The Student Room Group

UCAS application ‘extra activities’ question and more

It doesn’t let me put more than 2 activities is this normal?!! The activities I have done don’t fit with my ps so I don’t want to put it there.

Does this mean doing lots of work experience (online or irl) and online courses are no use on my application unless it’s talked in my ps or put under ‘extra activities.’

What would be more valuable to put under the ‘extra activities?’ Work exp (although it’s only networking), summer school (only 1 was very helpful), programmes (I have 2) or taster sessions (that are directly related to my uni choice) ??

So… does this mean the main determinant of getting into unis is my grades and PS?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Skittles_beans
It doesn’t let me put more than 2 activities is this normal?!! The activities I have done don’t fit with my ps so I don’t want to put it there.

Does this mean doing lots of work experience (online or irl) and online courses are no use on my application unless it’s talked in my ps or put under ‘extra activities.’

What would be more valuable to put under the ‘extra activities?’ Work exp (although it’s only networking), summer school (only 1 was very helpful), programmes (I have 2) or taster sessions (that are directly related to my uni choice) ??

So… does this mean the main determinant of getting into unis is my GRADES and PS?

Nothing you put under “extra activities” is valuable. The section is used to identify applicants who have been involved in university outreach activities and programs. It isn’t used in selection. Work experience shouldn’t be included.

What are you trying to include?
Original post by PQ
Nothing you put under “extra activities” is valuable. The section is used to identify applicants who have been involved in university outreach activities and programs. It isn’t used in selection. Work experience shouldn’t be included.

What are you trying to include?

Ohhh I see, I don’t exactly want to include any work experience in my ps though since it was mostly networking and not industry tasks. So does this mean that the number of work exp (online and in real life) is kind of pointless when it comes to my application?

I think I’ll just add the two programmes I’ve been in
Ohhh I see, I don’t exactly want to include any work experience in my ps though since it was mostly networking and not industry tasks. So does this mean that the number of work exp (online and in real life) is kind of pointless when it comes to my application?

Degree applications for academic courses are based on academic interests and qualifications not work experience. The value of work experience is for applying for work not for academic degrees.
Reply 4

Couldn't you just put the work experience in your PS and just say what skills you got from it that will make you attractive to the uni? Doesn't explicitly have to link with the subject you are applying for, any work experience is beneficial.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by olivsmea
Couldn't you just put the work experience in your PS and just say what skills you got from it that will make you attractive to the uni? Doesn't explicitly have to link with the subject you are applying for, any work experience is beneficial.

The issue with this is that it takes up character space where you should be writing about your academic suitability and motivation. Instead you write about generic soft skills which every applicant has and is completely ignored by admissions staff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending