The Student Room Group

Conflicted regarding my degree choice.

Hello, for around a month or so I've been feeling a lot of regret for my choice of degree. I've chosen to study English Literature, yet now I feel that I had only done so because I was rushed - I wish I had chosen something like politics, or international relations. For around six months know I've been unable to read for 'fun', and have simply had very little passion regarding English.

So what do we think, that this is cold feet before going off to university? Would there be any way in which I could change my degree choice, and more importantly would that even be a good idea in itself.

Original post by McDonough
Hello, for around a month or so I've been feeling a lot of regret for my choice of degree. I've chosen to study English Literature, yet now I feel that I had only done so because I was rushed - I wish I had chosen something like politics, or international relations. For around six months know I've been unable to read for 'fun', and have simply had very little passion regarding English.

So what do we think, that this is cold feet before going off to university? Would there be any way in which I could change my degree choice, and more importantly would that even be a good idea in itself.

Have you thought about clearing and adjustment, or taking a gap year?
Depending on the university there may be the opportunity to switch your course within the first term of university, or you could try contacting your university and simply explaining to them the situation. The university may be able to simply move you onto a politics/ international relations course.

There is the potential that you are having cold feet - I would suggest that you have a really thorough read of the course specification and see how you feel about the prospect of studying that for four years. Maybe compare it to a Politics/International relations course and see which you feel you would enjoy studying most or would do well in?
Original post by McDonough

If your firm offers politics or IR then ring them up and ask if you can swap now (don't wait until results to ask - the sooner you start the conversation the higher your chances of success).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending