The Student Room Group
Reply 1
its 4000chara is the word limit, or 47 lines, whichever comes first.

copy it into apply and see how over or under you are, it'll tell you.

ucas counts spaces.
Ucas are really bloody strict with the line and character limit aswell, I remember constantly having to re write my Personal statement because it was always a line over, or a few characters over. So annoying!
But as Mtbab said the best thing to do is paste into the form and it'll tell you how many you have done.
Reply 3
Yep, 4000 characters including spaces and 47 lines, whichever one you reach first....

Near finished mine and according to microsoft its 20 less characters than UCAS thinks it is, don't know how seeing as it's identical but fits in nicely. Just under 4,000 characters, 47 lines and 4 paragraphs :smile: thought i'd never fit it all in at one point
Reply 4
feck, darn and *******s, just when i thought mine was perfect GRRRR!!!
Eek, not looking forward to that bit :smile:

I've had a varied (as in variously depressing :p: ) life and the admissions tutors have advised me to squeeze all the relevant info in.

I think it might end up being 70% about my history, 25% about my academic ability and 5% about why I want to read psych :p:
It's 4000 characters including spaces or 47 lines, so it looks like you have a bit of cutting down to do :p:

DodgyTrousers
I think it might end up being 70% about my history, 25% about my academic ability and 5% about why I want to read psych :p:

Why do you want to write about your history? If you mean things like extenuating circumstances that have affected your grades, they should go in the reference, as should your academic ability. Your personal statement should be more like 75% at least why you want to read psychology and 25% at most other things like extra-curriculars and work experience.
Reply 7
XIII
Yep, 4000 characters including spaces and 47 lines, whichever one you reach first....

That's what I thought, but my PS was just under 4000 characters and when I tried saving it they said it was too long as it was 50 lines (even though I was within the character limit) :frown: So it seems like it's got to be both 4000 characters (with spaces) AND 47 lines. Argh the nightmare that is the UCAS form!
copy it into notepad before copying it into Apply - word tends to use curly speech marks and a few other special characters which get removed by UCAS - pasting it through notepad reverts the characters back into ones that UCAS accept.
Reply 9
xemmajanex
That's what I thought, but my PS was just under 4000 characters and when I tried saving it they said it was too long as it was 50 lines (even though I was within the character limit) :frown: So it seems like it's got to be both 4000 characters (with spaces) AND 47 lines. Argh the nightmare that is the UCAS form!

exactly, so you reached the 47lines first.

Latest

Trending

Trending