The Student Room Group

Gap Year GUIDE

Hi,
I am considering to take a gap year but a couple of questions come in to my mind straight away as I think about a gap year. The questions are given below;
1. Do you apply to universities through UCAS after a gap year? If yes, then do you have to fill the UCAS form in all over again?
2. Do you have to tell UCAS that you are going to be taking a gap year?
You've got three options:

-Apply now with deferred entry, I think all you have to do is put your start date not as next year but the year after. Make sure to double check with your university, and your department at that university that they do accept deferred entry. I was rejected by Edinburgh because of my deferred entry even though the uni as a whole seemed to be okay with it (The other unis I applied to were fine with it)
-You can apply now but defer your entry after you've gotten offers (wouldn't recommend this unless you've already started your application, there's no guarantee unis will accept you deferring)
-Don't do anything related to UCAS this year and apply next year once you know your grades

I've obviously only got experience of the first option but if you already know that you definitely want to take a gap year, and you don't think there's a chance of you changing your mind about the course or the uni I'd say that would be the best way to go, just gives you one less thing to stress about in your gap year when you've already got your place confirmed.
Reply 2
Original post by 3LostContinents
You've got three options:

-Apply now with deferred entry, I think all you have to do is put your start date not as next year but the year after. Make sure to double check with your university, and your department at that university that they do accept deferred entry. I was rejected by Edinburgh because of my deferred entry even though the uni as a whole seemed to be okay with it (The other unis I applied to were fine with it)
-You can apply now but defer your entry after you've gotten offers (wouldn't recommend this unless you've already started your application, there's no guarantee unis will accept you deferring)
-Don't do anything related to UCAS this year and apply next year once you know your grades

I've obviously only got experience of the first option but if you already know that you definitely want to take a gap year, and you don't think there's a chance of you changing your mind about the course or the uni I'd say that would be the best way to go, just gives you one less thing to stress about in your gap year when you've already got your place confirmed.

Thank you very much for your reply, can I apply for both deferred entry and normal entry at the same time?
Reply 3
If I take a gap year, can anyone tell me how to apply for a gap year? and how do you contact UCAS after completing the gap year?
Original post by zuli3211
If I take a gap year, can anyone tell me how to apply for a gap year? and how do you contact UCAS after completing the gap year?

Assuming you're taking the last poster's advice (and mine) of deferring your entry when you apply to UCAS. iirc, it's all or nothing, deferred entry or not. When you apply on UCAS, there'll be an option to defer entry to 2018 but be in the 2017 cycle.

Once the deferred entry has been applied for, your whole UCAS process continues as same as people apply for direct entry. You can still log into track during your gap year but essentially, the UCAS process stops at the same time as people not deferring their entry.

Quick Reply

Latest