Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How do you make friends?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Well this is going to sound pathetic, however I suppose I feel like this might be of some sort of help to me. I am a second year student at the University of Southampton yet I find myself in the position of not having any friends other than my lone housemate, himself having multiple different other friendship groups that he spends the majority of his time with. Conversely, I spend most of my time in our house, alone, because there isn't anything else I can do. I feel as if people are not interested in communicating with me when I am around them and even if we end up talking, which I always attempt to do so, they seem to quickly brush me away and not want to have anything to do with me. Any friends that I have ever had in my life have always left, they seemingly haven't wanted me as part of their lives any longer. This is a trend, and as a result of this all I can think about is that there must be something ctriticly wrong with me. I try to be the best person that I possibly can be, but this does not seem to effect anything, it is always the same outcome. I have a few hobbies which I enjoy involving myself in, however the lack of human interaction is beginning to completely turn me away from anything other than lying in bed and hoping somebody might message me asking me how I am, or that something might change, or maybe even myself just not waking up; of course this is not the case. I feel so alone, so unwanted, so unattractive and a burden, it is making me incredibly upset and very difficult to see anything remotely positive about life. I'm not sure what to do. This is effectively ruining my life, it's driving me towards the edge. I like to think I have something to offer people, to offer to humanity, however I don't believe anybody else thinks this, or wants to interact with me.

I'm really sorry that you feel this way. I can sympathise with the feeling of being pushed away by people once you introduce yourself. All I can say really is that there are honestly people out there for will be *your* type of people. It's very easy to say this, I know that. I know this from experience because I used to think that nobody really had a connection with me. Once I got to know people, I realised there's such a huge range of people with the most unique personalities out there and they still make friends who are just like them.

Social interaction is super exhausting when you have to force conversation or have a feeling that it'll go nowhere but I urge you to take part in things. I'm still working on this myself. I'm trying to push myself to show up to societies and other events in order to get to know people. Another big piece of advice is be yourself. Every time I got this piece of advice I brushed it off, but I realise how important it really is. Being yourself will not only help you relax and open up a bit more, but it'll allow the other person to see the real you and that's always more appealing than a fake version of you.

I understand what you're going through and I truly hope it gets better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.