The Student Room Group

How to prepare for retakes, and how to juggle AS & A2?

Well i have totally cocked up my exams, got the bloody alphabet (ABCD) very very depressed... i will have to retake 6 modules in Jan ... , how do i prepare for the retake exams? And how do i juggle AS and the new A2 load and information?

I'm also going to take 3 A2 Maths modules along with my 6 modules of retakes in Jan. So if someone could please take me through how I should go about my revision etc, and how to not let the A2's slack.

Also i wanted to know how i can reject a grade; the D in Politics.

FYI, i will be retaking:

-AS Gov't & Pol 3 units (self taught)
-Chemistry Nuffield 2 units
-Maths S1

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I too got very disappointing results. Economics for me is the biggest worry because I did equally poorly in all 3 modules so I shall have to retake the whole AS year again. History is easier as I got AAU - retake the U of course!

I have never been more depressed in my life.
Reply 2
I need to imporove mine and i need to learn to juggle just like you!
Its going to be hard but im go flat out from now on to improve this!

Good Luck All
Reply 3
My school tell us to add up the total number of retakes + A2 units, and take just under half in January, which might mean leaving some AS retakes until June. Otherwise it's possible that the January A2 units will suffer and you'll just have to re-take those in the summer.
I was only 4/5 marks away from a B in Physics, should I retake a module or just work extra hard next year? :smile:
MathematicalMind
I was only 4/5 marks away from a B in Physics, should I retake a module or just work extra hard next year? :smile:

I'd say retake a module. AS modules are a lot easier than A2 so you want to build up as many marks as you can at AS.

I got 2 marks off an A in Chem and am going to resit my B module to try to bump it up to an A.
Reply 6
bohemian
My school tell us to add up the total number of retakes + A2 units, and take just under half in January, which might mean leaving some AS retakes until June. Otherwise it's possible that the January A2 units will suffer and you'll just have to re-take those in the summer.

So for me it's 6 retakes + 9 A2's ...so = 15 ...so 7 exams in Jan and 7 in June... that sounds quite good tbh...would've liked to squeeze in a few more A2 mods.
Reply 7
do you do S2 at A2? if so, take S1 in the summer, it'll be much easier.
I got an E in psychology:s-smilie:

Seriously dented any chances of me doing law at uni.
Reply 9
I retook 3 AS when I did my A2 and found that hard enough but managed it. I really would not recommend six, youre just setting yourself up to do worse all round due to work load
Reply 10
I didn't do well too.. A A B D (Got the D in Chemistry Nuffield so am resiting) so I'm just going to start revision for Chem NOW.. i.e. doing past papers so by the time Jan comes, I know it like the alphabet
I got: B in General studies and English Lit, C in chemisty and a D in maths.

Question: I got a B in both my summer chemistry exams however the D i got in foundation in January brought it down. Would you recommend i resat my foundation chemisrty in January or next summer?
Hey!
I'm in the ****ing same situation!!:mad: I'll be retaking 6 modules too for maths, chemistry and biology.
The only difference is that my biology isn't edexcel, it's CIE so I'll be able to retake it earlier in NOvember, a small reliefff!

..but still...I wanna cry everytime I think about those retakes+new A2 modules.. I'm REALLY REALLY SCARED.

..and I still wanna go for medicine:s-smilie:
Reply 13
I too have to retake around 7 modules in jan. For most peopel there are still 2 weeks left of summer holidays. i think this is a very good time to learn everything properly and maybe revise 1 day every week until the exams. As for A2 modules, u shud go through the work you do everyday, maybe 5 minutes on each subject to make sure you understand everythng.
Reply 14
Hmm, Nuffield marking this year was totally ****. How much does it cost per exam?
T_Bag
Hmm, Nuffield marking this year was totally ****. How much does it cost per exam?

I think it's about £14?
Im gunna be retaking SH1 (Physics) and sadly MPC2 (Maths Core 2) in January. Luckily I will only have 2 A2 exams in January so it's not too much :smile:
:frown: well i failed EVERYTHING
I got a C in Biology (B in one modual, 2 marks away from a B in another modual and 6 marks away from a B in the third modual)EDEXCEL

i got a D in chemistry (edexcel Nuffield the modular marks were a, d, u-messed up unit 2 urgh nuffield suckz)

i got a C in textiles, 5 marks off a B (the garment was an A and the Exam was a B but my coursework pulled me down so i'll have to re do it)

for maths i don't finish the AS untill January but ive already got a U in S1 and a C in c1, i hope if i get a tutor and get an a in C2 hopefully it'll pull my grade up)

total pissed off, didn't try hard enough. I got straight A's for my GCSE's (even though i was predicited B's and C's) and this made me believe i could also do AS's well, obviously not. seriously reconsidering UNI.

im not sure what to retake (probably everything) but retakes at my school take place in Jan or Jun although teachers prefer June since you'll have to revise everything for the synoptic(sp?) paper.

im soo depressed:frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 18
I'm a bit miffed as well. If I got a U, and there were such things as F's and G's at AS level then I could spell FUDGE (with a B and a C leftover) with my results :frown:
i was in the same boat as you last year.... i got abcd instead of a predicted aabb! what i did was drop the c subject (art) and resat one module for the b subject biology and 2 modules for the d subject maths... i ended up with abb.

to be honest its up to you what you take and when... but make sure your resit studying doesnt take priority because a2 is generally harder especially maths!

Latest