The Student Room Group

Geography Summer Task

So for my summer task I got the question "evaluate the view that natural resources are more of a 'curse' than a 'blessing' for their people and the environment (24)
I'm pretty unsure as to how I should layout the question and what I should include. Help!
So it's talking about natural disasters maybe as a point? That's more of a curse than a blessing
I guess using wood is more of a curse (global warming)
Original post by lukemnukem
So for my summer task I got the question "evaluate the view that natural resources are more of a 'curse' than a 'blessing' for their people and the environment (24)
I'm pretty unsure as to how I should layout the question and what I should include. Help!

My guess would be that the question is referring to resources such as wood, coal, oil, natural gas, minerals, metals, water and so on, and that you basically need to write about the advantages and disadvantages/problems of each. For example:

Fossil fuels (i.e. coal, oil and natural gas)

Advantages/'blessing':

Fossil fuels are all sources of energy, which is needed for use in transport, industry, and homes (domestic use), e.g. more than 70% of the UK's energy is produced using oil and gas, and fossil fuels are responsible for 85% of total energy production worldwide.

Petroleum (natural gas, crude oil and asphalt) are also used in the petrochemical industry, in the production of plastics, paints, synthetic fibres, rubber, pharmaceuticals and fertilisers.

Disadvantages/'curse'

Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources (i.e. when reserves run out, they cannot be replaced in the foreseeable future).

Reserves are unevenly distributed - some countries such as Saudi Arabia, China, Australia, the UK and USA are able to produce lots of energy because they have large fuel reserves and the money and technology required to exploit them. Other countries such as Sudan and Ireland are unable to produce much energy due to factors such as political instability, lack of money and few recoverable resources.

The recovery and transport of fossil fuels have many environmental impacts, including oil and gas blowouts and fires, oil spills, atmospheric pollution, water pollution and surface subsidence.

Minerals and metals

Advantages/'blessing'

Minerals and metals have a variety of uses, particularly in manufacturing and construction. As technology is developing, more scarce metals are being used in the manufacture of products like flat screen TVs. Metals are pretty much essential to modern life.

Disadvantages/'curse'

Metallic minerals are non-renewable resources, and reserves are being used up very quickly. Mining on a global scale is becoming unsustainable, as the geological processes which concentrate these metals into recoverable reserved take millions of years.

Environmental problems of open-cast mining - deforestation and removal of vegetation, noise and dust, visual, atmospheric and water pollution.

Environmental problems of underground mining - surface subsidence, pollution of surface water and groundwater, smelting of ores is a major source of atmospheric pollution.

Wood

Advantages/'blessing'

Wood provides a renewable source of energy, and is normally used domestically.

Disadvantages/'curse'

Most fuel wood gathering isn't regulated and can seriously deplete local woodland, leading to deforestation.

Soil erosion - the roots of trees and other vegetation help to bind soil together, and if they are removed the soil can be washed or blown away more easily.

I hope that helps! I'm not sure if this is exactly what the answer requires, but it's the best I can come up with! :smile:
Reply 4
Awesome! Many thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by lukemnukem
Awesome! Many thanks for the help :smile:

No problem :h:

Quick Reply

Latest