The Student Room Group

How best to prepare?

Hi all just looking for some advise on how best to prepare

I'm hoping to study children's nursing and as I have young children I attempted studying with the open uni with the hope that once my children were a little older I could then apply for nursing however this has worked and I've failed my modules with them

So I've decided to take a year break shake myself off and start again and plan to apply for the access course and then nursing but was wondering if anyone could offer any advise on what I could be doing to prepare and make the most of this year so when the time comes I'm in the best position possible?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

How and what do you fail? Look at where you think your weaknesses lie, and work on making them your strengths.
With having little ones you need to be very organised and work on making sure you have time to yourself to go over thing and ensure you're able to complete work to deadline etc.
Look at YouTube for easy videos on anatomy and physiology and utilise your local library if you have one to see what books they may have.
There are also many groups on Facebook too that will help nursing students and keep you up to date with things.

Don't forget to also concentrate on you and your family! Make time for them and yourself and focus on you. Stress can be positive but can also be a hindrance too.
Look at volunteer work that can help, ie st John ambulance or the red cross.
These will help your people skills, help your clinical skills and also be a great thing to use when applying for nursing.
Of course, any volunteering role working with members of the public are good but I would advocate charities such as those as they really are a good stepping stone.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by deviant182

Hi thanks for the reply

I failed because I just had too much going on, on top of coursework and usually daily life with children I had several hospital appointments my daughter had an op last year and my son had one this year, plus a few other hospital appointments plus I got married in Feb. I was just spreading myself too thinly and something was bound to suffer unfortunately that was my studies but my family had to come first and studies can always be redone

Thankfully things are calming down not as many hospital appointments, and my youngest is starting nursery in Sep, I'm giving myself a year when he will be in full time school, to take a breath and get a plan in action before I start studying again but I also don't want to sit back and do nothing, I considered looking at doing volunteering whilst my son is in nursery (our local hospital in 5mins away) but I will also look at the suggestions you made

thank you again
Hi, I am starting my access course this September & hope to study adult nursing next September. I volunteer at my local hospital & I think it's great experience. It can take a while to get everything in order (references/DBS check) so I'd start looking at the voluntary opportunities now.
St John Ambulance & Red Cross would be good too, like Deviant182 said.
You could always see if there are Bank Care Assistant Opportunies at Care Homes near you (they don't normally require experience) to gain experience in healthcare.
I'd recommend going to Open Days of the Universities you want to apply to, I found them a really good way to get more information about applying for the course & got lots of advice from academics & current students.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!
Reply 4
You sound kind of like me. I had my children young and waited till I was 19 till I did my access (my kids where 3 and 1) so by the time I'd finished access I still didn't feel I wanted to leave them so young so I did another degree in health and social and managed to get myself a job in a care home aswell. It was hard juggling uni and a job but that's what nursing is! Just as I started my degree I got a job as a hca on a surgical ward....amazing experience. I'd literally already seen it all before I started my nurse training so it was a great head start. So now my kids are 6 and 8 :smile: I started my nursing in March after being a hca for 3 years (loved my job found it hard to leave). I'm still only 25 so not wasted too much time. All I'd say is yes wait till your kids are older because it is very hard with children and childcare is a nightmare (mine are off for summer and I'm working full time on placement :frown: ). It's all about managing your time well. When your kids aren't around get your work done! I'd strongly advise you do not waste this year though. You NEED some work experience. Take your cvs to care homes, look on nhs jobs constantly (I used to sit up every night at midnight waiting for new jobs to be put on!) if you really want it be like I was and do everything you can to make yourself the best!!! The best of luck. Keep us posted X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending