The Student Room Group

Islamophobia is the problem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
So which kind of Christian is the true Christian in terms of sects?

Protestant Reformation
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
The New Testament is nowhere near as bad as the Quran.

Rightt so the terrorists from Charlie Hebdo said "Allahu Akbar" just for the bants? Religion has everything to do with. And in case you haven't realised, if extremism wasn't to do with religion, there wouldn't be so many extreme imams who can move freely. For example, before the Orlando shootings, the vile scumbag shooter attended a conference where an imam was preaching for the murder of gay people.

No Islamophobia isn't the big problem. Why should non Muslims have to tiptoe around Muslims and be afraid to criticise the religion? It shouldn't be. We're taught to criticise and being a victim and crying out Islamophobia won't help. The big problem is the lack of backbone of some Muslim communities who fail to report signs of radicalisation and then deny any signs when its too late. The quicker that's dealt with, the better.

I never denied they existed. But can you name any Christian terror organisations that have as much funding and support as ISIS, Boko Haram and the Taliban? I agree that there will be good and bad people from every religion but we're not talking about people. We're talking about the ideology that has caused countless deaths through extremism. Considering Islam is the strictest religion in the world and there are so many people who are overly religious and blindly follow the Quran, conservatism comes out from it.

Spoiler

Original post by ZolaCFC25

Spoiler

You're under the impression that Islamophobia causes terrorism right? Gay people have had it much worse than Muslims for centuries. You don't see them shooting random people.

I'm sorry but no. While you make a point culture partly is to do with it, Religion goes hand in hand with it. I find it sickening that you are refusing to admit Islam had anything to do with the Charlie Hebdo attacks. They were Muslims who had an extreme interpretation of the Quran and were radicalised. So rules like women being covered stems from culture? I disagree. It says in the Quran that women should wear the hijab.Goes hand in hand.

Can you please point out where I said Islam should be banned? While no religion in the world would make it a nicer one, banning it won't help. You keep bringing poofy arguments and keep twisting my words. Since when is calling Muslim communities weak for not reporting radicalisation a right wing approach? Please explain.

No the difference between me and the extremists is that I know that Islam is a Middle age religion and should be open to criticism. I'm not just referring to ISIS and Boko Haram. I'm referring to countries such as Pakistan where Christians are hunted down just for criticising the Prophet M and they should criticise rightly so. I don't want a divided society. I want the radicalisation to be stopped as soon as possible. I find it great Muslims have integrated into Western society. But they fail to report early signs of radicalisation when they see it and that's the probem. However, according to people like you, who tiptoe and sugarcoat everything and play the victim, it's a right wing approach to think that.

Dear God I can't tell if you're slow, delusional or just a troll. I said to you previously in my post that we were talking about the IDEOLOGY. Not the people. I have lots of Muslim friends who are lovely people but I don't agree with the religion.

You're unbelievably naive and quite frankly, your kind of view is a disgrace to the ones who have lost people to terrorism and extremism.
(edited 7 years ago)
i think youve misworded it here. You would have to be a complete idiot to not realise the connection between terrorism and Islam.

That said, we need solutions and bashing islam isnt solving anything and is ultimately counter productive to stopping terrorism.
Islamophobia is NOT the problem. Radical Islam IS the problem.

Islamophobia is a contrived term that is used to silence any form of criticism of Islam, which is plain wrong as Islam is an ideology, and like all other ideologies it should not be free from criticism. I think you are conflating Anti-Muslim bigotry with Islamophobia, which is the harassment and discrimination towards people that are Muslim, and which is something that I completely abhor.

I just think that we should be allowed to have an open and honest discussion about the Islamic faith, and the bad elements of the faith, without being called Islamophobic, or bigoted, or racist - which are counterproductive towards achieving peace and tolerance in society.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You're under the impression that Islamophobia causes terrorism right? Gay people have had it much worse than Muslims for centuries. You don't see them shooting random people.

