The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Viewing a property

Hello all, I am a fresher at the University of Dundee, from Romania, due to arrive on the 28th of August. I'm interested in renting a 1-bedroom apartment, as I will be living with my boyfriend. I have found some, but when I asked for details, I realised I have a major problem. The letting agencies all told me I need to view the property first, and I can't do that. I can't arrive earlier and I can't afford to spend a few days at a hostel/hotel.
What can I do?
It's also my first time on the Student Room, I apologise if this topic has been discussed before. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Elftimelady
Hello all, I am a fresher at the University of Dundee, from Romania, due to arrive on the 28th of August. I'm interested in renting a 1-bedroom apartment, as I will be living with my boyfriend. I have found some, but when I asked for details, I realised I have a major problem. The letting agencies all told me I need to view the property first, and I can't do that. I can't arrive earlier and I can't afford to spend a few days at a hostel/hotel.
What can I do?
It's also my first time on the Student Room, I apologise if this topic has been discussed before. :frown:

Hiya,

Oh, this is a tricky one. Yes, landlords would prefer you to view the property first, just so that they can meet you too before anything is agreed on. Does your boyfriend arrive on the same day as you?
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
Hiya,

Oh, this is a tricky one. Yes, landlords would prefer you to view the property first, just so that they can meet you too before anything is agreed on. Does your boyfriend arrive on the same day as you?

Unfortunately, yes. So he can't view it either. I had one agency tell me that I can send someone to view on my behalf, which would be a lifesaver, as I know someone there. However, I'm not sure if it can work, given the fact that that person isn't related to me in any way
Reply 3
Unfortunately, yes. So he can't view it either. I had one agency tell me that I can send someone to view on my behalf, which would be a lifesaver, as I know someone there. However, I'm not sure if it can work, given the fact that that person isn't related to me in any way

You would have to check that with the agency. Is your boyfriend also coming to study at Dundee?
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
You would have to check that with the agency. Is your boyfriend also coming to study at Dundee?

He won't be studying this year, he'll look for work. Do you think that's going to be a problem? :frown:
Reply 5
He won't be studying this year, he'll look for work. Do you think that's going to be a problem? :frown:

He'll have to pay council tax since he's not a student.
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
He'll have to pay council tax since he's not a student.

Oh, that I know. But do you think there'll be any other problems?
Reply 7
Have you tried on gumtree.com? Some are through letting agencies but a lot are through private landlords who are generally a bit more flexible? It's a bit luck of the draw if you get a good landlord or not, but I've rented 3 different places this way and it's always been fine :smile: once you find one you like it's maybe worth explaining your situation and offering to Skype them if they want to speak to you face to face?

Absolutely no problem you living with your boyfriend while you study!! It's nothing to do with the university :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending