The Student Room Group

Reapplying for first year

Hi guys, basically i’m in 2nd year of university and I will be going on into 3rd. The problem I have is I haven’t really had the uni experience since I didn’t really make friends and I stayed at home with my parents which I also feel set me back and now i’m going into third I’m not really enjoying my course that I chose and I’m thinking of restarting uni but in a different place. But i’ll be 20 with 18 year olds, what is your thoughts on this and what would you advice me to do because I really have no friends and my friend that i did have moved out and I stayed thinking it was the better thing and now i am depressed and losing my mind and also losing my youthful look due to stress.
Reply 1
Personally I recommend you just finish your current degree, the ‘university experience’ is overrated anyway. You will find friends in your adult life.
Seems like a waste of money if this is purely for experience, after all university at the end of the day is to help you get into a career.
There is also no guarantee that you wont have a repeat of the same experience, some struggle to make friends even when living in University.

This is a big decision so think carefully.
Hi @python147816,

Firstly, the university experience can be different for everyone, and there is no perfect experience. Many students on my course also live at home and commute, while others like me live in student halls.

I would always recommend studying a course you enjoy so that you stay motivated and positive about your work. Have you talked to your parents/family about your thoughts on changing courses? Or maybe you could chat to your current tutors about how you’re feeling?

If you are considering reapplying, I can assure you that your age and previous studies won’t be an issue. When I started university last year, I was also 20 while most of my friends were 18. From my personal experience, you soon forget about the slight age difference and if you’re meeting people with similar interests, on your course or in societies, you won’t notice the age difference.

I would also suggest looking into postgraduate study or other options for after your BA studies to see if there is a course you prefer or a new subject you are interested in, or maybe even a course that is linked to what you study now? If you don’t want to start over with your BA studies, maybe looking to the future at an MA course could also be an option.

I understand that this is not an easy decision to make, but I can say that choosing the option that you feel you would enjoy the most is my best advice to motivate you in your studies.
Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending