The Student Room Group

International student, Ucas and Fees problem

Hi guys, just a background info so I've finished my Y12 and I was currently looking at unis which I'd like to go to during summer break. I'm hoping to do Mechanical Engineering (BEng) course with placement year. And my situation is very weird.

So I came in UK at the end of October 2022 and started studying sixth form. Now the problem is that it's been 10 months since I've been here and I've checked the fees of unis offering this course which are typically around £25-30k.

Now realistically my parents can't afford to pay that much for 4 years straight. So I talked to my careers and they couldn't help me too much all they told me was I need to be settled' in the UK on 'the first day of the first academic year' of my course living atleast 3 yrs in UK to be granted the same fee as a home student(which is around £9k). Now I came late when a month or so when the school started and now I'm panicking because even after finishing Y12 and Y13 it will be classed as just '1 Year' and I don't want to waste my time and take 2 gap years.

I'm worried that even if I get good grades in the end I wouldn't be able to a my desired uni because my parents aren't able to pay that much amount the problem is I can't even take loans it's not allowed for me.im really hopeless I don't know what to do I don't want to waste my efforts and go to some low class uni.
Can anyone guide me on this. Thanks
Original post by Shabahat Ali
Hi guys, just a background info so I've finished my Y12 and I was currently looking at unis which I'd like to go to during summer break. I'm hoping to do Mechanical Engineering (BEng) course with placement year. And my situation is very weird.

So I came in UK at the end of October 2022 and started studying sixth form. Now the problem is that it's been 10 months since I've been here and I've checked the fees of unis offering this course which are typically around £25-30k.

Now realistically my parents can't afford to pay that much for 4 years straight. So I talked to my careers and they couldn't help me too much all they told me was I need to be settled' in the UK on 'the first day of the first academic year' of my course living atleast 3 yrs in UK to be granted the same fee as a home student(which is around £9k). Now I came late when a month or so when the school started and now I'm panicking because even after finishing Y12 and Y13 it will be classed as just '1 Year' and I don't want to waste my time and take 2 gap years.

I'm worried that even if I get good grades in the end I wouldn't be able to a my desired uni because my parents aren't able to pay that much amount the problem is I can't even take loans it's not allowed for me.im really hopeless I don't know what to do I don't want to waste my efforts and go to some low class uni.
Can anyone guide me on this. Thanks

This might sounds like a weird question, but do you know the basis of you right to stay in the UK right now? I only ask as this, on the UK Council for International Student Affairs web site, goes into quite a lot of detail about the rules, which are different for:

Refugees and their family
Those granted humanitarian protected, and their family
Those granted stateless leave, and their family
Those with Section 67 leave (which seems unlikely)
Those with Calais leave
Person granted leave under the Afgham schemes
etc. etc.

This is a public forum, so you probably don't want to actually say which of the above schemes (if any) applies. But if one of them does, you might find that the rules are other than what you've stated above.

Also, note that the real experts on this topic are to be found in the Ask Student Finance England forum (or the equivalent for other parts of the UK).
Reply 2
Hi guys, just a background info so I've finished my Y12 and I was currently looking at unis which I'd like to go to during summer break. I'm hoping to do Mechanical Engineering (BEng) course with placement year. And my situation is very weird. So I came in UK at the end of October 2022 and started studying sixth form. Now the problem is that it's been 10 months since I've been here and I've checked the fees of unis offering this course which are typically around £25-30k. Now realistically my parents can't afford to pay that much for 4 years straight. So I talked to my careers and they couldn't help me too much all they told me was I need to be settled' in the UK on 'the first day of the first academic year' of my course living atleast 3 yrs in UK to be granted the same fee as a home student(which is around £9k). Now I came late when a month or so when the school started and now I'm panicking because even after finishing Y12 and Y13 it will be classed as just '1 Year' and I don't want to waste my time and take 2 gap years.I'm worried that even if I get good grades in the end I wouldn't be able to a my desired uni because my parents aren't able to pay that much amount the problem is I can't even take loans it's not allowed for me.im really hopeless I don't know what to do I don't want to waste my efforts and go to some low class uni. Can anyone guide me on this. Thanks
Original post by Shabahat Ali
Hi guys, just a background info so I've finished my Y12 and I was currently looking at unis which I'd like to go to during summer break. I'm hoping to do Mechanical Engineering (BEng) course with placement year. And my situation is very weird. So I came in UK at the end of October 2022 and started studying sixth form. Now the problem is that it's been 10 months since I've been here and I've checked the fees of unis offering this course which are typically around £25-30k. Now realistically my parents can't afford to pay that much for 4 years straight. So I talked to my careers and they couldn't help me too much all they told me was I need to be settled' in the UK on 'the first day of the first academic year' of my course living atleast 3 yrs in UK to be granted the same fee as a home student(which is around £9k). Now I came late when a month or so when the school started and now I'm panicking because even after finishing Y12 and Y13 it will be classed as just '1 Year' and I don't want to waste my time and take 2 gap years.I'm worried that even if I get good grades in the end I wouldn't be able to a my desired uni because my parents aren't able to pay that much amount the problem is I can't even take loans it's not allowed for me.im really hopeless I don't know what to do I don't want to waste my efforts and go to some low class uni. Can anyone guide me on this. Thanks

You posted this several hours after I replied to your other identical thread in this same forum.

Please don't do that; it's against TSR Community Guidelines to post duplicate threads, as it just splits any responses you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending