The Student Room Group

Why is this considered immoral?

When a trader makes a trade that profits on an event which ruins lives ( floods, terrorist attacks etc). I think people just love to whine when someone seizes an opportunity and profits from it despite that trader not CAUSING anything.
Reply 1
For example if during 9/11 a trader shorted airline stocks and made a killing why is that so evil, the airline stocks would go down regardless of what you do so why is more noble to not act and miss out on a lot of money
Thats ironic, you are whining about people whining
Reply 3
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Thats ironic, you are whining about people whining

Well if i think people are whining for no reason and being quite stupid about it then my whine is justified. Even if my views are wrong
Original post by loomynarty
Well if i think people are whining for no reason and being quite stupid about it then my whine is justified. Even if my views are wrong

I personally have never seen someone whining about profiting off an event
Well if i think people are whining for no reason and being quite stupid about it then my whine is justified. Even if my views are wrong[/Q

So the question is why do people vehemently complain or 'whine' about people making profits from a mass disaster.

I will begin by concuring the profiters are making the best out of a bad situation, like scavenging food after a war. Morally, I partially do not see a problem. Doctors profit monetary and emptionally from sick patients. Firemen from burning flames. Loansharks, directors, shop owners, tycoons, all profit from a bad situation ehrtger its poverty or threat of poverty. To upkeep society people need to have roles against bad situations and to stop earning money because of a disaster is harmful to the person anf society.

On the contrary, people have been harmed from a disaster. Morally, a person shouldn't gloat about their reward from it because it may be extremly upsetting for those involved. If everyone boasted about their rewards, those in disasters would distrust society and perchance there would be a revolution or some sort of civil dispute.

In conclusion, its fine for a person to profit from a disaster, if it doesn't involve any contravention. However to gloat and pubically celebrate, whilst its their right, could be considered wrong for reasons of callousness and social splits.
other quote broke
Reply 7
You have to remember the difference between Investing and Speculating. A trader is always speculating and an investor is investing. In the long run, all good companies stocks will rise and all bad companies stocks will fall.

Generally the market as a whole will rise in the long run due to the nature of productivity and an increasing workforce in the world.

When you trade you are speculating, sure the airlines companies stocks will drop for the next few days....but in the long run, they will rise. Look at boeing stock from 2001 to now, it has dramatically risen given even 9/11.

So is it immoral, it depends. I don't own Tobacco stocks for that very reason, I don't want to make money off killing people. It's who I am. Some other people are happy doing this and good luck to them, tobacco companies are very profitable.
For example if during 9/11 a trader shorted airline stocks and made a killing why is that so evil, the airline stocks would go down regardless of what you do so why is more noble to not act and miss out on a lot of money

What would be immoral is not making the trade.

If I know I can make a huge profit off an activity legally, what kind of stupid morality would say I shouldn't make the trade and instead just let others who don't have my moral inclinations make the profit instead?....its not a morality I am interested in, I tell you that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I wouldn't call it immoral unless they ctively caused it or the like, simple good fortune on their part is nothing to be ashamed of, after all all trdes have a winner and looser.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending