The Student Room Group

How do you know what's right?

I know a lot of people will be feeling the same right now, and so a lot of people already have before. I'm starting my UCAS application, (I'm in year 12 going to my A2 second year), and I've been thinking about doing a course on Astrophysics for some time now. I already have the University and course picked out that I want. I really enjoy Astronomy and reading about these kinds of things, but I can't help wondering if this is really the choice for me and I'll starting to doubt my decisions. I find I'm more of a creative person, but I just don't feel good enough to apply to art schools or writing schools, whether I am or not is kind of not the problem. I know I really just wanna write and take pictures, and I always said I'd do that in my spare time as a sort of back up plan, but what if I'm putting the wrong thing first? How do you deide what is right for you? :s-smilie:
If you've done thorough research and know you will enjoy the course, then that's all you can do. I think most people feel apprehensive when picking a university course, especially at a young age. There is always the worry that you will end up thinking it's a mistake. However, if this is more than just a little worry, and you're doubting it quite a lot, then maybe think about it some more. There is absolutely no rush to apply, so ensure you have researched your options as best as you can! :h:

It's completely normal to have these worries. Just make sure you deal with them appropriately. You say you like creative subjects, well who is to say you wouldn't be good enough for one? What makes you think you wouldn't be? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
If you've done thorough research and know you will enjoy the course, then that's all you can do. I think most people feel apprehensive when picking a university course, especially at a young age. There is always the worry that you will end up thinking it's a mistake. However, if this is more than just a little worry, and you're doubting it quite a lot, then maybe think about it some more. There is absolutely no rush to apply, so ensure you have researched your options as best as you can! :h:

It's completely normal to have these worries. Just make sure you deal with them appropriately. You say you like creative subjects, well who is to say you wouldn't be good enough for one? What makes you think you wouldn't be? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! :smile: I do enjoy reading up on Astrophysics, but ATM I only do straight up physics and much of it bores me, it's not as exciting as stars. And it's like deep somewhere in my stomach something is telling me I just want to write, and while I do get good grades in my English and design courses, I just feel like I'm not going to get anywhere with them anyway as creative careers are so competetive and I seem to do better in Maths and Science anyway. I'm just not sure how to make this choice..:frown:
Reply 3
Patrick Moore was quite a creative person, so are Brian May and Brian Cox. My gut feeling is you don't hear of so many writers who also become renowned astro-physicists on the side. I'd go with the astro-physics.
you can become an astrophysicist who writes books about astrophysics (science journalism?) with an astrophysics degree, but you can't become a writer and a part-time astrophysicist with a literature degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending