The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Speciez99
lol i turned durham down

what ? ;/
DazYaSSS
what ? ;/
no offence to anyone going there, but i really didnt think the beauty made up for the lack of entertainment
Reply 42
Speciez99
no offence to anyone going there, but i really didnt think the beauty made up for the lack of entertainment

lol, durham sucks, period :smile: just a bunch of oxford rejects.
Reply 43
Willa
physics is the subject that holds the science together. Chemistry is just a branch of physics, and biologist have been getting things wrong all these years. They've only started making any progress beyond philosophy as they've delved into genetics, and that's just chemistry, which is just physics. Physics IS science, you cant do science to a great depth without understanding at least some areas of physics.

Furthermore physics is what we use to understand the world, it represents what we have accomplished and reveals the fields of knowledge ahead of us. It is the one with the unanswered questions and the mysteries. And it is thanks to physics that we have made so much progress in society. Just as a brief example: The aeroplane would be nowhere without physics.

So i take my hat off to the greatest objective subject there is.

(The purest subject there is is maths, and that's the foundation of physics. The greatest subjective subject is philosophy).

physics is more of a luxury, albeit a very interesting one. i just think learning how to reproduce is more important than learning about a star x million light years away,

but physics is the smallest to the biggest, is very interesting. as Hawking said to understand physics is to see the mind of God(or something like that).
Reply 44
my god, you are just like richard dawkins. I picked up one of his books today for the first time, and they guy is really up his own arse about his subject. He loves biology. His opinion seems to be "Physics is all well and good, but lets face it, people aren't actually interested in anything it teaches us. Now biology, that's what the people are interested in. It actually teaches us the stuff we wanna know". And then he went on some bullshit talk about how reductionism is effectively the only scientific methodology. Idiot. The reality is that people wanna know about biology is cos the biologists have no clue what they're on about, and so change their minds most about stuff. If we understood the human body and nature and such, we wouldn't be interested in it. People unfortunately see physics as a "done and dusted" subject, which it is not! You see - I'll bring physics back to the lime-light. It's only thanks to physics that biologists are beginning to make any headway in understanding anything, genetics and the such.

Physics is the underlying principles of everything. Biology is a mere abstraction of the subject - an enquiry into complex physical mechanisms, which only by going right down to the base (genetics) are we really beginning to understand them!

Mod Expression - Strong Language Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.

Member Willa warned as to his future conduct following repeat violations
Willa
p biologist have been getting things wrong all these years.

which, obviously, chemists and physicists haven't..?
Willa
my god, you are just like richard dawkins. I picked up one of his books today for the first time, and they guy is really up his own arse about his subject. He loves biology.

if you change the last word there to "physics", it sounds remarkably like it's describing someone on here

Willa

The reality is that people wanna know about biology is cos the biologists have no clue what they're on about, and so change their minds most about stuff.

You what now sorry? People want to know about biology because biologists make stuff up and change their minds all the time? Erm.. right...! Want to give me some examples of biologists having no clue what they're on about? Personally, I think it's quite a good thing that experts in a particular field are able to change their minds as new evidence comes to light, rather than clinging to outdated concepts.

Willa

It's only thanks to physics that biologists are beginning to make any headway in understanding anything, genetics and the such.

Physics is the underlying principles of everything. Biology is a mere abstraction of the subject - an enquiry into complex physical mechanisms, which only by going right down to the base (genetics) are we really beginning to understand them!

I agree that physics underpins everything, but that doesn't mean that biology and chemistry are 'second-rate physics'. I don't actually understand quite a lot of what you are saying in your last sentence. What's your point, exactly? And why is biology a "mere abstraction" - could you explain a little more, please?

I don't really understand what your problem is with biology. What's the highest level you have studied it at? It sounds more than a little arrogant to write off a subject unless you have studied it extensively and really do know what it's about.

Rosie

Mod Expression - Strong Language in Quotation Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.
Reply 47
Willa
The reality is that people wanna know about biology is cos the biologists have no clue what they're on about, and so change their minds most about stuff.

You fool. And physicts don't change their minds? what about Hawking this month admitting that what he'd written about the universe maybe untrue.
physics is very vague and indefinite in most areas.

Mod Expression - Strong Language Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.
Reply 48
durham might be full of oxbridge rejects but its still top 4 physics (ooh 4 years in a trot). Oxbridge should wake up and learn thats its admissions policy just doesnt work and accept theyre just not the best anymore!

As for entertainment, its wat u make of it. wen visiting oxford Ive never seen such a dead town!
Lydiamonds
durham might be full of oxbridge rejects but its still top 4 physics (ooh 4 years in a trot). Oxbridge should wake up and learn thats its admissions policy just doesnt work and accept theyre just not the best anymore!

As for entertainment, its wat u make of it. wen visiting oxford Ive never seen such a dead town!

who do you think *is* the best?
I think you are being a bit silly, Willa...

Physics is fundamentally important to other sciences, I agree. Nevertheless, it is only a joint partner in how it effects our everyday life.

Would you pass up on a new wonder drug which could save you yourself from some horrible disease to find out if the quark has a sub-structure? I doubt it. Yet they are all the biochemists who can't do anything useful or avoid changing their minds every five seconds.

Nor do I want to pass up having electricity in my house (though that's mainly to do with the petrochemical industry) in order to find out that there's a previously undiscovered species of ant living in the Amazonian rainforest.

All science is important, not just physics. Likewise, all scientists are important and constantly evolving theory is the essence of all science.
Reply 51
I don;t actually see many people discuss what they like about physics :s-smilie: I didn't take it at A level (a bit too engineering-oriented IMO) but if I go to USA for college I would definately take Physics course! ...BECAUSE:

IMO whereas biology (and to an extent chemistry) fundamentally concentrate on explaining how things have become (well...are) so complicated in our world, physics concentrate on explains the simple facts and foundations that the other sciences are based on.

If you prefer a more specific answer, I would say i greatly enjoy particle physics, because it provides a whole new perspective when looking at the world. I don't really like the nitty-gritty topics like electric circuits, because they are too anthropocentric (haha I took an SAT and this word I remember :smile:)
Wagamuffin
I physics concentrate on explains the simple facts and foundations that the other sciences are based on.

yeah, dude, quantum physics is so simple.... ?!
Reply 53
What I mean is it's a foundation; and if we were to considere the human body in terms of quantum mech it would make our heads spin. IMO physics was considered simple (in a harmonious, good way) ages ago so we have dug deeper to find some kewl maths from it :smile:
Wagamuffin
What I mean is it's a foundation; and if we were to considere the human body in terms of quantum mech it would make our heads spin. IMO physics was considered simple (in a harmonious, good way) ages ago so we have dug deeper to find some kewl maths from it :smile:

so was biology

"God created this, and that's why it's how it is. End of lesson!"

:wink:
crana
yeah, dude, quantum physics is so simple.... ?!

Maybe not, but it's nice and mathematical. Don't you like trying to get your head around stuff?

I'd hate to sit and philosophise about life and stuff but quantum physics would be something I'd love to do (but my daddy said I had to do law or medicine as I've wasted enough of my life already! :frown:)
crana
"God created this, and that's why it's how it is. End of lesson!"

Behind me Satan! :tongue:
Reply 57
OK OK, I accept at the time of posting I was extremely pissed off at dawkins so kinda slagged off biology. I don't mean to imply biology is useless, I just meant to imply that saying biology is in some way "more important" than physics, or that physics is in some way "not important to most people" is just wrong. Physics is at least JUST AS important as biology, however my personal view is that it's even more important. That's all I wanted to get across.

And expression - it's ok an all you saying you're gonna give me a warning, but mate, I never bloody recieved the warning, you just deactivated my account out right. I mean, WTF!?

Be interesting to see which parts of my post you thought were particularly obscene - because I thought my views were controversial, and if I'm gonna have my words cut because of simply that, well then thanks a lot UK-L - what ever happened to bloody freedom of speech!

Eeek, am I being too obscene there!?
Reply 58
ARCHK0VEN

physics is very vague and indefinite in most areas.

except that it's not
polthegael
Maybe not, but it's nice and mathematical. Don't you like trying to get your head around stuff?

I'd hate to sit and philosophise about life and stuff but quantum physics would be something I'd love to do (but my daddy said I had to do law or medicine as I've wasted enough of my life already! :frown:)

sure i do but it doesnt malke it simple now does it1

Latest

Trending

Trending