The Student Room Group

hobbies

whenever completing an application form for anything, I am asked about my hobbies. I used to enjoy reading but ever since covid, I've slowly lost interest in everything. I don't seem to have any proper hobbies, unless you count watching videos and tv shows online, or listening to music (I'm too shy to talk about it when people ask, so it becomes awkward when I say that). My grades seem to be slipping and I find it hard to study for exams- even when I am alone with quiet music or trying all those different study methods, mindfulness, you name it-nothing seems to work.

I don't know if it's an after-effect of using my phone too much. I've been online so much over the past year, I think I've been focusing too much on other people's lives...and forgot about my own.

does anybody have any advice or anything?
Since you enjoy things like watching videoes and tv shows, you could develop a hobby from it such as writing your own stories and posting them on places like wattpad (if you want - because then it becomes proof that you have this hobby). You could also find inspiration from the videoes you watch like by posting short edits or video clips on TikTock or YouTube shorts.

To help with the studying part, you could focus on a goal like career goals or academic ones such as a specific university you want to go to or qualification you want to obtain and let this be a motivating factor. Personally, I always remind myself whenever I feel down that I’d regret all the time I’ve wasted and none of the dreams I want to achieve will come true unless I change my attitude and approach.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Since you enjoy things like watching videoes and tv shows, you could develop a hobby from it such as writing your own stories and posting them on places like wattpad (if you want - because then it becomes proof that you have this hobby). You could also find inspiration from the videoes you watch like by posting short edits or video clips on TikTock or YouTube shorts.

To help with the studying part, you could focus on a goal like career goals or academic ones such as a specific university you want to go to or qualification you want to obtain and let this be a motivating factor. Personally, I always remind myself whenever I feel down that I’d regret all the time I’ve wasted and none of the dreams I want to achieve will come true unless I change my attitude and approach.

Tbh I was thinking of getting into editing or something like that because I have seen my friend doing it and it sounds like fun. It's just that I don't want to find ways to increase my screen time. As for writing, as much as I love reading, I've always felt....scared about writing? Not that I can't, probably because it would take me effort. I'm sort of a perfectionist when I try and do tasks so if I think they are going to take to much effort and I'm not committed, I don't start them 😭. Also, I seem to find ways to make excuses for my actions so I'm not even sure if they are valid anymore. I feel like this is something I need to fix first.

For the studying thing, before the summer holidays and after the exams, I was slowly starting to see a future where I could pursue medicine and my progress all through the year made me feel like I could do it but when I saw my results, especially for sciences, they were shocking to me and I instantly lost any motivation to go down that career path. Again, I should probably have made a back up plan but I've never ever even imagined myself with a job so I'm currently looking for inspiration. I know it sounds like I'm just giving up before even starting things but it's just because I worry too much about the struggle and how other people will perceive me.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
whenever completing an application form for anything, I am asked about my hobbies. I used to enjoy reading but ever since covid, I've slowly lost interest in everything. I don't seem to have any proper hobbies, unless you count watching videos and tv shows online, or listening to music (I'm too shy to talk about it when people ask, so it becomes awkward when I say that). My grades seem to be slipping and I find it hard to study for exams- even when I am alone with quiet music or trying all those different study methods, mindfulness, you name it-nothing seems to work.

I don't know if it's an after-effect of using my phone too much. I've been online so much over the past year, I think I've been focusing too much on other people's lives...and forgot about my own.

Hey!

I feel EXACTLY the same since covid! I used to be able to read for hours and that was my main hobby but now I really struggle to sit and read for a long period of time and I think it's because I'm so used to sitting on my phone and watching tiktoks all the time.

I've tried a few hobbies now that keep my hands occupied as it stops me from going on my phone for a while. Some things I've enjoyed are:
- Yoga
- Crochet
- Paint by numbers (you can buy cheap paint by numbers kit on Amazon)

These might not be the type of things that you enjoy but you could play a sport, bake or cook, draw, anything that keeps your hands busy and stops you from going on your phone.

Hope that helps :smile:
Abbie
Reply 4

Yep. That sounds about right. When I use my phone too much I can feel my very sole slipping out of my body. Time to start a digital detox.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending