The Student Room Group

Lost, please advise

I have many decisions to make, I will try and be short. University - to continue studying in the UK or my home country (did one year in UK but used finance for two, not sure which is more viable. UK is good but I don't want to feel lonely and I'm not even 100% about the course)?
Work - I should work but feel too tired to, family is not supportive and generally many problems. Should I work in the UK now (more, better work but worried I will feel lonely which I do quickly given my situation) or in my home country (a few more supportive relatives live closer)?
I know some people in UK but because of the circumstances, I feel maybe I should go back. It is just that work and possibility to earn money is much better in UK. Advise me and give arguments, please. Do I fly back or rough it, in a way, in UK? I'm not sure if I still have the stamina for this ...
Reply 1
An
Reply 2
And one more, do I continue with subject I started studying which is a social science, or change to a science I became interested in? I don't know how good I would be or if I am "meant to do it" but I am also unsure about the first one. But financially and because I already spent two years on it (only finished one though), the first would be easier.
You dont give much information tbh, but you dont seem to have good options at home.

You need to deal with the loneliness issue first because thats what makes you feel unhappy and is clouding all your decisions.

Then you can decide whether to continue your studies or seek a transfer to a different course. You seem to be on a course you dont enjoy and which you have little clue about what sort of career you might do.

If you are good enough then a science degree is more practical, but check with careers about possible jobs you could do. The importnat thing is to be able to get a good class of degree and you stand most chance to get that if you like the subject.

To do a science degree then they may well make you start the course new.

I wouldnt commit to a degree until I knew its what I wanted. Its too expensive a choice. You cna alwats come back later if its what you want and you have dealt with how to tackle the loneliness.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You dont give much information tbh, but you dont seem to have good options at home.

You need to deal with the loneliness issue first because thats what makes you feel unhappy and is clouding all your decisions.

Then you can decide whether to continue your studies or seek a transfer to a different course. You seem to be on a course you dont enjoy and which you have little clue about what sort of career you might do.

If you are good enough then a science degree is more practical, but check with careers about possible jobs you could do. The importnat thing is to be able to get a good class of degree and you stand most chance to get that if you like the subject.

To do a science degree then they may well make you start the course new.

I wouldnt commit to a degree until I knew its what I wanted. Its too expensive a choice. You cna alwats come back later if its what you want and you have dealt with how to tackle the loneliness.

Yes, I can feel tired and lonely because there is no one to rely on. I don't know what to do about this, I tried everything. There is no one there for me like a family to advise, care, etc. You can say "don't throw your life away" but otherwise these feelings get too much. I am on the verge of leaving things sometimes. Even psychologists don't help in this way. Because it doesn't look like it will get better (in fact it increases with time and effort), I feel like I should leave things.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I can feel tired and lonely because there is no one to rely on. I don't know what to do about this, I tried everything. There is no one there for me like a family to advise, care, etc. You can say "don't throw your life away" but otherwise these feelings get too much. I am on the verge of leaving things sometimes. Even psychologists don't help in this way. Because it doesn't look like it will get better (in fact it increases with time and effort), I feel like I should leave things.

well go and talk to student services and your GP.
Lobeliness can be common at Uni, but will you be lonely at home?

You need to work out a strategy for making friends. You dont say which country or whether you are male or female. Maybe you are depressed as well. I cant say stay or go you just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Go and speak to a counselor at the SU and ive them all the information.

I cnat say whether i would stay or go, just make the best decision for me.

I would consider trying to make friends and combat loneliness.
Enjoy the opportunity of being in a new country.
Enjoy getting a degree to improve my job prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending