Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Uni. Students: How did you pick your choices, and where do you study now?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hey people.

Please can you do me a favour, it'd help me quite a lot if you could answer the questions above since I need to pick my choices quite soon and there are a few things that I'm not sure about.. but with this question I think I'll know more.

Thank you!

When I started my A Levels I wanted to do Medicine. After a few weeks I realised I really hated human biology and I found the other aspects more interesting, which helped me chose Biology as my subject choice (along with the fact it was my best subject and I found it really easy).

After that I had a look at the subject league tables (I know they don't really mean anything, but I thought it was a good place to start). After that I made a list of the ones I believed I could get the grades for (without going too far below what I expected to get. I thought I would get AAB/AAA, so I didn't bother looking at courses that asked for BBC, for example). I decided pretty early on I really wanted to get away from where I grew up so I took out any universities that were nearby, or any that I didn't like the area they were in.

Then I started looking at the courses and universities to see what I liked the look of. Until this point I was going to apply to Oxford because my dad went there and my school was pushing me into doing it, but after having a look at the course I realised that it wasn't right for me so I didn't apply. It's important to think about where you would be happy, not what sounds the best! I also looked at what courses offered a year in industry because that was something I was interested in at the time.

I ended up choosing Bath, Nottingham (for Biology and Microbiology - I ended up turning down both offers so sorry Nottingham!), Southampton (my insurance) and Imperial (my firm). I went on open days for all of them and I found that really helped me find where I felt most comfortable. If you have time then I think it's a good idea to go on an open day before you apply.

I'm just going into my final year at Imperial now and I'm really happy I chose it as my firm.
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your choices
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.