The Student Room Group

Nursing to Paramedic?

Hello, I've seen quite a few people leaving nursing courses to become a paramedic. This makes me rethink my course. I currently study nursing but always think I'd enjoy emergency care more and think that paramedics seem to have more medical involvement that nurses. I've just finished my first year of nursing so I'm quite stuck, for a while I was thinking about becoming a paramedic but thought nurses had more options and career choices once qualified and better pay, but now I'm really confused again. Please give me some advice, should I swap to become a paramedic or continue with my nursing? I have passed my first year by the way and didn't really enjoy some of my placements such a ward work so now I'm worried incase I made the wrong decision.
Reply 1
I wouldn't say paramedics have more medical involvement....emergency care yes but they won't care for that patient like a nurse would. As far as I'm aware I don't think you can just swap like that. You'd have to reapply for the paramedics. You need to do more research it on it to be honest maybe even try and arrange a day out with them. If you don't like ward work that's fine....nursing has so many opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cchloekid
Hello, I've seen quite a few people leaving nursing courses to become a paramedic. This makes me rethink my course. I currently study nursing but always think I'd enjoy emergency care more and think that paramedics seem to have more medical involvement that nurses. I've just finished my first year of nursing so I'm quite stuck, for a while I was thinking about becoming a paramedic but thought nurses had more options and career choices once qualified and better pay, but now I'm really confused again. Please give me some advice, should I swap to become a paramedic or continue with my nursing? I have passed my first year by the way and didn't really enjoy some of my placements such a ward work so now I'm worried incase I made the wrong decision.

You would need to reapply in the next UCAS cycle to study paramedic sciences.

Bear in mind that you have only finished your first year and won't enjoy all of your placements to the same degree, but all are learning experiences. There are many options within nursing to do emergency care, for example being an A&E nurse then progressing to be a first responder or an ENP. Paramedics don't really have more medical involvement than nurses, they see patients for a very short period of time and often don't get to find out what happens to them. That isn't to say that it isn't a rewarding career, but such a big change shouldn't be taken lightly. I would recommend spending a few shifts with paramedics if possible.*
Reply 3
Nurses in general have greater knowledge of patient care and that also involves emergency care that a lot of paramedics can't do. No disrespect meant to paramedics as they are incredibly useful however in terms of career progression, outlook and around the world nursing is probably the more superior career choice. It's just that in the UK nurses aren't as respected as they should be but that's changing. For example in America nurses can expect to make around $70000 ave. even in the 6 figures in California whereas paramedics make $35000 ave. It's not about the money but I'm just using the salary's as an example to show you just how precious, important and knowledgeable nurses are. However if you're mainly interested in the immediate treatment on the scene and then passing them over then maybe being a paramedic is for you. No point continuing nursing if you don't have the passion for it. I wish you all the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending