The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MIT - dunno if its Ivy League tho
Reply 2
Cossack
MIT - dunno if its Ivy League tho

MIT isn't in the Ivy League.

The Ivy League = Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Pennsylvania and Dartmouth.
Reply 3
Nylex
MIT isn't in the Ivy League.

The Ivy League = Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Pennsylvania and Dartmouth.

But isnt it the best place for sciency type subjects?
Reply 4
Cossack
But isnt it the best place for sciency type subjects?

I assume so, though Caltech is very good too.
I thought Stanford was in the Ivy League???
Reply 6
firebladez777.5
I thought Stamford was in the Ivy League???

It's Stanford and no, it isn't in the Ivy League.
Reply 7
MIT or Stanford.
go for MIT.
Reply 8
Stanford and MIT are often considered on a par with the Ivy League in terms of prestige, but they're not part of it (they're in something called the Ivy Plus though).

MIT's supposed to be the best in America for Engineering, although yes, Caltech, Stanford and UC Berkeley are very good for tech too.
Reply 9
Out of the one's in the list, I voted for Princeton. In my view, it has the strongest undergraduate engineering department out of all the Ivies. I would've voted for Cornell if it provided a better overall college experience. Penn isn't that strong, but Harvard is. Plus, if you enroll at Harvard, you can cross-register classes at MIT (and vice-versa).

I'd rank other American schools like so:
1. MIT
2. Stanford / Berkeley
3. UIUC
4. Caltech

That's undergraduate, btw.
MIT...is columbia an ivy league college?
Reply 11
ThornsnRoses
MIT...is columbia an ivy league college?

Yeah.
Squishy
Stanford and MIT are often considered on a par with the Ivy League in terms of prestige, but they're not part of it (they're in something called the Ivy Plus though).

MIT's supposed to be the best in America for Engineering, although yes, Caltech, Stanford and UC Berkeley are very good for tech too.

I'd argue Stanford is actually considered better than most of the Ivy League colleges now. Oh and Columbia definitely is.

The Ivy League was only formed to promote amateruism in athletics, and although it has developed some sort of cache it is a very loose one, as shown by the fact that most guides refer to HYP in the same way we say Oxbridge.
Reply 13
tomcoolinguk
I'd argue Stanford is actually considered better than most of the Ivy League colleges now. Oh and Columbia definitely is.

The Ivy League was only formed to promote amateruism in athletics, and although it has developed some sort of cache it is a very loose one, as shown by the fact that most guides refer to HYP in the same way we say Oxbridge.

In fact a lot of ppl now also use the term HYPS (S being Stanford)
i studied highschool in the US and applied to a lot of the schools. Ivy leagues are all on the Eastcoast. The best Ivy for engineering is probably princeton. Harvard is pretty ok. Penn is good for business. MIT although not an Ivy is very good for most of the engineering cources. Cornell is an overrated engineering Ivy, it is easy to get in (relatively) and pretty expensive.

On the westcoast, Stanford and Caltech are definitely the tops for engineering.

Latest