The Student Room Group

Google STEP 2017 - Summer Trainee Engineering Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigboateng_
Please look on the application website, i do not want to give wrong information in regards to which countries can/cannot apply.

Well, they have not mentioned anything about whether a candidate must be European or not. They have just mentioned that candidates must be studying in Year 1 or Year 2 of undergrad studies.
By the way, can you tell me around what time did you apply for Google STEP? And how much time did they take to process your application?
Hi, @bigboateng_ ! A quick question: as I applied on the third day from the day of the opening of applications portal, do you think that they would look my CV for sure? I am a little concerned about whether or not I'm late on applying.
Original post by harishjhaldiyal
Hi, @bigboateng_ ! A quick question: as I applied on the third day from the day of the opening of applications portal, do you think that they would look my CV for sure? I am a little concerned about whether or not I'm late on applying.

I don't want to speak for @bigboateng_, but I would imagine it all depends on the quality of the applicants they received on the 2 days previous. I wouldn't worry unduly, applying on the third day is not that late!!
Original post by computationchive
I don't want to speak for @bigboateng_, but I would imagine it all depends on the quality of the applicants they received on the 2 days previous. I wouldn't worry unduly, applying on the third day is not that late!!

Do you think they receive tons of applications for Google STEP?
Do you think they receive tons of applications for Google STEP?

Sadly, Google don't publish application figures for specific programs like STEP. It certainly depends on location - for example London is no longer accepting applications now, implying they have received enough. However, the Europe offices seem to still be accepting applications.
Original post by computationchive
Sadly, Google don't publish application figures for specific programs like STEP. It certainly depends on location - for example London is no longer accepting applications now, implying they have received enough. However, the Europe offices seem to still be accepting applications.

But I don't think that London and Dublin are into Google Step this year.
Hey, should you apply early even if you're in your first year and the relevant stuff (algorithms) will be teached to us in the 2nd semester? How possible is it then to manage the interview? (I have good knowledge of C, I know some Java and Python, but no projects or anything to show)
Original post by foreverigor
Hey, should you apply early even if you're in your first year and the relevant stuff (algorithms) will be teached to us in the 2nd semester? How possible is it then to manage the interview? (I have good knowledge of C, I know some Java and Python, but no projects or anything to show)

Well, there is no harm in applying; however, the interview questions would be only from Data Structures and Algorithms, as it is the core of Computer Science.
Reply 128
Original post by Princepieman
I'll be applying to the above programme this academic year and was wondering if anyone else is going for it.

Feel free to comment if you are, hopefully we can share tips/info about the whole process. I'll also tag a user (bigboateng_) who did the programme this year too for questions etc. *

please help me with questions
Hey everyone!
I was following this thread after I applied to Google STEP (first, there are so few information available about the program) but an acquaintance suggested me to keep an eye on the program dates since it promotes minority (I'm female). I applied more than a week ago in three offices (Zurich, London, and Singapore) but still waiting for their reply.
I am from India, however many people mentioned it should not be a problem (while applying nowhere it was asked if I am a citizen of any specific country so don't know if they still have any issue with nationality or not). Has anyone heard back from them?

BTW I did GSoC this summer and have attended one of the biggest community Hackathon in India this October (I mentioned this in my resume).
Original post by froufrouduck
Hey everyone!
I was following this thread after I applied to Google STEP (first, there are so few information available about the program) but an acquaintance suggested me to keep an eye on the program dates since it promotes minority (I'm female). I applied more than a week ago in three offices (Zurich, London, and Singapore) but still waiting for their reply.
I am from India, however many people mentioned it should not be a problem (while applying nowhere it was asked if I am a citizen of any specific country so don't know if they still have any issue with nationality or not). Has anyone heard back from them?

BTW I did GSoC this summer and have attended one of the biggest community Hackathon in India this October (I mentioned this in my resume).

Hey, friend!

1) STEP in EMEA does not require you to be a citizen of any EMEA country. You are in India and that's perfect!
2) STEP Singapore requires you to be a citizen of Singapore. I know it is nowhere mentioned in their online application form but they really suck in that. If you'll see the classic Software Engineering Intern role in Singapore, you'll notice that they require Singapore citizenship/work permit in that, and therefore, they'll definitely require the same for STEP as well.
Hey, friend!

1) STEP in EMEA does not require you to be a citizen of any EMEA country. You are in India and that's perfect!
2) STEP Singapore requires you to be a citizen of Singapore. I know it is nowhere mentioned in their online application form but they really suck in that. If you'll see the classic Software Engineering Intern role in Singapore, you'll notice that they require Singapore citizenship/work permit in that, and therefore, they'll definitely require the same for STEP as well.

Thanks for replying! Have you applied (or did it) as well? I heard from a source that Singapore office prefers locals for the internship as well, though I know a few full-time engineers there and he said that they have interns from all over the world in Singapore now (maybe the situation's changed?) Don't know much though.

I've been doing DSA pretty seriously from past couple of months, but after applying I have increased the duration and just practicing Binary Trees (since it's taking a lot of practice). I am also thinking to read Cracking the Coding Interview (since I don't have any interview experience).

I hope I get to the interview, but I'd like to hear any advice or if anyone else is applying this year :smile:
Original post by froufrouduck
Thanks for replying! Have you applied (or did it) as well? I heard from a source that Singapore office prefers locals for the internship as well, though I know a few full-time engineers there and he said that they have interns from all over the world in Singapore now (maybe the situation's changed?) Don't know much though.

I've been doing DSA pretty seriously from past couple of months, but after applying I have increased the duration and just practicing Binary Trees (since it's taking a lot of practice). I am also thinking to read Cracking the Coding Interview (since I don't have any interview experience).

I hope I get to the interview, but I'd like to hear any advice or if anyone else is applying this year :smile:

Well, that's interesting! As far as I know, Singapore office does not accept international interns and they have clearly mentioned that under 'Minimum Qualification' in Software Engineering Intern online application. So there is no way that the recruiter is able to move forward with a candidate if s/he is not local.

And yes, definitely do CTCI in the beginning and switch to Leetcode later once you become comfortable.
Reply 133
Has anyone heard back? Applied when the applications opened and heard nothing, so I assume I was rejected?
Does anyone know if there's a thread for SWE intern applicants to Google this year? I applied when they first opened as well, but haven't heard back either.
Reply 135
Can only people with a computer science degree apply or other degrees like mechanical and electrical apply aswell?
Original post by Svesh
Can only people with a computer science degree apply or other degrees like mechanical and electrical apply aswell?

I think as long as you have the right skill set, there's no harm trying! I would just check the website on the specific requirements.
Reply 137
Original post by CSroygbiv
I think as long as you have the right skill set, there's no harm trying! I would just check the website on the specific requirements.

Ah right. It said on the website computer science or related field.
Haven't got any reply either

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending