The Student Room Group

Career Change ... Feeling very lost

Hi Everyone,

Not sure where or indeed who to turn to with this one, so thought this might be a good place to start!

I need some advice on changing careers, below is some background:

I am currently 29, working as a software developer for a large company in Yorkshire, and whilst the salary is good, I am getting no job satisfaction what so ever. The best way to describe how I feel is lost, very lost. I do not enjoy my job, and have not done so for a while. I thought moving from Customer Services to IT would cure a similar feeling I had a few years back, but it has returned, and is worse than ever. Not to drag on, but the feeling I am getting when even getting up to go to work is terrible. My work are aware of how I feel, and they are trying, but I believe it to be the role itself, and indeed the fact it is in IT.

I have done a lot of self-evaluation to try and ascertain what I want to do, and at the moment can only list the actions I want from a job. These are:

1. To solve problems
2. To have a positive impact on peoples lives
3. To be able to travel around, never seeing the same place twice.
4. To do something hands on, and learn a skill('s)/trade
5. To have real progression and training. I have been in Customer Service and IT for 10 years now and not had anything nationally recognised in the way of training (or any training to mention really).

The above lead me to engineering as a vocation, it seems to tick most of the boxes.

So that is the problem I guess. I have been looking around and feel that the only option I have is to do an apprenticeship, but at 29 I am concerned that I will be overlooked for a much younger candidate. I also do now know how much longer I can stay in my current job.

My partner also started an apprenticeship in the past month as a BT Engineer Apprentice, and I am so happy for him. I think seeing him come home at weekends saying he has just learnt something, or been certified in a particular skill is what is spurring me on, but also making me feel quite low about the whole thing.

So the questions I have are this:

1. Has anyone been in the same position and made it through the otherside?
2. Am I worrying too much about the age thing?
3. Is it even conceivable to make such a change from IT into Engineering?
4. Who would you recommend for an Apprenticeship? I have to admit I am very keen on BT, apart from the working at heights bit which I might struggle with, but I might just have to get over that as a lot of other places seem to need it. But they do not seem to be taking applications at the moment.

Sorry for the long post, but hoping someone might spot this who has been in a similar position and can give some help ...
1. Has anyone been in the same position and made it through the otherside?
I made a career change and came into engineering with JLR through their apprenticeship scheme.
2. Am I worrying too much about the age thing?
Nope, I started at 24, there were people in their 30s
3. Is it even conceivable to make such a change from IT into Engineering?
Got A-Levels? Is one of them Maths? Could do a degree apprenticeship
Got GCSEs? Got Maths and English (and a few others?) Do an advanced apprenticeship, will be more hands on, and still get NVQs to show.
4. Who would you recommend for an Apprenticeship? I have to admit I am very keen on BT, apart from the working at heights bit which I might struggle with, but I might just have to get over that as a lot of other places seem to need it. But they do not seem to be taking applications at the moment.
JLR, BAE, Rolls Royce, BMW... The list goes on. Where are you from? Are you wanting to relocate (I'd guess no as your partner has just started an apprenticeship)
Keep your eyes peeled, applications will be going live imminently, with the process taking around a year. Definitely have a look if it's something you'd be interested in. I'll happily take any further questions on here or PM if you want to ask anything else?
Reply 2
Thanks for that Donkey, really helpful :smile:

I am based in Yorkshire (Leeds) so would prefer to not relocate. But the only people I can see that seem to be a good fit in the area would be British Gas, BT, Network Rail or Yorkshire Water (even though that has a relocation for a year).

Trying to convert my fears into positives. Even looking at going to Go-Ape to try and deal with the fear of heights thing.

Will look into JLR and see what they have :smile:
Original post by braken2000
Thanks for that Donkey, really helpful :smile:

I am based in Yorkshire (Leeds) so would prefer to not relocate. But the only people I can see that seem to be a good fit in the area would be British Gas, BT, Network Rail or Yorkshire Water (even though that has a relocation for a year).

Trying to convert my fears into positives. Even looking at going to Go-Ape to try and deal with the fear of heights thing.

Will look into JLR and see what they have :smile:

JLR is pretty much exclusively Midlands based, and Liverpool, have a hunt around I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Advanced tends to be more hands on than degree, but you can get hands on in both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending