The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BabyLadDarren
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even though I aspire to do it, it's medicine for me. It seems as if everyone that takes it is touted as a genius and that you're an automatic success in life. I'm intrigued as to why physics/chemistry don't get the same level as respect, because they seem to be much harder. I mean, from some of my taster days, medicine seems like A Level Biology on steroids; there's excessive memorisation in every topic!
Take your pick of any degree that isn't medicine, law, maths, proper engineering or a few of the sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics.
I won.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Economics.
I won.

I'll see your Economics and raise you PPE.

Never a met a single PPE student who isn't a complete snob who thinks they're on a ticket to be a politician, without any other life experience.

I'm pretty certain that applications for PPE are based solely on imagined prestige rather than any interest or understanding of the course.
Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
Reply 6
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Economics.
I won.

Anyone who mentions economics but not PPE is very likely to not actually know anything about economics.

Oh and at OP, management or business studies.
Reply 7
STEM students be like "anything but STEM"
Although I'm planning to do it, Psychology

It seems far too many take it just because they don't know what to do or "enjoyed it at A Level". I've wanted to do it since I was 14 and have my entire career planned. You can be extremely successful in Psychology and earn a lot of money, but it's hard work and not many people make it, I don't think people realise this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Awkward moment when you want to do PPE/Politics and Econ...

Tbf though it's because I have a serious interest in politics and econ above any other subject, and though I'm not aiming to be an MP, I do want to work in politics.

I'd agree though that people who take these subjects thinking it's a blagger's degree to power are probably overestimating just how useful PPE is or politics for that matter, it's one of the few courses that as the quality and prestige of your uni decreases, it becomes a lot more soft and probably a lot more useless, which is why I sorta have to get into a top uni...

With that in mind I'd still say finance. In my experience, people who do finance or accounting of some sort think it's a one way ticket to become a successful entrepreneur, banker, accountant or whatever. In my school it's the single most popular choice for people without any actual serious interest in a subject who don't really know what they want to do. Realistically maths is a lot more useful for banking and accountancy, and entrepreneurship or management of some sort does not in themselves require a degree. Finance has its uses but from personal experience, it's highly overrated.
Reply 10
Where do you want the list to start and would you like it alphabetically, numerically, shuffle etc?
medicine easily

who the **** wants to examine penises for a living
Law and Psychology, everyone who doesn't know what they are doing with their lives does Law or Psychology because offers are so low in some universities.
Law
Definitely law.

A degree that is competitive to get into at top universities, but offered by almost all universities due to the simplicity and commercially viable nature of doing so.

Competitive for places yet half of all practicing lawyers don't have one.

A degree that can be "created" using a non-competitive postgrad conversion course
In your in my opinion, it has to be English Contraction and Syntactic Studies with Grammatical Rules.
Original post by iEthan
In your in my opinion, it has to be English Contraction and Syntactic Studies with Grammatical Rules.

urgh Crookshanks beats me to it again :sigh:
but that title literally made me shiver the lack of sense it made :mmm:

Original post by UWS
STEM students be like "anything but STEM"

history of art tho :tongue:
Reply 17
Engineering
Original post by SuperHuman98
Gender studies

Does anyone actually rate this highly though?, it's literally considered the bottom of the bottom of degrees.

I guess you could say any rating > 0 is too high :tongue:.
Law by far.

You don't even need a law degree to become a lawyer looool

Posted from TSR Mobile