The Student Room Group

Struggling as Bank HCA

Scroll to see replies

I have just started as a bank hca and I can understand what some people are saying completely. It had been very hard working on different wards and trying to get used to their different routines. I have experienced staff nurses and sisters who just sit at the nurses station and dictate to the hcas which was hard to see. On some wards I have been trained in a nice way, on other wards I have not been trained so no nicely. I think it all comes down to the characters of people and how busy the ward is but some advice would be greatly appreciated please..
I completely understand what you mean. I’m doing bank shifts as a HCA too and I’ve also received hostility on some wards. A lot of nurses make me feel inadequate and a nuisance as you’ve said. Yet... if we hadn’t picked the shift up they’d be short staffed...they should be thanking us!!I’ve been on wards where nurses are sooo lazy and have left me to transfer patients alone, when they should be with two and also in bays alone with more than one patient on who needs ‘arms length’ observation at all times due to high risk!Honestly don’t be disheartened... not all trusts are the same! I’ve only been here since January and my old Trust was not like this.It had good patient care, high standards, hard working nurses, team work and we loved the bank staff who came and helped us... I’m going back verrrrry soon, even though it’s a 40 mile commute.Good luck with your nursing and don’t give up! Don’t let the lazy rude staff there put you off. I’ve worked with some damaging nurses.
Thank you for this reply I know it’s been 4 years but when I read that other response I was disgusted .. as a nursing student who knows exactly what that young lady meant and has experienced the same thing I’m shocked that another “nurse” would even utter such a comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending