The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Would it be dumb to contact Hogan Lovells and ask why I didn't make it past the application process? Everyone that read my application for Hogan Lovells said it was the best application they ever read, including aspiring solicitors. Would it be bad to ask them why i wasn't successful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to receive some advice on my current situation with obtaining a training contract. I am currently doing a full-time Legal Practice Course at the University of Law (I had to self-fund it as I haven't obtained a training contract so far - the course is not in London, it's in Birmingham) and I would like to get more legal work experience in the form of vacation schemes with the final goal of a training contract.
To clarify it a bit, I obtained an overall 2.1 in my law degree (low 2.1 - 63% average) and I come from a bottom RG University. I did the law degree in my second language as I am not a native English speaker. My yearly averages in my degree were 1st year - 63%, 2nd year - 60% and 3rd year - 65% (I have a mixture of 2.2s, 2.1s and one 1st class mark). I also obtained the academic prize for the best performance in company law module at my University in the final year. Apart from that, I do not have any special achievements in my academic profile. I also meet entry criteria for all of the law firms in terms of A-levels (I have 523 UCAS points).

I have two work experience placements in the commercial law environment (though these were unpaid placements) and I have some strong extracurriculars - sitting on the committee in one of the university societies, undertook a yearly course for beginners in Mandarin and worked as a student ambassador for the University. I also know 2 other languages (one at a native level and one at an advanced level). I supplemented these with a variety of open days at commercial law firms (including the very top ones in the City).

I am really stuck as I am aiming to get vacation schemes at the top firms in London and I haven't been invited to a single interview so far (apart from a video interview). I do not think that the problem is in my applications. I am worried as I am coming to the second semester of my LPC and I do not know if my academic profile is enough to get me where I want. What do you think are the firms that I should focus applying to? Are MC, US and SC firms beyond my reach? Thank you very much for your help.
Hey everyone! Looking for opinions. Do you think that attending later ACs affects your chances of securing an offer? Is there a chance that firms will fill up spots before you're assessed, or hold candidates in later ACs to a higher standard due to a shrinking number of available slots?
Original post by aspsol944
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to receive some advice on my current situation with obtaining a training contract. I am currently doing a full-time Legal Practice Course at the University of Law (I had to self-fund it as I haven't obtained a training contract so far - the course is not in London, it's in Birmingham) and I would like to get more legal work experience in the form of vacation schemes with the final goal of a training contract.
To clarify it a bit, I obtained an overall 2.1 in my law degree (low 2.1 - 63% average) and I come from a bottom RG University. I did the law degree in my second language as I am not a native English speaker. My yearly averages in my degree were 1st year - 63%, 2nd year - 60% and 3rd year - 65% (I have a mixture of 2.2s, 2.1s and one 1st class mark). I also obtained the academic prize for the best performance in company law module at my University in the final year. Apart from that, I do not have any special achievements in my academic profile. I also meet entry criteria for all of the law firms in terms of A-levels (I have 523 UCAS points).

I have two work experience placements in the commercial law environment (though these were unpaid placements) and I have some strong extracurriculars - sitting on the committee in one of the university societies, undertook a yearly course for beginners in Mandarin and worked as a student ambassador for the University. I also know 2 other languages (one at a native level and one at an advanced level). I supplemented these with a variety of open days at commercial law firms (including the very top ones in the City).

I am really stuck as I am aiming to get vacation schemes at the top firms in London and I haven't been invited to a single interview so far (apart from a video interview). I do not think that the problem is in my applications. I am worried as I am coming to the second semester of my LPC and I do not know if my academic profile is enough to get me where I want. What do you think are the firms that I should focus applying to? Are MC, US and SC firms beyond my reach? Thank you very much for your help.

Why are you so sure the problem isn't how you complete application forms? I find this is where most people struggle.

Your profile is good, although your grades are relatively poor, but even then if you've submitted quite a few applications and only got past the screening stage once it rings alarm bells.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joris_Bohnson
Hey everyone! Looking for opinions. Do you think that attending later ACs affects your chances of securing an offer? Is there a chance that firms will fill up spots before you're assessed, or hold candidates in later ACs to a higher standard due to a shrinking number of available slots?

I don't believe so, no.

I think far too much is made on this board over when you apply to firms. People who recommend not even applying as deadlines approach etc. are misguided.

Firms are looking for a certain standard candidate, this standard isn't lower early on. Equally, they leave plenty of spaces open throughout their whole recruitment process, so if they're aware they're holding 5 ACs next week they won't leave just one spot. I even know of a MC firm that accepted way over their normal VS quota as they interviewed so many good people.

The only way, in my opinion, that it's better to apply early is that maybe it's easier to get to the AC stage as your form is one of a smaller number earlier on. But, once at AC you need to be good whenever you attend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
I don't believe so, no.

I think far too much is made on this board over when you apply to firms. People who recommend not even applying as deadlines approach etc. are misguided.

Firms are looking for a certain standard candidate, this standard isn't lower early on. Equally, they leave plenty of spaces open throughout their whole recruitment process, so if they're aware they're holding 5 ACs next week they won't leave just one spot. I even know of a MC firm that accepted way over their normal VS quota as they interviewed so many good people.

The only way, in my opinion, that it's better to apply early is that maybe it's easier to get to the AC stage as your form is one of a smaller number earlier on. But, once at AC you need to be good whenever you attend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% agree. I think it might be partially true that some firms encourage early application so it is easier for the graduate recruitment team to sort through the applications, reducing the volume towards the end. It might only make a bit of difference if you apply significantly earlier, but to be honest I doubt a firm is going to take someone on if they apply in October that they wouldn't take on had they applied in January.
Reply 1586
Original post by jmarnew
Has anyone done the Eversheds video interview yet? completed just before christmas and wondered if anyone had heard anything back yet?

I received an invite today to complete the video interview so I'm assuming they have come back to work today following the holidays and you'll hear back soon. Good luck! Can you remember what the questions were?
Original post by natd_x
i received an invite today to complete the video interview so i'm assuming they have come back to work today following the holidays and you'll hear back soon. Good luck! Can you remember what the questions were?

best of luck!
Reply 1588
Anyone have any tips or info on the Clifford Chance video interview? What sort of questions were there? I'm so nervous!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone had Squire Patton video interview?
Original post by P270
Anyone have any tips or info on the Clifford Chance video interview? What sort of questions were there? I'm so nervous!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If everyone's questions are the same, then there's no need to be nervous. Honestly, just go through your application form and be clear on why you're applying to CC, and have examples that demonstrate the competencies they're looking for. Goodluck!
Received an assessment day invite for Hogan Lovells on the 12th - does anyone have any tips! Commercial awareness is starting to really scare me and I don't really know how else to prepare for it apart from reading the news and researching the firm's practice areas and deals! I have prepared some potential commercial awareness questions but I'm not sure if I'm doing enough!
Original post by J-SP
No harm in asking, but they are just likely to say they can't give feedback at the application stage.

Could it be down to psychometric test results rather than an application?

Are you really sure people said it was the best application they ever read? I can't see a professional at the likes of Aspiring Solicitors saying something like that, and if a friend said that then unfortunately it really doesn't mean much as they don't read lots of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah an aspiring solicitor member said it was one of the strongest applications they've read. I'm assuming it might have been because I submitted a week before the deadline I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nana1234
Yeah an aspiring solicitor member said it was one of the strongest applications they've read. I'm assuming it might have been because I submitted a week before the deadline I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the outcome would be different whether you had applied earlier or later. There must have been something that didn't align with what the firm wanted, or perhaps the reasoning test was lower than others? Sorry you got rejected, seems some strong candidates will be let down :frown:
Original post by nana1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be wary of regarding your rejection as purely due to logistical reasons. It's much more likely that your application wasn't as strong as you believed, you did badly in the online tests, or that despite a strongly composed application your overall profile is lacking something, e.g. low grades, poor ECs.

I would attempt to think more critically about your application and yourself as a candidate, to better understand why you've been rejected. Or alternatively, maybe pass your application onto someone who successfully applied, or read their application, to see if you can see any real differences.

I'm far from an expert (J-SP, for example, is much more knowledgable than me) but I received a VS offer from HL last year so if you want I'll have a look at your application and see what I think.
Did anyone upload a CV for the Clifford Chance app? Not sure why it's asking it in the additional documents bit!
Hi all!

I'm having a bit of trouble with the DLA Piper app. First of all, I can't seem to find a deadline for the VS on their website. I did find elsewhere that it is on the 15th of Jan but wanted to check with any of you if this is correct?
Also, is there no word limit for the questions?
Finally (sorry for asking so many questions..), has anyone uploaded docs to the addition documents section? They suggest cover letter, resume etc. but was wondering if this was necessary.

Thanks a lot !!
Original post by Lawstuden808
Did anyone upload a CV for the Clifford Chance app? Not sure why it's asking it in the additional documents bit!

You don't need to upload one. They sent me an email saying it's not necessary
Original post by llamalpaca
Hi! Would you mind if I DMed you about HL? Thanks :smile:

Yeah feel free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone having problems with Linklaters app form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending