The Student Room Group

2 dead, 100+ injured in Hospital air strike

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36926063

2 people have been killed in a coalition air strike on a Save the Children maternity hospital in northwest Syria.

Although coalition air strikes on ISIS happen hundreds of times a day, it's rare that hospitals get hit. Hospitals and schools are two buildings internationally recognised as no-go areas for air strikes.

RIP to the victims and hopefully the injured will make a quick recovery.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36926063

2 people have been killed in a coalition air strike on a Save the Children maternity hospital in northwest Syria.

Although coalition air strikes on ISIS happen hundreds of times a day, it's rare that hospitals get hit. Hospitals and schools are two buildings internationally recognised as no-go areas for air strikes.

RIP to the victims and hopefully the injured will make a quick recovery.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was referring to a union strike of labour and was so outraged for the few seconds the thread took to load :mmm: :tongue:

That being said I'm even more outraged that this happened. Surprised? Not at all. But this is further proof of the mindlessness and lack of sense in many attacks carried out by the "infallible" coalition

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
When I first read the thread title I thought it was referring to a union strike of labour and was so outraged for the few seconds the thread took to load :mmm: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. I'll change the thread title.
How was this allowed to happen? This is absolutely shocking.
Reply 4
Original post by donutellme
How was this allowed to happen? This is absolutely shocking.

I know. It's just awful
Not the first time. An "MSF" hospital in Afghanistan was bombed by Nato
How do these buffoons get away with these things?
Reply 7
While not excusing it (it is, as the article points out, illegal to hit such places) mistakes happen for any number of reasons.
1 - buildings from the top look the same. Very rarely do hospitals have signs on the roof.
2 - people on the ground have incorrectly identified the building (as happened in the Afghani MSF case).
3 - the building's location has not been passed on correctly.
4 - humans make mistakes.

The list is not exhaustive, there could be a myriad of reasons behind it, a mixture of some, all or none.
Reply 8
Horrible.
Original post by mercuryman
How do these buffoons get away with these things?

baffoons?
Edited to clarify, now that I'm not on my phone. This hospital air strike took place in a town in Idlib province (Kafr Takharim, which is north west of Idlib city, near the Turkish border), and there is no ISIS presence anywhere in this province. The nearest ISIS territory is in the northern Aleppo countryside which is miles away. It's unclear exactly who did it, but there is absolutely no indication that the anti-ISIS coalition had anything to do with this, as they have no reason to be bombing this area. A Syrian or Russian air strike is far more likely, considering they're targeting Nusra and non-ISIS rebels in the area and have been for a long time.

*Further edit to quote these people so they see.

Original post by Trapz99

Original post by redwhiteandbrit
But this is further proof of the mindlessness and lack of sense in many attacks carried out by the "infallible" coalition
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending