The Student Room Group

Radiography or Midwifery?

I am confused on whether to do an undergraduate degree in radiography or midwifery. I've had experience in both areas and it is kinda hard to choose as i enjoyed it both department. Please help me by giving me your opinions :smile: what do you guys think? because i don't wanna regret my decisions and be hasty about it.Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by btecs098
I am confused on whether to do an undergraduate degree in radiography or midwifery. I've had experience in both areas and it is kinda hard to choose as i enjoyed it both department. Please help me by giving me your opinions :smile: what do you guys think? because i don't wanna regret my decisions and be hasty about it.Thank you

Radiography. Less stress
Original post by btecs098

Do you prefer to spend more time with patients, and be more directly involved in their care? Or are you more interested in the science and tech behind healthcare, and possibly would rather see a wider variety of clinical cases? They should help guide you.

If you are still really torn after considering these options then either: 1) take some time out, possibly get some shadowing or work experience in these areas, or 2) some midwives eventually also qualify as sonographer, allowingnyou to combine both fields to a (limited) degree, but this route takes longer and there's no guarentees
Radiography
Original post by Zara1123
Radiography. Less stress

Very debatable, try squeezing an AICU emergency drain in a fully booked CT list when you only have an interventional rad at a specific time, and ICU only have an anesthetist at another time, and for some reason the control room phone is the middleman for the whole conversation. Not to mention the additional 3 emergencies!
Less stress? are you even a radiographer and/or have you studied Radiography?

I can confirm that being a radiographer is ****ing stressful, and the above user provided a good example.

OP should do work experience in both and decide if they prefer personal patient care or patient care with technology and science.
Radiography. Less stress
Original post by Fermion.

I can confirm that being a radiographer is ****ing stressful, and the above user provided a good example.

OP should do work experience in both and decide if they prefer personal patient care or patient care with technology and science.

And I'm considering radiography! :eek: Can you please explain in detail why it is very stressful?
And on another note, at university do you have to be good at chemistry and physics?
You need to be good or be willing to take on physics and biology. Chemistry is pretty irrelevant to the degree.

It just annoys me how people think it’s only stressful being a nurse or a doctor. All NHS professions come attached with stress. The waiting room queues, A&E queues, emergencies, severely mentally impaired patients, and the fact that there are not enough radiographers make our job extremely difficult. It is VERY difficult to perform medical examinations on a patient with dementia. They get aggressive. They scream. They cry. They shout at you and yell at you. But we still do it despite knowing it’s taking up so much of our time and the next appointment overdue. It’s hard, and being a radiographer isn’t all that plain sailing.
Original post by yotsr123
And I'm considering radiography! :eek: Can you please explain in detail why it is very stressful?
And on another note, at university do you have to be good at chemistry and physics?
You need to be good or be willing to take on physics and biology. Chemistry is pretty irrelevant to the degree.

It just annoys me how people think it’s only stressful being a nurse or a doctor. All NHS professions come attached with stress. The waiting room queues, A&E queues, emergencies, severely mentally impaired patients, and the fact that there are not enough radiographers make our job extremely difficult. It is VERY difficult to perform medical examinations on a patient with dementia. They get aggressive. They scream. They cry. They shout at you and yell at you. But we still do it despite knowing it’s taking up so much of our time and the next appointment overdue. It’s hard, and being a radiographer isn’t all that plain sailing.

What about working in the outpatients department? Because I know A&E is extremely stressful but outpatients you work 8-4 or 9-5 and it's much easier?
Do anything but radiography! Deep neural network ('AI') computer vision is absolutely obliterating human radiographers. The job won't exist by the time you leave university.
I do radiography and hate it.
Original post by yotsr123
What about working in the outpatients department? Because I know A&E is extremely stressful but outpatients you work 8-4 or 9-5 and it's much easier?

If you start as a newly qualified radiographer, 99% of jobs are going to be for a rotational band 5 - theatres, mobiles, A&E, outpatients, dentals and a bit of CT and fluoro. Dedicated only outpatients jobs are basically all filled up, and are few and far between. They are typically filled by older radiographers who are physically unable to do night shifts and such now.

Not to mention that outpatients has its own stresses - at my old place, you had two rooms, three radiographers, and usually 10-15 patients outside at any given time (and more coming), and the superintendent was unwilling to actually consider asserting his position and point out it was totally unsafe. Over a couple years, I noticed the quantity of requests coming up, and more and more exams being appended to the requests. Add to that the fact that it just takes one machine to break down (the rooms weren't air conditioned, and x-ray tubes generate a lot of heat) or one patient to actually be really injured (I legitimately had a moron of a nurse practitioner at the local GP surgery decide that the best idea for a 95+ year old who was stuck in a wheelchair while holding her head post significant trauma was to send them to the local outpatient department for an x-ray of the c spine, rather than the more appropriate A&E department. That took me a while to sort out safely.)

Thank god, I moved to a different hospital.
Original post by Humz007
Do anything but radiography! Deep neural network ('AI') computer vision is absolutely obliterating human radiographers. The job won't exist by the time you leave university.

In terms of interpretation, there is literally no decent database for which you can feed a neural network, even for chest x-rays. That's not taking into account modified techniques and exams, getting regulatory approval, or finding said huge databases of exams. They are currently of use for detecting lung nodules in CT, and breast nodules in mammo, but even ECG machines still mark basically every rhythm as abnormal, possible ST elevation or whatnot. I can't see machine learning replacing a reporting radiographer or radiologist in even the most basic exams for the next twenty, thirty years, and even then, the complex stuff remains. Not to mention that very few radiographers report, and automating the acquisition of imaging isn't going to happen for ages.

Sister is one and auntie is midwife. Please don’t swear
(edited 4 years ago)
make a pros and cons list of both
Sister is one and auntie is midwife. Please don’t swear

I can swear if I want provided it’s filtered out on TSR. Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 16
Hi did u end up figuring out what you want to do I'm also struggling with understanding which course is better in terms income and workload. Im doing btec health and social care and working towards a D*D*D* :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by JPHSC
Hi did u end up figuring out what you want to do I'm also struggling with understanding which course is better in terms income and workload. Im doing btec health and social care and working towards a D*D*D* :smile:
Did you pick radiography?

Quick Reply

Latest