The Student Room Group

PGDip Nursing (Pre-registration) courses.

As the NHS bursary is being scrapped and the new postgraduate loan is only available for 'Masters' qualifications, am I correct in assuming there is NO funding at all (other than private loans) for the PGDip Nursing (pre-registration) courses?

Or can you get a student loan to cover these as they were previously funded by the NHS?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Original post by Greatestnerd
As the NHS bursary is being scrapped and the new postgraduate loan is only available for 'Masters' qualifications, am I correct in assuming there is NO funding at all (other than private loans) for the PGDip Nursing (pre-registration) courses?

Or can you get a student loan to cover these as they were previously funded by the NHS?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

There are still bursaries for people starting a PGDip in 2016/17 academic year.

The bursaries are scrapped for 2017/18 (students starting courses "on or after 1 August 2017")

The statement from the Universities minister said "Further details on the undergraduate student package and support arrangements for postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students from 1 August 2017 onwards will be set out in the Government’s consultation response which is being published in due course." http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statements/?page=1&max=20&questiontype=AllQuestions&house=commons%2Clords&member=4039

It's possible they'll announce some form of funding/loans for PGDips (especially considering they're preferred by most Health Education commissioning groups) but at this point in time there's no solid answer on what that will be - bursary will be gone and masters loans wont apply.
Original post by PQ
There are still bursaries for people starting a PGDip in 2016/17 academic year.

The bursaries are scrapped for 2017/18 (students starting courses "on or after 1 August 2017":wink:

The statement from the Universities minister said "Further details on the undergraduate student package and support arrangements for postgraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery and allied health professional students from 1 August 2017 onwards will be set out in the Government’s consultation response which is being published in due course." http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statements/?page=1&max=20&questiontype=AllQuestions&house=commons%2Clords&member=4039

It's possible they'll announce some form of funding/loans for PGDips (especially considering they're preferred by most Health Education commissioning groups) but at this point in time there's no solid answer on what that will be - bursary will be gone and masters loans wont apply.

I googled and googled but must of over looked that so thank you. I'll keep my eye out!
It's 2017 I'm applying for, just getting a head start as I want my application in asap but don't want to apply for the pgdip if I've got no way of funding it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending