The Student Room Group

Applying with extenuating circumstances

Hello,
I'm an undergraduate student doing Animal Science and am applying to Vet School this year. I have to have done at least 4 weeks work experience in the last 18 months - 2 weeks veterinary and 2 weeks non veterinary. I have already done the non-veterinary because I work as a shepherdess every Easter.
I had 7 weeks veterinary experience lined up over summer, however I then had to have a big operation on my foot with a long recovery period so had to cancel it all.

Any idea if there's any extenuating circumstances forms or any way of telling the universities that there is a good reason for not completing all my work experience? I'm looking to apply to the RVC Acellerated veterinary degree, Edinburgh Acclerated veterinary degree, and the full length veterinary medicine degree courses at Nottingham and Surrey.

Thank you!

Sophie
Ask your referee to talk about it and contact the unis directly and see what they can do/if they'd be willing to consider your application.
Reply 2
I'm applying independently so don't have a referee
I believe you still need a referee.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I believe you still need a referee.

How do I get one? I applied to my current degree without a referee so wouldn't know how to get one.
Original post by Sophie95xx
How do I get one? I applied to my current degree without a referee so wouldn't know how to get one.

Really? I'm surprised they let people on to courses without references. Did you apply to your current course via UCAS and a school/college? Even if you were applying directly you'd have needed a ref. Anyway you need to get a teacher, tutor or employer to write a reference. Guidelines are on the UCAS website.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Really? I'm surprised they let people on to courses without references. Did you apply to your current course via UCAS and a school/college? Even if you were applying directly you'd have needed a ref. Anyway you need to get a teacher, tutor or employer to write a reference. Guidelines are on the UCAS website.

I had references from places of work? But they just wrote a reference and had no further involvement with my application process.
Yes I applied through UCAS but applied as an individual, at the time I was not connected with a school/college because I was on a gap year and hadn't applied whilst doing A-Levels.

So I can't apply until I am back at university after summer and have someone to hold my hand through it all? That only gives me 2 weeks until closing deadline for Veterinay applications. And it's most definitely first come first serve with that kind of thing.

Is there definitely no other way to get extenuating circumstances forms?
So you did have references. Usually your referee deals with this and can still do. You can contact the unis and see how else they'd like evidence of what happened (doctor's certificate or the like). I'm not sure why you see this as someone holding your hand. Whether you're at uni or not an application process is an application process and requires certain things which you have to source in good time. It isn't much different from applying for a job.
Reply 8
So you did have references. Usually your referee deals with this and can still do. You can contact the unis and see how else they'd like evidence of what happened (doctor's certificate or the like). I'm not sure why you see this as someone holding your hand. Whether you're at uni or not an application process is an application process and requires certain things which you have to source in good time. It isn't much different from applying for a job.

Sorry I thought you were going along the lines of someone contacting Universities on my behalf to get the application process done. When I did my references the two companies emailed me a reference and I copied and pasted it into my application, they never personally came in contact with UCAS or the University as far as I was aware.
I didn't mean to sound rude about 'holding my hand', just when all my friends applied to Uni the school we went to literally did everything for them so I don't know if there's any middle ground in applying, i.e. someone either does everything for you or you have no help from anyone.
Thanks for you help, will just contact each individual uni and ask what they prefer.
Sorry I thought you were going along the lines of someone contacting Universities on my behalf to get the application process done. When I did my references the two companies emailed me a reference and I copied and pasted it into my application, they never personally came in contact with UCAS or the University as far as I was aware.
I didn't mean to sound rude about 'holding my hand', just when all my friends applied to Uni the school we went to literally did everything for them so I don't know if there's any middle ground in applying, i.e. someone either does everything for you or you have no help from anyone.
Thanks for you help, will just contact each individual uni and ask what they prefer.

Why not reconfirm the booking you had for vet experience, explain in one line that you were unable to take it up, but you will be doing so next summer or at Christmas. That way you get some of the benefit by showing the initiative and motivation to arrange it. Other thna that good advice from alley about contacting each one and seeing what they want or how best to represent it.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Why not reconfirm the booking you had for vet experience, explain in one line that you were unable to take it up, but you will be doing so next summer or at Christmas. That way you get some of the benefit by showing the initiative and motivation to arrange it. Other thna that good advice from alley about contacting each one and seeing what they want or how best to represent it.

That's a great idea, thank you so much!
That's a great idea, thank you so much!

If you can do that before you apply, then you really have soemthing to chat to the uni about.

You say I have an issue with my application. I understand experience is important and I had it all planned and confirmed, but unfortunately I suffered an injury and needed to have an operation. That meant I was unable to take up my planned experience, but as my foot has now healed I will be gaining that experience next Summer. U was just wondering whether I could have any guidance about how you might view this in terms of my application as I would hate to be prejudiced over something I had no control over and have done my best to remedy.

Hopefully that approach will get you some guidance and make yourself know to admissions. If you have the experience booked, then you can get most of the benefit of having done the 7 weeks. Juts focus on ideas of what you will learn and have already learned. Take their guidance.

Something along those lines anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
If you can do that before you apply, then you really have soemthing to chat to the uni about.

You say I have an issue with my application. I understand experience is important and I had it all planned and confirmed, but unfortunately I suffered an injury and needed to have an operation. That meant I was unable to take up my planned experience, but as my foot has now healed I will be gaining that experience next Summer. U was just wondering whether I could have any guidance about how you might view this in terms of my application as I would hate to be prejudiced over something I had no control over and have done my best to remedy.

Hopefully that approach will get you some guidance and make yourself know to admissions. If you have the experience booked, then you can get most of the benefit of having done the 7 weeks. Juts focus on ideas of what you will learn and have already learned. Take their guidance.

Something along those lines anyway.

Thank you that's amazing advice, I will get onto them ASAP! That's been amazing help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending