The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onde
Wouldn't it be safer to believe things based on reason rather than superstitition, instead of taking undue risks?

I'd rather not
Reply 981
Original post by arizonaidiot
Mate,look at a chair,a plain simple chair.If I tell you it formed itself,would you believe me?Of course not,that would be utterly foolish of you.Logically,you would answer it was made in the industry or hand made by a human,hence saying that there was a creator.Then,why is it so hard for you to understand that the universe did not form on its own?
Again, the argument from personal incredulity.

We know, to a reasonable degree of certainty, that the current universe came from a singularity of almost infinite density. The processes by which everything since the formed are known to a greater or lesser extent. The only thing that is completely unknown is everything before the singularity expanded. However, there are several possible hypotheses - none of which require a supernatural god.

How the heck was everything organised so perfectly
Everything isn't "organised so perfectly". The universe is fundamentally unstable. Did you know that if humans had evolved at a time in the distant future, we would have no idea that other galaxies exist?

and how was consciousness instilled into living beings?
Consciousness wasn't "instilled", it evolved. It is a function of the electro-chemical activity in the brain. Current research suggests it was a means of dealing with the huge amount of sensory input constantly recieved by the brain. As evolution in a particular species led to increased brain size, then the "consciousness" became more complex - just as increasing a computer's power enables it to run more complex programmes. The larger and more evolved the brain, the more developed and complex the consciousness. We know that the consciousness is a function of, and dependent on the physical brain because we can manipulate the consciousness by maniputating the physical and chemical brain. If consciousness was independent of the brain, this would not be possible.

You claim that it is my lack of understanding that I can't answer this question but are you not doing the same thing yourself?
No, because I understand (to a greater or lesser extent) pretty much all the issues which you claim can only have been the work of god. And I am nowhere near an expert in these fields, just a mere postgrad science student.
It's pretty sad really.He is a grown up adult man,who is clearly wise,but for him to make such a claim is nothing short of ignorant and reeks of arrogance,a disease which has seemed to plague atheists.

yes the last part is very true, probably why no one takes such people seriously...
I'd rather not

And there we have it. 'Superstition is a better tool than reason', says theist.
Original post by Made to Ace
I don't understand though if there was no God,how on earth did the world get created?How on earth are we alive?How do people die?None of it makes sense.So there must be some being greater than us

Greater than you (in terms of understanding). They're called Scientists.
Original post by QE2
Again, the argument from personal incredulity.

We know, to a reasonable degree of certainty, that the current universe came from a singularity of almost infinite density. The processes by which everything since the formed are known to a greater or lesser extent. The only thing that is completely unknown is everything before the singularity expanded. However, there are several possible hypotheses - none of which require a supernatural god.

Everything isn't "organised so perfectly". The universe is fundamentally unstable. Did you know that if humans had evolved at a time in the distant future, we would have no idea that other galaxies exist?

Consciousness wasn't "instilled", it evolved. It is a function of the electro-chemical activity in the brain. Current research suggests it was a means of dealing with the huge amount of sensory input constantly recieved by the brain. As evolution in a particular species led to increased brain size, then the "consciousness" became more complex - just as increasing a computer's power enables it to run more complex programmes. The larger and more evolved the brain, the more developed and complex the consciousness. We know that the consciousness is a function of, and dependent on the physical brain because we can manipulate the consciousness by maniputating the physical and chemical brain. If consciousness was independent of the brain, this would not be possible.

No, because I understand (to a greater or lesser extent) pretty much all the issues which you claim can only have been the work of god. And I am nowhere near an expert in these fields, just a mere postgrad science student.

"there are several possible hypotheses - none of which require a supernatural god.

This settles it then.Considering that there are possible hypothesis does not translate hypothesis into facts.Those are mere considerations.
And I am nowhere near an expert in these fields, just a mere postgrad science student"
Which is evident.So you really should not go around claiming there is no God.with such assurity.
Original post by Good bloke
And there we have it. 'Superstition is a better tool than reason', says theist.

I'm sick of your sarcastic remarks(which are by the way extremely childish).You are the only one of the lot not providing any reasonings for your statements.
Reply 987
Original post by Alanthefish
I think that for people who believe in God there is enough evidence for it.
Yet this "evidence" is only apparent to people who already believe in god. Why is that?

They might have witnessed a miracle, someone being healed through prayer for example
This is just delusion though. There has never been any evidence for miracle or faith healing.

Interesting fact. The rate of people being confirmed cured of cancer at Lourdes is actually slightly lower than the rate of spontaneous remisssion in the general public!

or experiencing the holy spirit.
Persoanl experience is notoriously unreliable.

They may be convinced by the bible as so many different people over different time periods have written books in it and all at least reference jesus.
No idea what this means.

Maybe simply the fact that so many other people believe in a God may be enough evidence for them to believe in a God themselves, that may be the case for someone who's family is religious and have been brought up in church. Although this 'evidence' might not be enough for some people to believe in a God I think it can be for others.

None of this is "evidence" for the existence of the god of the Bible. They are merely reasons why people believe in it.
There isn’t very strong evidence AGAINST the existence of god either. *shrugs* It doesn’t even matter. Either. Both. Pick one.
I'm sick of your sarcastic remarks(which are by the way extremely childish).You are the only one of the lot not providing any reasonings for your statements.

I've given you plenty of reasoning. I'm still waiting for your answers about slavery.
Reply 990
Atheists never classify the levels of rationality.
Erm, I just did.

Mostly,infact all call theists or believers irrational.
They definitely call the belief irrational. There is an argument that in modern times, if a person has benefitted from a secular, evidence-based education and they still insist on mythology over demonstrable science, then they are indeed irrational.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've given you plenty of reasoning. I'm still waiting for your answers about slavery.

Refer to the previous forum.Also,try not to bring up past discussions in new threads.
Refer to the previous forum.Also,try not to bring up past discussions in new threads.

Past? That's a stretch. This was yesterday, I think.
Past? That's a stretch. This was yesterday, I think.

Yesterday is still in the past,I think,no,I'm sure of it.
Reply 994
I don't think God exists sorry- God is just used as something to cling to by people who need certainty in their lives
If there was a God surely he would have stopped suffering in the world by now
Original post by Onde
If god is defined as omnipresent and omnibenevolent, there is very strong evidence that no such being exists. Such a being has never been observed under test conditions.

I’m just saying now that I’m an atheist, so I do in fact completely agree with you, but for argument’s sake, you really can’t be so sure. If god is such a powerful being with the ability to create and destroy entire worlds, then he’s likely to be powerful enough to hide his presence from our measly means of detection.
Original post by Roxirin
If god is such a powerful being with the ability to create and destroy entire worlds, then he’s likely to be powerful enough to hide his presence from our measly means of detection.

There is a contradiction in there, isn't there? If these forces are so powerful as to create and destroy cities and worlds then even our measly means of detection should be sufficient.
Original post by Onde
The Large Hadron Collider is capable of detecting even the very smallest particles of nature: if god is omnipotent, it would have been detected by now.

Maybe God isn’t made of conventional particles. He’s not exactly a typical physical being. As far as modern day goes m, he doesn’t currently have a physical presence anyway, and the large hadron collider can’t exactly detect spirits/souls/whatever the heck god is made of
There is a contradiction in there, isn't there? If these forces are so powerful as to create and destroy cities and worlds then even our measly means of detection should be sufficient.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Could you perhaps explain that?
Original post by Onde
The Large Hadron Collider is capable of detecting even the very smallest particles of nature: if god is omnipotent, it would have been detected by now.

God is beyond our comprehension.He is omnipotent, omnipresent and eternal.I don't think we can detect a being that is beyond our comprehension with our level of technology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending