The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hi I've got a bit of a problem.
I'm doing four a levels (English language maths German and geography) and we have mocks in a few weeks time.
I'm struggling a bit with maths, as I'm not finding it as interesting as I did last year. I don't know whether to drop it after my mocks or not?? My sixth form has scrapped AS like many others have so I don't want to get to the end of year 12 and drop maths to not get anything out of it.

Only thing is I'm thinking of doing a geography degree at uni but some favour a level maths as an entry requirement for their courses.
I also want to be a primary school teacher. Will dropping maths at a level affect my chances????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mlb37
Hi I've got a bit of a problem.
I'm doing four a levels (English language maths German and geography) and we have mocks in a few weeks time.
I'm struggling a bit with maths, as I'm not finding it as interesting as I did last year. I don't know whether to drop it after my mocks or not?? My sixth form has scrapped AS like many others have so I don't want to get to the end of year 12 and drop maths to not get anything out of it.

Only thing is I'm thinking of doing a geography degree at uni but some favour a level maths as an entry requirement for their courses.
I also want to be a primary school teacher. Will dropping maths at a level affect my chances????

Posted from TSR Mobile

maths a level is still modular, so you'd still do AS exams if that affects your decision
do you not like it or are you just struggling? if it's the latter, maybe you could ask your teacher for more support? there's also a forum for maths help which is very helpful. if you just don't like it, drop it - no point continuing as you'll find it harder to motivate yourself to work and may do worse as a consequence
Original post by ErinMei
I have mocks in a couple of weeks and i want to do well. However the problem is im not sure about revision technique. I'm sorted for maths as i can do a few past C1 papers and go over some questions in the textbook if i'm struggling but for chemistry and biology there aren't any past papers because of the new specs (i'm on AQA). I have flashcards for science but i wanted to do some question practice , anyone know any good sources?

www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level is pretty useful, I found.
And I'm sitting a Biology mock today haha.
Original post by Fractite
www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level is pretty useful, I found.
And I'm sitting a Biology mock today haha.

Good luck ! :smile:
Reply 1384
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
maths a level is still modular, so you'd still do AS exams if that affects your decision
do you not like it or are you just struggling? if it's the latter, maybe you could ask your teacher for more support? there's also a forum for maths help which is very helpful. if you just don't like it, drop it - no point continuing as you'll find it harder to motivate yourself to work and may do worse as a consequence

A bit of both really, some parts I like but most of it is getting a bit of a chore. Despite that though we did a test on Monday and got the results back today and I got 89% which was the highest in my class! So now I really don't know what to do!! I know I only did so well because it wasn't the whole of c1 (edexcel) and I'd gone over it all so many times.
I think I'm going to wait until I've done a proper mock in a few weeks and then make my decision.
Thanks for your reply!
Hey guys! The a-levels that I'm doing are Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology (&Art which I'm dropping after my mocks).
I love science, dance, art, ice skating, swimming, good films and learning about Korean culture.
My dream is to study Biomedical Science at Oxford.
Just found this thread!
I'm doing Maths, English Language, Sociology and Psychology (All AQA)
Thinking of dropping Psychology after AS atm as I find with that and Sociology its a lot of just copying from the textbook and I think I'll struggle with the more scientific parts of it
Considering secondary teaching as a possible future career but depends on how the future goes!

Targeted a B in all

In my first assessment I got:
Socio: A
Psycho: B
Eng Lang: C
Maths: U (Re-siting on Monday)

Annoyingly got the lowest grades in my two favourite subjects, but they're the two, mainly maths, that I've put loads of work in since to up those grades
Anyone here who attends Harris Westminster? If you do, what teacher are you supposed to go to if your email/student portal doesn't work?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I am Reshyna Stark and I'm taking further maths, maths, physics and chemistry for my Edexcel IAL. My hobby is reading and drawing. My ambition is to be an electronic engineer. I'm a private candidate and I'm self-studying. I scored 4A*s and 5As in my Edexcel IGCSE.
Reply 1389
Original post by Rashina
Hi,
I am Reshyna Stark and I'm taking further maths, maths, physics and chemistry for my Edexcel IAL. My hobby is reading and drawing. My ambition is to be an electronic engineer. I'm a private candidate and I'm self-studying. I scored 4A*s and 5As in my Edexcel IGCSE.

Me too! Anyway I'm Rydah and I scored 3A*s and 6As in my Edexcel IGCSE.
Hey there not been on for a while. Where are people at with Chemistry? I'm on aqa atm I'm on chapter 5 in my aqa textbook today i've gone over molecular shapes and formulae

Chemistry has been calm so far chapter two was my favourite as I enjoyed reciting the equations (ideal gas law, pv/rt, concentrations etc) Assignments have been ok my favourite assignments have been ( Ionisation energy and trends in periods, Aspirin and willow trees- how much Salicylic acid does willow bark contain?, Polar bonds and values of atomic and ionic radii) My targets b/c and I will do a past paper soon

Atm I'm self teaching Chemistry; with Maths I have 2 hours of tuition a week and I'm self-healing the Mathematical studies.
Original post by WillAuckland2000
Hey there not been on for a while. Where are people at with Chemistry? I'm on aqa atm I'm on chapter 5 in my aqa textbook today i've gone over molecular shapes and formulae

Chemistry has been calm so far chapter two was my favourite as I enjoyed reciting the equations (ideal gas law, pv/rt, concentrations etc) Assignments have been ok my favourite assignments have been ( Ionisation energy and trends in periods, Aspirin and willow trees- how much Salicylic acid does willow bark contain?, Polar bonds and values of atomic and ionic radii) My targets b/c and I will do a past paper soon

Atm I'm self teaching Chemistry; with Maths I have 2 hours of tuition a week and I'm self-healing the Mathematical studies.

I do aqa chemistry and i have done chapters 1 2 3 4 5 6 , starting 7 next week
Original post by ErinMei

So you guys are a bit ahead of me I started my revision in October, have you had many practicals? My disadvantage is that I won't have many practical lessons (just a few prep lessons for the practical)
Original post by WillAuckland2000
So you guys are a bit ahead of me I started my revision in October, have you had many practicals? My disadvantage is that I won't have many practical lessons (just a few prep lessons for the practical)

We have only done the titration practical so far but got the energetics practical coming up soon i think
Original post by ErinMei

Done chapters 1, 2 and 3. Starting 4 and 5 next week.
Anyone else under perform at GCSE and is now smashing it? I love A-levels :biggrin:
Original post by sahil19
Anyone else under perform at GCSE and is now smashing it? I love A-levels :biggrin:

What are u taking! And what did u get for gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so, this may set me apart from a lot of this people on this thread, but oh well!

Today I had a double health and social care lesson, which my teacher wasn't in for. We had supply, but he's absolutely useless and so after the first hour, 4 of us said we were going to find another teacher for help and disappeared. We didn't actually go to this teacher, two went home and myself and another girl went to a computer room. We still did the work, got more done than if I'd stayed in the lesson, but the supply teacher got a bit annoyed!

He went to find the teacher we said we were going to to ask if we had, to which she would have said no. He has now marked us absent for that lesson, which is fair enough. But I'm nervous for what the teacher is going to say! I have done more work than everyone else in my class, but I don't know if she'll understand. Anyone be able to ease my mind??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19

No! It's nearly the opposite for me.
Hello
I feel as if everyone has started revision and notes but I'm yet to do so as im confused as how to revise anyone in the same position
What are good ways of revising for history economics and psychology
Also has anyone just been procrastinating ever since the year began and I make plans and timetables every day but I don't even complete one task on there 🤒

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest