The Student Room Group

I'm being forced to do Maths A levels and I hate it.

Some background info first. I live in Bangladesh, and most people here generally tend to fall into the category of either 'business/commerce' students, or 'science' students when it comes to A levels. Now because of this pretty much every school here teaches those subjects exclusively (i.e Maths, Physics, Chem, Bio, Economics, Business Studies, Accounting) and little else.

This is a problem for me however, because I'm striving to get an English degree, preferably from a good Russell Group Uni in the UK, and I would love to do a combination of English Literature, History and Religious Studies for my A levels or something along those lines, but since my school or no other school here teaches any of those subjects but English (and even then I'm the only student in the class -_-), I'm being forced to do other subjects as well (Economics and Maths are what I've picked). Additionally, I've also chosen to attempt to do History by myself because I enjoy the subject and I got 97% for it at gcses.

In the last few weeks, I've grown to completely detest Maths and to a lesser extent Economics, because 1) I don't really care for either subject too much, thus meaning that the broadness of both at AS level makes me absolutely frustrated, and 2) The fact that I hate them is resulting in me having to spend more time on those two and is leaving me with less time to focus on History, which is a subject I'm actually legitimately passionate about.

Now you might be thinking, why don't I just drop either one of Maths or Economics and just do three subjects right? Well here's the kicker, my school won't let me do the AS/A level exams through them unless I do a minimum of three subjects with them and not privately, so History is irrelevant.

So here's what really worries me -

To summarise, I adore English Literature and History and am fairly confident that I can get As for both of them at AS/A Level, but in contrast find both Maths and Economics painfully uninteresting, and feel that I might possibly get grades as low as C or D for them because of this, and that would be an issue for me because most Russell Group Unis require at least three As for their English courses. Going abroad to a 6th form college that does have the subjects I'm interested in is not an option for me because I simply can't afford it and need to save up for Uni. So my question is, how the hell do I cope with those two subjects and somehow manage to get As for them?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest