The Student Room Group

how to study for computer science/getting to know linux?

hey, ive just started joint honours maths and computer science degree. so far its hard work but the compsci bit isnt too hard since its taught at beginner level and ive done a bit of code before. however, now we have coursework, and im kind of baffled. know so many other people on my course find it super easy, and i just dont understand how they know?

like theres coursework mainly revolving around how to use linux/raspberry pi, and thats fine like we do practicals and learn how to do basic stuff like make directories, move them, delete them. but then the coursework is just asking for stuff we havent gone over at all and i dont even know how to find out how to do it! how am i meant to know if ive not been taught it? i know at uni we are meant to use our initiative and be more independent but i dont even know where to find resources on this stuff. ive never touched linux before and idg how so many people on my course already know how to use it. if i google stuff the resources i find are clearly intended for people far more experienced than me and i just dont get them. they are so determined to warn us against plagiarism too so i feel nervous about just googling for answers and copying what i find, but what else am i supposed to do? i could ask other people on my course but talking to them makes me feel stupid and sad, since a lot of them are really quite smug. there are nicer people who i could ask but i dont want to harrass them constantly for answers either :frown:

what am i supposed to do? how am i supposed to know this stuff? i feel like there are secrets im not in on here
Reply 1
Linux requires a bit of practice to get used to. Familiarize yourself with the most basic commands like: ls, cd, mv, rm, cp, pwd, sudo, etc... My suggestion is to first get a Virtual Machine and install an Ubuntu image (alternatively just use an online terminal, but it's not as useful). Then just practice with tutorials and exercises online.

Command list:
http://ss64.com/bash/

Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjuHHI60s44

Unix terminal online:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix_terminal_online.php

Virtual Box:
https://www.virtualbox.org/
Reply 2
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey, ive just started joint honours maths and computer science degree. so far its hard work but the compsci bit isnt too hard since its taught at beginner level and ive done a bit of code before. however, now we have coursework, and im kind of baffled. know so many other people on my course find it super easy, and i just dont understand how they know?

like theres coursework mainly revolving around how to use linux/raspberry pi, and thats fine like we do practicals and learn how to do basic stuff like make directories, move them, delete them. but then the coursework is just asking for stuff we havent gone over at all and i dont even know how to find out how to do it! how am i meant to know if ive not been taught it? i know at uni we are meant to use our initiative and be more independent but i dont even know where to find resources on this stuff. ive never touched linux before and idg how so many people on my course already know how to use it. if i google stuff the resources i find are clearly intended for people far more experienced than me and i just dont get them. they are so determined to warn us against plagiarism too so i feel nervous about just googling for answers and copying what i find, but what else am i supposed to do? i could ask other people on my course but talking to them makes me feel stupid and sad, since a lot of them are really quite smug. there are nicer people who i could ask but i dont want to harrass them constantly for answers either :frown:

what am i supposed to do? how am i supposed to know this stuff? i feel like there are secrets im not in on here

Can't you ask for help in the tutorials / seminars?

Do you have any specific questions you need help with?

Instead of looking at Linux resources, have you tried any books or online courses for the Raspberry Pi?
Original post by st*r
Can't you ask for help in the tutorials / seminars?

Do you have any specific questions you need help with?

Instead of looking at Linux resources, have you tried any books or online courses for the Raspberry Pi?

we dont have tutorials or seminars really. we do have workshops though, but we are given far easier things to work on in them and so no problems seem to arise while i am there.
apparently there is a linux handbook which is useful. i have a pdf and its Ok but still not giving me all the info :/

i suppose i will have a look at online courses, it just worries me that i would have to go to this extent for something im not sure is meant to actually be this hard :/

i have questions like
"What Linux “chmod” command would you use to set the permissions of a file “dodo” to be “-r-x-r-x-rwx” using the alternative octal notation?"
and it doesnt sound too hard like ive done chmod but i kind of forgot how and also i swear that that has 2 extra permissions than it should?
i cant find the answer and i hve 8 sheets of about 10 questions each :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by EmergencyBagels
we dont have tutorials or seminars really. we do have workshops though, but we are given far easier things to work on in them and so no problems seem to arise while i am there.
apparently there is a linux handbook which is useful. i have a pdf and its Ok but still not giving me all the info :/

i suppose i will have a look at online courses, it just worries me that i would have to go to this extent for something im not sure is meant to actually be this hard :/

i have questions like
"What Linux “chmod” command would you use to set the permissions of a file “dodo” to be “-r-x-r-x-rwx” using the alternative octal notation?"
and it doesnt sound too hard like ive done chmod but i kind of forgot how and also i swear that that has 2 extra permissions than it should?
i cant find the answer and i hve 8 sheets of about 10 questions each :frown:

-r-x-r-x-rwx looks like a misprint

normally it is something like

-rwxrwxrwx

This website may help you

http://permissions-calculator.org/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending