphics card for Sims2...its called geforce fx 5200. I cannot seem to fit it into my cpu :s-smilie:..this black box shaped thing on the card won't allow me to do so...i have no clue about graphics card or computers either. I have intel pentium 3 and the original graphics card is called intel 82510 ( i think cause i'm using the pc at the library)...I also have like a free brown slot on the moterboard thingy..Also, should all graphics work in any cpu??? i need help!
Reply 1
There are two types of 'slots' for a graphics card; one is AGP and the other being PCI. If you are using a PCI card on an AGP motherboard, you're not going to be able to get it to fit.

Do you happen to know whether the 5200 is AGP or PCI? It shouldn't be too much of a hassle for cost to get a new one considering you can buy one for about £20 nowadays.
the graphics card, if "AGP" should fit in the brown slot on the motherboard. If "PCI" or "PCIe" it won't fit and you'll have to return it.
Reply 3
Although the question's already been answered by the above posts, this belongs in the general Tech forum, not Gaming :smile:

I hate hardware...give me a software problem any day....makes me wonder how the hell I've become the authority in my house for fixing the ****ing TVs and DVD players when my mum cocks them up :s:
Dalimyr
Although the question's already been answered by the above posts, this belongs in the general Tech forum, not Gaming :smile:

I hate hardware...give me a software problem any day....makes me wonder how the hell I've become the authority in my house for fixing the ****ing TVs and DVD players when my mum cocks them up :s:

you moved it before i reported it. that's speedy. :p:
Reply 5
I was thinking you'd forgotten to report it, actually, since I moved it 15 minutes after you posted :p:
Reply 6
You need to give us more detail. The 5200 is a really old card so its going to be an AGP card. it should fit into the brown socket on your motherboard.

Latest

Trending

Trending