The Student Room Group

Experiences coming off the pill (Microgynon)?

A couple of months ago my long term relationship ended, and as I'd been on the pill for a long time and I don't anticipate needing regular contraception for a while, I decided to come off Microgynon after over four years. I didn't stop at the end of a pack but took the first few pills of a new one as I had exams and Microgynon made my PMS symptoms worse, sometimes almost to the point that I felt like I was coming down with flu, I just ached all over and would feel really tired for a day or so - it also made my cramps a lot more painful than they were before I went on it, and I'd get quite bad headaches towards the end of the pill free week.

Had my withdrawal bleed as normal, although it did last a couple of days longer, and then a week with nothing, after which I spotted for 11 days. That's since stopped and I started getting a heavy, dull ache in my lower abdomen, back pain, a headache and felt a bit nauseous - this feels like the PMS symptoms I had when I was on Microgynon, but worse. If my cycle had been regular, my period would have been due today, but...nothing yet. Feeling like this for a few days is actually making me wish my period would just start so the PMS goes away! Is this normal when coming off the pill after so long? I never had regular periods before I went on it, and I was told by my GP I'd probably go back to how I was. I doubt I would be pregnant as I haven't had sex in nearly 3 months. The unpredictability is actually already making me wish I'd stayed on it but I'll give it a bit more time!

What are your experiences of coming off Microgynon, or other combined contraceptive pills?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BlueSheep32
A couple of months ago my long term relationship ended, and as I'd been on the pill for a long time and I don't anticipate needing regular contraception for a while, I decided to come off Microgynon after over four years. I didn't stop at the end of a pack but took the first few pills of a new one as I had exams and Microgynon made my PMS symptoms worse, sometimes almost to the point that I felt like I was coming down with flu, I just ached all over and would feel really tired for a day or so - it also made my cramps a lot more painful than they were before I went on it, and I'd get quite bad headaches towards the end of the pill free week.

Had my withdrawal bleed as normal, although it did last a couple of days longer, and then a week with nothing, after which I spotted for 11 days. That's since stopped and I started getting a heavy, dull ache in my lower abdomen, back pain, a headache and felt a bit nauseous - this feels like the PMS symptoms I had when I was on Microgynon, but worse. If my cycle had been regular, my period would have been due today, but...nothing yet. Feeling like this for a few days is actually making me wish my period would just start so the PMS goes away! Is this normal when coming off the pill after so long? I never had regular periods before I went on it, and I was told by my GP I'd probably go back to how I was. I doubt I would be pregnant as I haven't had sex in nearly 3 months. The unpredictability is actually already making me wish I'd stayed on it but I'll give it a bit more time!

What are your experiences of coming off Microgynon, or other combined contraceptive pills?

same experience as getting of heroin
Reply 2
I came off Microgynon 30 almost a year ago after a holiday (started again a few months after since I got into a new relationship) and I felt a lot better for coming off it. I generally just felt healthier but I hated the irregular periods, but I had been like that before I started it. It messed with my body once I went back on and left me bleeding for over a month, so that was fun.

Quick Reply

Latest