The Student Room Group

Going home from university.

Hi, I'm not sure when we have to go home.

I've heard that you go home between terms during the first year. If this is true is it just for the first year whilst you're in halls or is it the same for any other year?

When you move out of halls into other accomodation do you just live there all year round?

Finally what do international students do about going back between terms? I have friends coming from Estonia and the USA.
Most people go home between terms in all years although your rent covers the whole year up to about June or even July

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

I've heard that you go home between terms during the first year. If this is true is it just for the first year whilst you're in halls or is it the same for any other year?

When you move out of halls into other accomodation do you just live there all year round?

Finally what do international students do about going back between terms? I have friends coming from Estonia and the USA.

Hello :smile:

From personal experience at my university and living in halls during First Year, between terms (it was usually a week or two) you had to move out of halls and go back home for that time. They were circumstances where you could stay in halls for that time but it just depending on what the situation was. You live in halls term to term with a break in the middle etc. Usually in halls it's all first years with an exception of a couple of second years or third years so generally everyone has to move on but it depends on the university and their accommodation rules. I'd contact your university.

When it comes to moving out of halls in living in student accommodation you generally live there all year round. You normally sign a contract for 11 months which gives a months grace at the end of your contract if they need to find people to move in - should you decide to move out. For example, my contract currently ran from the 5th September 2015 to the 4th August 2016 but I'm moving out of this house and I've been in it pretty much everyday all year round. It's not like halls because it's basically your house.

Best of luck!
It depends on your uni really. I stayed in my halls pretty much every day for the whole of my first year because they didn't make us move out over the holidays. Most people tended to go home anyway to see their families, but we didn't have to. They even let us extend our contract to stay in halls over the summer if we wanted!

The person above explained renting after the first year very well so I won't repeat it!

I'd have a look on your accommodation website because it should say if they want you to move out in between terms :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Many unis have different let lengths for accommodation, term dates only, term dates and vacations or full year. Once you go into private accommodation then you usually have to pay the full year or 11 months depending on the landlord.
With my student halls and everyone else in Liverpool, (to my knowledge) it was that your contract started on the 19th of September (start of freshers week for me) until 8th of July. Between those dates I could stay in the flat all day everyday if I wanted to. Besides my course didn't have reading weeks (half terms) and as such I only went home for Christmas and Easter.

My house contract for next year started 22nd of July, so I can now go and collect my keys, move in anytime I want between now and the start of my course. But we've decided to move in on the 10th of September, two weeks before we start Uni again. The other poster described how houses work so I wont.
Your uni will have their own policy for this, at mine the people in self-catered halls could stay there for the entire year up until their contract ran out, people in catered halls had to leave in between terms as their rooms would be used for people coming for conferences over the holidays, this was made clear before we applied.
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

Whether you have to go home between terms while in halls in first year depends on the length of the contract you have. Some contracts cover christmas & easter (Typically those 38 weeks or more), others don't (typically those around the 32 week mark). Pretty much all contracts offered to undergraduates end in June or July time, meaning you have to move out in the Summer. However some universities offer students the option to apply for a new contract over summer if for whatever reason they can't go home or can't move into second year housing yet. In private accomodation the room is yours for the duration of the contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending