The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

One of my choices before deciding to apply for Graphic Design was architecture, and It seems that Graphics would be a good choice, but all the top universities/courses ask for Maths and/or Physics, So your advice was good :smile:

I think UCL or Kings College London does architecture without asking for maths - but thats the only one I found that didnt.
Reply 2
Thank you :biggrin: So is it possible do do some training course to become an architect instead of doing a degree?
Reply 3
steerpike1985
I'm doing this mentoring scheme at my school, and one of the chlderen I'm teaching said he wants to be an architect but Is ensure what A-levels he needs. I suggested Graphics, Physics and Maths. Do you have to have those A-levels? Can you become an architect without doing the degree?

Any links would be useful, thanks.

I think there are two types of Architecture course - one (as you suggest) is mainly mathematical/engineering but I'm sur there is an Art-oriented course where your Art portfolio becomes important. Send a pm to Pencil Queen - she would be the fount of wisdom of these matters
Reply 4
qualification as an architect depends on 3 public examinations. being on a bachelors and then masters degree course would exempt you from the first two exams usually (depends on RIBA accreditation for the course). id imagine itd be an uphill struggle to learn purely vocationally rather than at uni/art college.
Reply 5
id definately suggest art. its a big plus
Well some Unis that ask for specific subject, but definitely evidence of creativity e.g A-level Art and/or portfolio. Most universities prefer a mixture of Sciences e.g. Physics/Maths and Arts. Another Uni said they'd like a subject which involves essays, e.g History/English.
Basically a broad range seems to be the best:smile:
Reply 7
how about if im doing Art, Photography, Design and IT? Is that would be possible to get to Architecture course?
Reply 8
you can get on architecture degree, without maths or sciences. however, its pretty essential that you do some some "arty" based subject. Such as Design Tech, Product Design, or Art.

If your confident you can score highly on a science or a maths subject, then it may be wise to take it as an additional helper.

http://www.careersinarchitecture.net/ - this site has given me all the info i need. If theres any thing at all i can help you with please pm me.
Do uni's really prefer applicants to have an essay type subject ? and does this mean that the course involves quite a bit of written work?
Reply 10
Depends on the university really. Different universities want different things. It's usually safe to have one creative subject, one technical and one essay based - architecture is pretty much a mix of all the subject fields, and you need to be good at a lot of things if you're going to cut it in this field :smile:
Reply 11
you can do a lot of creative things like model based work within the course, but naturally as with any course there will be some written stuff.

Alevels

ESSENTIAL: one art based subject (DT, Product Design, Art or Graphics)
If you can score A/B - Physics or Maths

Make sure u have 3 alevels in total though.

For detailed subject guidence, try a uni;s website.

Additional Requirements

+ build up extra curricular activities to do with architecture, this will help you on interview in the course. Make sure you state these within your application & personal statement.

+ Unis like a good portfolio that has a wide range of skills within it - models are always a bonus. You will no doubt need this for the interview.
Reply 12
im going to london to study architecture, what i found there is they are mostly interated in your art. most times they will ask you for an interview and this will be basically going over your art portfoili. i did IB and my highers were Art, Urdu and Econ whilst my standards were Math, Physics and English. i dont think they really care much about what your other subjects are as long as you do art, photography is a good bonus i would think. math or physics would be a good addition but i dont think both are neccessary, one of either should be fine.
Reply 13
My A level subjects are nowhere close to Art or photography but I did well in my university application.

But only God knows how I'll do in university. *it think it's gonna be horrible!*
Though I'm pretty comforatble with pencils and paper. It's innate.
Reply 14
I never did Art at GCSE or A-Level, yet I got 5 offers (Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, Plymouth and Portsmouth) and also had down Cambridge but withdrew that. Most of the universities don't have time these days to interview all the applicants so you're either in or your not. Prepare a portfolio just in case, but I never did.. :biggrin:
Reply 15
I think it would be best to do Maths and Physics and an Arts subject (though neccessarily an art based subject i.e art, graphics) or maybe geography. You can always do the art based stuff on top of school work like a lot of people do. In my year there is about 8 ppl doing Architecture and only two have done Alevel or GCSE Art.

DB
Any ideas on what extra curricular activities i can do over summer related to architecture ?
Reply 17
Work on your sketching - go out and sketching buildings, structures.. anything you want really.. you can practice from books too. Use various mediums for your sketching too - drawing pens, various hardnesses of pencils, etc..
Yer but i do quite a bit of drawing in art anyway so... anything else? Books ? get familiar with cad programs ? Any advice would be good, Cheers
Reply 19
There's a fair amount of advice rolling around the other thread - have a browse through that.. :smile:

You'll be taught CAD so you don't need to worry too much about that - you don't know which software package your university is using yet so it's best not to get too familiar to a particular program.

Getting to grips with Photoshop will benefit you greatly - get use to rendering and how the program works generally. Try to get your hands on current Architectural journals if you can and have a look through those.

Latest

Trending

Trending