I'm sorry but no. While you make a point culture partly is to do with it, Religion goes hand in hand with it. I find it sickening that you are refusing to admit Islam had anything to do with the Charlie Hebdo attacks. They were Muslims who had an extreme interpretation of the Quran and were radicalised. So rules like women being covered stems from culture? I disagree. It says in the Quran that women should wear the hijab.Goes hand in hand.

Can you please point out where I said Islam should be banned? While no religion in the world would make it a nicer one, banning it won't help. You keep bringing poofy arguments and keep twisting my words. Since when is calling Muslim communities weak for not reporting radicalisation a right wing approach? Please explain.

No the difference between me and the extremists is that I know that Islam is a Middle age religion and should be open to criticism. I'm not just referring to ISIS and Boko Haram. I'm referring to countries such as Pakistan where Christians are hunted down just for criticising the Prophet M and they should criticise rightly so. I don't want a divided society. I want the radicalisation to be stopped as soon as possible. I find it great Muslims have integrated into Western society. But they fail to report early signs of radicalisation when they see it and that's the probem. However, according to people like you, who tiptoe and sugarcoat everything and play the victim, it's a right wing approach to think that.

Dear God I can't tell if you're slow, delusional or just a troll. I said to you previously in my post that we were talking about the IDEOLOGY. Not the people. I have lots of Muslim friends who are lovely people but I don't agree with the religion.

You're unbelievably naive and quite frankly, your kind of view is a disgrace to the ones who have lost people to terrorism and extremism.

You are still not reading what I have written. I'll copy and paste:

The argument isn't that Islamaphobia is the only reason for terrorism. But denying that is an issue that leads to radicalisation due to identity issues and a lack of belonging, is bizarre.

I did not say you said Islam should be banned.

I did not say Islam had nothing to do with the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

Regarding the Hijab, many Muslims choose not to wear one... so it is not a 'rule' that all Muslims follow.

And you mention radicalisation... yet you believe Islamophobia doesn't aid the process of radicalisation. Please then explain the home-grown terror threat that never existed before this century. Those who radicalise use this as bait, along with their one-sided view on Western foreign policy. It is a contributing factor, along with cultural conservatism and the growing cult of terrorism justified by skewed 'jihad'. Rightly or wrongly, many young Muslims do not feel British. If they feel part of the broader culture and see that as their identity, then they won't attack their own people so hideously.

You are also generalising Pakistan. There is a clash there between liberals fighting for democracy and a minority of conservative extremists who want to divide society, along with support from a larger sympathetic minority, largely of whom are illiterate and live in tribal forms. It is, after all, a democratic country but it does have it's issues. Christians aren't hunted down by the masses, but by a few extremists. Muslims themselves suffer greatly and Pakistan, besides Iraq, has suffered the most in the War on Terror (you could argue the most, since the Iraq War didn't have all that much to do with terrorism) and to think that the people aren't against extremism is farfetched.
I don't think that is entirely the case. Being a lesbian myself, I faced a lot of hard times throughout school. For example a Muslim girl befriended me only to try and convert me to Islam a few months into the friendship, repeatedly harassing me and screaming at me in school. I forgave her and moved on because I didn't want to heighten tensions. As other people have said, the LGBT community has faced extreme hardships throughout history, at the hands of many religions and groups of people (over something that we don't even have a say in, no less! - at least you get to choose your religion), leading to us often feeling alienated, but there hasn't ever been any large-scale gay terrorist organisations. Most of us just want to be able to live free from fear and judgement, and we're slowly getting there (in the west) because the majority of us don't hate or want to live entirely separated from straight people, and want to live in harmony, despite how we are treated by a few ignorant people.

Oppression is a tricky thing but I don't think violence and terror is ever the answer. Unfortunately, if a group of people thinks you are a threat, acting out towards them is just going to make everything worse, make people fear you more, and lead to more alienation, so it becomes a vicious cycle.
looks like everyone took the bait

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending