The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in new maths gcse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by mathogram
The Mathematical concepts themselves, are not any more difficult, I have noticed whilst studying both curriculums. But there are a lot more traps and it is easier to make silly mistakes due to the questions' sneaky wording. Up to a level 7/8 is up to mathematical ability, the level 9 people are the people who have practised a lot and are very cautious of making mistakes in the working, i.e reading the question twice, checking each step of working. But unless you aim to be a pure, theoretical, mathematician, like me, and take the STEP paper, it shouldn't really matter. I have heard that you need to lose a maximum of around 20 marks over the whole 3 papers to get a 9.

Yes I agree:smile:
Original post by _gcx
You say that without having seen the OP's mathematical ability? As per one of their previous threads, they got an A* on the old spec, so a 9 is pretty possible.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-FC-STATS-JUNE-2015.PDF

7.6% of people getting an A* on the old maths GCSE spec in 2015. The guy you're talking to is blabbing ****, getting an 8 is just as easy as getting an A* in the old spec. The content has increase but the grade boundaries will go down if people find it harder. Not hard to understand tbh, the guy is just an idiot who is trying to convince himself its the new system thats bad and not himself and his lack of preparation.
Original post by dannie.12
So you think I should lower my goal? D you think it will be impossible for me to achieve a 9?

Certainly not! Aim for 9 and don't doubt yourself! With hard work and patience anything is possible! :smile:)
Original post by Mxnn1
Ok let me clarify, A grade 9 in the new 9-1 GCSE Mathematics spec (first paper being tomorrow at 8:40 am) is admittedly a lot harder than obtaining a grade A* in the original legacy GCSE mathematics (2016 and previously).

That being said, it is still very attainable. Take me I achieved a grade 9 in my mocks obtaining 89% average across all 3 papers and I did really badly in paper 1 getting 78% but in paper 2 I obtained 93% and in paper 3 I obtained above 96%. I did achieve a grade 9 but JUST. (I used to get 100% in the old GCSE papers like you said easy and "brainless" I agree)

I'm doing Edexcel btw and a grade 8 is considered lower and easier to attain than the original A* grade from old GCSE Mathematics, so getting a grade 8 should be no trouble for A* students. However, that said being said, a grade 9 WILL require you to be not only an expert at the content but also an expert at time management and being analytical about each and every question in the paper.

Think of grade 9 as the original A* grade in terms of question difficulty but you will have to get more of these hard questions correct throughout the paper to actually achieve grade 9 overall.

More practice and familiarization with new question style is key! Good Luck:smile:

I'm in year 10 going up to 11 and a few days ago I did an H1 edexcel maths paper and scored 87% so fingers crossed it will go well next year! Good luck everyone :smile:)
Reply 84
"5% in the country" sounds scary, but in reality that's just 1 in 20. If you really work hard and use your brain, I don't think it's all too difficult to be better than 19 of the average Brit doing the same qualification.
Original post by 0zzu
"5% in the country" sounds scary, but in reality that's just 1 in 20. If you really work hard and use your brain, I don't think it's all too difficult to be better than 19 of the average Brit doing the same qualification.

Actually that is true. I hadn't thought about it like that
Original post by Light Venom
whats a 9, is that equiv to a* or an E

A**
A 9 is entirely possible - I got a 9 in mocks (97%, only lost 7 marks). You have to work EXTREMELY hard - make sure you know and understand every point on the spec in full detail, practice questions on each topic (CGP revision guide or online) and do EVERY past paper available (other exam boards plus old ones). In preparation for my gcse, I did close to 40 papers - but when it came to the exam, I felt quite confident and am hoping for an 8/9 on Thursday
Original post by Aklaol
I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.

Original post by Aklaol
I want to be honest with you. Sadly a lot of members on TSR are ignorant when it comes to the new 9-1 system. A 9 is very, very unlikely to get. Even my friend who got an A* in IGCSE Maths, an A* in L2 Further Maths, and an A in FMSQ said that he wouldn't be able to get a 9. A 9 is honestly a ridiculous grade, I'd definitely say aim for an 8. You may have a very slim chance to get a 9, but don't be disappointed if it's not possible.

Original post by Aklaol
OP, you can aim for a 9, but I'm literally going to be the only one here who is going to give you facts about the new spec. Everyone else here thinks that a 9 is like an A* at GCSE. A* at GCSE was extremely easy to obtain, unlike a 9. Good luck.

Jeezzz.... People like you honestly, wish they would just stop talking sometimes. No one ever said a 9 was easy. Please all @_gcx and the others on here said was that you need to be in the top 4% and there is no easy work around it. If you imply that as suggesting top 4% of the country is easy then meh, you need to learn to imply better. Roughly 600,000 candidates sat the new maths spec, out of them, only around 7000-9000 people will get 9. What you need to learn is that it won't be impossible to get a 9. Without having seen OPs ability and how good he is, you merely said he should aim for a 7/8 which is more realistic. If the OP wants to aim for a 9, then let him aim for a 9. With hardwork, anything is possible so please don't try and demoralise him.

As for the OPs actual question, I would suggest you talk to your teachers. I have a list of topics which were given to me by my teacher to do and practice questions on. They contain a breakdown of different segments within the topic as well. I was unable to find the combined one which I received in year 11, will try and ask my teacher for a copy again on results day and upload it here. But work on these topics, if you understand them, move on to other topics. Use the websites other people have recommended already but one website which I loved because you can learnt the basics from it is mathswatch. I don't know if your school gave you a login for it but if you do have it, use it.

Feel free to pm me if you need help with something and I will try to help you :u:
Original post by tolulah
A 9 is entirely possible - I got a 9 in mocks (97%, only lost 7 marks). You have to work EXTREMELY hard - make sure you know and understand every point on the spec in full detail, practice questions on each topic (CGP revision guide or online) and do EVERY past paper available (other exam boards plus old ones). In preparation for my gcse, I did close to 40 papers - but when it came to the exam, I felt quite confident and am hoping for an 8/9 on Thursday

I guess everyone is different.
Original post by tolulah

Good luck! Xx
Supposedly 190/240 is needed for a 9, as per the leaked grade boundaries.
Original post by spectral_theory
Supposedly 190/240 is needed for a 9, as per the leaked grade boundaries.

that is low especially if the leaked legacy grades are correct .
Do not throw stupid advice at people, Dannie 12 should aim for the highest possible grade, which is a 9. T
Anythings possible. The top 4% of the country will achieve a grade 9. The person asking this could easily be in that percentage. I dont feel your comment is very helpful in motivating them to do so.
Original post by MrIso
You can watch this space come results day, and i,ve already completed the spec, it wasn't as hard as its made to seem

Yeah..current y11 here and its that much harder than before. a 9 is definitely possible
Reply 96
Just try your best
Reply 97
Does anyone have VLE login to share??
Original post by Aklaol
I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.

you are the one making ignorant comments you baffoon!!!!!
I would say past papers are the best thing because they give you real exam questions. Also my school gave us a series of harder questions to try and a huge pack of past papers from a bunch of different specs. I just took my GCSEs in 2019, and for maths I only did past papers and made some flash card with processes of longer questions / equations and conversions . Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest