The Student Room Group

Muslim Girls: What did you think of #NoHijabDay on twitter?

Scroll to see replies

No. Hair is no more "sexual" than clothes or facial features. You only claim this because you subscribe to an ideology that sees it as such.

You know something? This is true, and it is exactly why Hijab is not just the cloth you wear to cover your hair, its an entire attitude. To be humble with the way in which you dress, the manner in which you walk and talk, the food that you eat- Hijab encompasses all of that.
(edited 7 years ago)
@gigglefits

Why aren't men supposed to be similarly, and to the same extent, that "humble"? And how does the Hijab define the way you walk, talk and eat? Only oneself can define that, not an article of clothing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Prophet Muhammad saw said that one of the signs which you can have knowledge of the hour by is that there will be movements to corrupt the women.
[QUOTE="_gcx;68272446"]@gigglefits

Why aren't men supposed to be similarly, and to the same extent, that "humble"? And how does the Hijab define the way you walk, talk and eat? Only oneself can define that, not an article of clothing.[/QUOTE

I'm happy to tell you that men are indeed required to be humble and above all modest just as women are required to be. But biologically, and even many psychologists have said that psychologically, men and women are different. That is an undisputable fact.
The beauty of Hijab is that God has taken these differences into consideration and, as a result, has applied a different set of guidelines to each different kind (ie men and women) to cater for their differences. But you also have to look at how all of us men and women are still humans (common denominator) so the one foundation, baseline factor to Hijab stays the same- and that one core factor is modesty.

This is what I'm trying to tell you though, wearing the 'article of clothing' ie the cloth/scarf whatever you want to refer to it as, that is literally just the surface of the whole idea of . Hijab is not just a cloth- covering your hair is just the semantics of Hijab. It is an important aspect for, but it is not the only important aspect.

I can understand why you might think that though, why you might think that the Hijab is just a simple covering of the hair because it seems to be the only thing mentioned about so often. We are taught that Hijab is so much more, and I hand-on-heart promise you that it is.
One's self does define the way you walk and talk, you are right, but Hijab, both for men and women, provides guidelines so that you can do them in a manner that is optimal for yourself and those around you.
Muslim women who don't wear the cloth over their hair, may also be practicing Hijab because they might not speak to every man in a flirtatious manner for example, or they might choose to keep their voices low to avoid attracting unnecessary attention- these are both aspects of Hijab that can be done without the cloth covering your hair.

There are many educated women in Islam all around the world that choose to wear Hijab. I understand that for some it might be forced upon which saddens me because this is not the way of our Prophert pbuh.
But for those who it isn't forced upon like myself and many of my friends- what about us? Don't you think in this free thinking, open minded society that is the UK, we could easily reject it? No, neither of our parents are over-bearing and forceful, as they too grew here.
Where hair trends like cuts and dyes and everything in between is a part of our British culture. Obviously we are young women, some may like to be a part of it but despite that why is it that we STILL choose the Hijab?
Despite all of this I have chosen it, because I, alongside many of my other Muslim sisters who are hardly mentioned, have researched, learned and respected what it stands for.
I like to think that I am fairly educated, born and raised in this country. Shouldn't our intellect get even a little credit?

I hope this cleared a little something up for you. If not, fire away i will try and aswer to the best of my ability.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gigglefits

x.

bro arguing with these people is like arguing with a brick wall. They aren't seeking knowledge or understanding their main aim is to refute and they will find any argument to do so whilst abandoning any bit of logic they once had
Original post by Squish•
bro arguing with these people is like arguing with a brick wall. They aren't seeking knowledge or understanding their main aim is to refute and they will find any argument to do so whilst abandoning any bit of logic they once had

I'm new to this so I still don't know how it properly works. I think your message was to me (sorry if it isnt)

Honestly, to be fair, every individual is just that- an individual. I appreciate what you're saying I mean you might be right, they might just want an argument or to show up the principles that we believe in. But then again they might not. And it is the duty of a Muslim to remain (sensibly) optimistic: it might just be that they are genuinely interested or confused. And if inshaAllah we can help clear the misunderstanding then what's the harm in trying?
Original post by _gcx
@gigglefits

Why aren't men supposed to be similarly, and to the same extent, that "humble"? And how does the Hijab define the way you walk, talk and eat? Only oneself can define that, not an article of clothing.

Here is a direct quote from the Quran, the basis and foundation of our entire faith, let alone the Hijab.

“Tell the believing men to cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts" (24:30-31)

Both men and women are addressed specifically, not only women.

And I noticed that you wrote Hijab with a capital H, a small gesture no doubt, but a gesture of respect. So thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Squish•

I love that attempt to derail the thread with your idealistic interpretation of this debate. Have you ignored my statements, here and earlier, where I have claimed the opposite? I view debate as pointless if no-one questions their standpoint. Clearly, because you're attempting to deflect debate and downplay opinions contradicting yours. So please, keep civil and restrain yourself from making comments such as this.

Debate is about learning, and if that does not occur, it is not a debate.
Original post by _gcx
I love that attempt to derail the thread with your idealistic interpretation of this debate. Have you ignored my statements, here and earlier, where I have claimed the opposite? I view debate as pointless if no-one questions their standpoint. Clearly, because you're attempting to deflect debate and downplay opinions contradicting yours. So please, keep civil and restrain yourself from making comments such as this.

Debate is about learning, and if that does not occur, it is not a debate.

I wasn't referring specifically to you m8. You just throughout stupid baseless claims and assumptions there, i'd ask you to prove them but i don't have time and you got offended by my comment for no reason. I never tried to 'derail' the thread, you guys can carry on discussing. I never suggested to speak about something else and that statement about me forming an 'idealistic interpretation' was stupid. I gave an observation based on my experience, that's it.
Original post by Squish•
I wasn't referring specifically to you m8. You just throughout stupid baseless claims and assumptions there, i'd ask you to prove them but i don't have time and you got offended by my comment for no reason. I never tried to 'derail' the thread, you guys can carry on discussing. I never suggested to speak about something else and that statement about me forming an idealistic interpretation was stupid. I gave an observation based on my experience, that's it.

Then you've answered your own question. If you point them out, I will substantiate/expand upon them. By derailing, I meant attempting to steer attention away from the debate, and towards other matters. I was not "offended" by the comment, it seemed like the other way around, to me. I'll just say that there are many that make posts, similar to the one that I saw, that don't have any interest at discussion, and rather attempt to invalidate others opinions, as I saw with "don't bother arguing with people like this". I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh, but there's no need to be abrupt, if only indirectly, like you were.

Original post by gigglefits

I'm happy to tell you that men are indeed required to be humble and above all modest just as women are required to be. But biologically, and even many psychologists have said that psychologically, men and women are different. That is an undisputable fact.
The beauty of Hijab is that God has taken these differences into consideration and, as a result, has applied a different set of guidelines to each different kind (ie men and women) to cater for their differences. (1) But you also have to look at how all of us men and women are still humans (common denominator) so the one foundation, baseline factor to Hijab stays the same- and that one core factor is modesty.

This is what I'm trying to tell you though, wearing the 'article of clothing' ie the cloth/scarf whatever you want to refer to it as, that is literally just the surface of the whole idea of . Hijab is not just a cloth- covering your hair is just the semantics of Hijab. It is an important aspect for, but it is not the only important aspect.

I can understand why you might think that though, why you might think that the Hijab is just a simple covering of the hair because it seems to be the only thing mentioned about so often. (2) We are taught that Hijab is so much more, and I hand-on-heart promise you that it is.
One's self does define the way you walk and talk, you are right, but Hijab, both for men and women, provides guidelines so that you can do them in a manner that is optimal for yourself and those around you. (3)
Muslim women who don't wear the cloth over their hair, may also be practicing Hijab because they might not speak to every man in a flirtatious manner for example, or they might choose to keep their voices low to avoid attracting unnecessary attention (4) - these are both aspects of Hijab that can be done without the cloth covering your hair.

There are many educated women in Islam all around the world that choose to wear Hijab. I understand that for some it might be forced upon which saddens me because this is not the way of our Prophert pbuh.
But for those who it isn't forced upon like myself and many of my friends- what about us? Don't you think in this free thinking, open minded society that is the UK, we could easily reject it? No, neither of our parents are over-bearing and forceful, as they too grew here. (5)
Where hair trends like cuts and dyes and everything in between is a part of our British culture. Obviously we are young women, some may like to be a part of it but despite that why is it that we STILL choose the Hijab?
Despite all of this I have chosen it, because I, alongside many of my other Muslim sisters who are hardly mentioned, have researched, learned and respected what it stands for.
I like to think that I am fairly educated, born and raised in this country. Shouldn't our intellect get even a little credit? (6)

I hope this cleared a little something up for you. If not, fire away i will try and aswer to the best of my ability.

The problem I sense here is that we have varying definitions of "equally" modest, because the words "modest", and "equal" are completely subjective. I admit that I wasn't clear enough in my other post, and I didn't really explore what I meant in enough detail. My core point is that, in my opinion, the modesty demanded of women is disproportionate to that demanded by men. I will not try to claim that men are not required to be modest, since they are, as there are some blanket statements which impact both male and female followers, and I acknowledge that. The Hijab, and other articles of clothing, to me, evidence this disproportionality, as similar compromises are not asked of from men. To some, the Hijab is a compromise, in numerous ways, although this is arguable and people, in many parts of society, do have a choice to not wear the Hijab if they are uncomfortable with it, or see it as a large compromise. I will expand upon this later.

Can you expand upon these differences? While, of course, there are biological differences, I can't see any which may have an effect to the wearing of the Hijab.

I don't think that the Hijab is just a piece of cloth. Of course, it has far more religious, philosophical, societal, associations and connotations. I understand what you're implying, but the Hijab by itself, doesn't imply compliance with Islamic teachings, due to the fact that some feel, although that may not, physically, be the case, that they have an obligation to, lest suffer societal and mental consequence. In some cases, although it's a symbol of Islam, it's not necessarily a symbol of the following of Islam. I hope you know what you mean by this, and that's what I was trying to say :smile:

I'm a bit confused by the use of Hijab in this context. Although I understand there are associated teachings, and those are reflected within the Hijab, I'm unsure whether you're referring to a specific school of thought, or teaching, that is directly associated with the word Hijab. Perhaps you could explain? :smile:

I assume this also applies to men, or am I mistaken? :smile:

I am not discouraging those, who wish to wear the Hijab from wearing it. Anyone can wear anything they want, because it doesn't effect me! :P

Of course, everyone is valued as an individual. It's simply that some of the motives behind the Hijab, some of which are not explicitly stated within a holy text, are somewhat biased towards traditional values, and I think you know what I mean by that. I see some of the teachings surrounding, and motives for, the Hijab, as a result of, or otherwise influenced by, "traditional values".

[QUOTE=gigglefits;68272842
The beauty of Hijab is that God has taken these differences into consideration and, as a result, has applied a different set of guidelines to each different kind (ie men and women) to cater for their differences. But you also have to look at how all of us men and women are still humans (common denominator) so the one foundation, baseline factor to Hijab stays the same- and that one core factor is modesty.

I can understand why you might think that though, why you might think that the Hijab is just a simple covering of the hair because it seems to be the only thing mentioned about so often. We are taught that Hijab is so much more, and I hand-on-heart promise you that it is.
One's self does define the way you walk and talk, you are right, but Hijab, both for men and women, provides guidelines so that you can do them in a manner that is optimal for yourself and those around you.
Muslim women who don't wear the cloth over their hair, may also be practicing Hijab because they might not speak to every man in a flirtatious manner for example, or they might choose to keep their voices low to avoid attracting unnecessary attention- these are both aspects of Hijab that can be done without the cloth covering your hair.

But for those who it isn't forced upon like myself and many of my friends- what about us? Don't you think in this free thinking, open minded society that is the UK, we could easily reject it? No, neither of our parents are over-bearing and forceful, as they too grew here.
I like to think that I am fairly educated, born and raised in this country. Shouldn't our intellect get even a little credit?

Your post is basically one big non-sequitur. Yes, men and women are different, anyone who denies this is denying reality. But why does having a vagina instead of a penis mean one must cover up so much more? There is no logic to this other than the fact that this rule was created in a very patriarchal, misogynistic society.
Original post by Reformed
i found it interesting wathing the tv show about Nadia who won Bake Off last yr, going back to her homeland bangladesh. It was quite obvious that, in that huge muslim populated country, the vast majority of people she met in her village, the towns and her neighbours, that girls didnt often wear a hijab. and whan they did it wasnt as tightly and puritancally fitted around the head as her own one was.

it was amusing to me that these bangladeshis were looking at her teaching them their own cooking, dressed head to toe in fully islamic garb, a tradition she seemdd to have pickup from living in Luton

Yeh I watched that too. Tbh tho in the villages and hot countries like that the women rarely tie the scarf around tight like what women do here in the UK kus it would be way too hot ya know. So as u can see its not such a strict rule as people make out. It's taken as a choice whether u want to wear a scarf or not.

And why do u call it Islamic garb? That sounds a bit rude to me if I'm honest but correct me if I'm taking it in the wrong way. And u can pick up traditions from anywhere including the UK.
Original post by Asiangirl_18
Yeh I watched that too. Tbh tho in the villages and hot countries like that the women rarely tie the scarf around tight like what women do here in the UK kus it would be way too hot ya know. So as u can see its not such a strict rule as people make out. It's taken as a choice whether u want to wear a scarf or not.

And why do u call it Islamic garb? That sounds a bit rude to me if I'm honest but correct me if I'm taking it in the wrong way. And u can pick up traditions from anywhere including the UK.

garb is just a shorthand for garment or paraphenalia. i made the point because most islamic forms of dress is simply arabic dress of many centuries ago. if you look at history books you will see that the headscarf, veil and dishadash were all worn in the middle east long before mohammeds birth.
what was pointed out to me in that program was most of the bangladeshis in that program were wearing traditional bangladeshi or asian style clothes, whereas nadia, a self professed british bangladeshi, was wearing arabic clothing
Original post by Reformed
garb is just a shorthand for garment or paraphenalia. i made the point because most islamic forms of dress is simply arabic dress of many centuries ago. if you look at history books you will see that the headscarf, veil and dishadash were all worn in the middle east long before mohammeds birth.
what was pointed out to me in that program was most of the bangladeshis in that program were wearing traditional bangladeshi or asian style clothes, whereas nadia, a self professed british bangladeshi, was wearing arabic clothing

Ahh okay. And I dnt really understand ur point tho. U can be British but wear Arabic clothing if u wish to because its a choice.
Remarkable idea, not only on twitter, should be rest of the platforms as well as publicly on the ground too.
My girlfriend is Muslim but entire family did not wear Hijaab or Burqah, rather liberal social freedom.

Quick Reply

Latest