The Student Room Group

Age 29, is it too late?

Hi guys, I am feeling anxious, insecure and lost, hoping to seek some advices here, there isn't someone I feel comfortable sharing this with IRL.

A little on my background, graduated in 2016, worked in finance for a few years, broke into investment banking at a BB (stayed for only ~a year). I then started a small business 3 years ago but unfortunately didn't work out. My CV is very jumpy.

Feeling lost in life, applied for postgrad and somehow received offers from Oxbridge (some applied mathematics). It's a two year program so I will be 31 upon graduation, my plan is to either i) return to the financial sector or ii) continue into a phd, depending on funding opportunities.

While I am passionate about the subject, I can't help but worry that I might simply too old to benefit from further education, would I be wasting my time? I feel a strong sense of underachievement when comparing with my peers, who have already been promoted to VP etc. in their late 20s :frown:
Hey there,

I hope I can offer some consolation.

Although your experience and industry differs from mine, I just want you to know that you’re never too old not to benefit. I’m not saying that for the sake of it, I mean it, you’re far from retirement- use this time to maximise your career!

I’m constantly conflicted with myself as someone who is starting university as a mature student and hoping to do my masters afterwards, but after speaking with my peers and friends I’ve realised one or two years in your 20s or even 30s is well worth it in the long run. You’ll only regret the chances you don’t take.

Also massive congratulations on the oxbridge offers- that’s impressive!

Just some advice, give it some thought.

All the best :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by whereismypizza
Hi guys, I am feeling anxious, insecure and lost, hoping to seek some advices here, there isn't someone I feel comfortable sharing this with IRL.

A little on my background, graduated in 2016, worked in finance for a few years, broke into investment banking at a BB (stayed for only ~a year). I then started a small business 3 years ago but unfortunately didn't work out. My CV is very jumpy.

Feeling lost in life, applied for postgrad and somehow received offers from Oxbridge (some applied mathematics). It's a two year program so I will be 31 upon graduation, my plan is to either i) return to the financial sector or ii) continue into a phd, depending on funding opportunities.

While I am passionate about the subject, I can't help but worry that I might simply too old to benefit from further education, would I be wasting my time? I feel a strong sense of underachievement when comparing with my peers, who have already been promoted to VP etc. in their late 20s :frown:

What age do you expect to retire? 60? 65? Even 70? How many years would you get out of this new career track?

Of course you're not too old. People change careers all the time. Don't compare your path to anyone else - if this is what you want to do, take the chance now!

I've done various different things in my time since leaving school, and still question if I'm doing enough with my life... You know what? Some of my high-achieving, high-earning friends have envied the path I took.

I myself am about to start teacher training at 27 (almost 28🥲) and won't be fully qualified/through my ECT until I'm 30. So what? This is the career I want to change to, and it's better to do it now rather than think it over for another few years.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Nope, it's not too late. :smile:
My father was much older than you when he started uni as an undergrad and it took him decades to get on the property ladder & become a millionaire.
Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks guys for the supportive advices, they truly mean a lot to me.

Guess I should stop comparing myself with others, 100% devote/focus on my new journey and make the most out of this opportunity :smile:
@whereismypizza Hi there!

That’s the spirit! Never compare yourself with anyone. Also, congratulations on your offer! :smile:

Thank you for taking courage to share your story. It takes a lot of strength to share what you are truly going through.

I am sincerely sorry for what you are currently experiencing in this time. However, you should never stop trying and taking on new opportunities. As cliché as it may sound…age is just a number, and it does not have the power to determine who you will be or what you should do.

Honestly, your CV is not jumpy. It is just pure evidence that you are a hard worker, and it proves that you have great skills in finance and business. Just know that there are various ways to fund your post graduate studies. One of which is you could study a post graduate course online (part-time) while working.

I will leave you with this quote by Winston Churchhill: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” :flower2:

If you have any questions regarding studying online, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Minkateko University of Essex Online Student Ambassador
Reply 6
You're going to be 31 regardless; would you rather be 31 with or without this master's?

I'm 37, about to start a funded PhD, and used to have worried exactly like this. When I was 31, I really wanted to do a PhD but absolutely thought I'd "missed my chance". Two years seemed like a really long time up until a couple of years ago. Two years now seems like no time at all, and it really isn't, especially if you're doing something you really value, you enjoy, and you wholeheartedly want to do. Looking back, the time between 29 and 31 went in an absolute flash, and I'm fairly sure if you look back at this in ten years it'll be similar. The passage of time really does start to shift in your mid thirties in a weird kind of way. I really wish I'd worried much less about it!
Original post by whereismypizza

Hi there,
You're definitely never too old to benefit from doing a postgraduate degree. It sounds like you've had a wide variety of experiences and this has helped you decide what you want. Something that has always inspired me is being reminded that the time will pass anyway and you might as well spend it pursuing something that you are passionate about. It's also a great opportunity to meet new people, potentially live somewhere new and explore new hobbies whilst you're at university through societies etc.

I'd say go for it!

Hope this helps

- Sophie
Reply 8
I just wanted to echo the comments of the others, you're definitely not too old, I'll be 45 when I start my MSc in September but the course will help me to grow both as an individual and professionally. If it's something you want to go for and you have the opportunity grab it with both hands.
Started a Masters in my early 40s, now about to finish my PhD and start an entire new career as an academic. This is beyond question the best thing I have ever done (and if I can say that while writing-up, it must be true!).

You will find that your years of working life will give you some context and some experience that can really benefit you (and your PGR friends too!). Look for opportunities to form a productive part of your research community, to support your peers and to let them support you. Some fields seem to have built-in community (lab based sciences, looking at you) For the rest of us, turning up for stuff, talking to people, asking questions, being kind are invaluable ways to start building a reputation in your department as a good person to work with, and will bring opportunities your way.

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending