The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So I'm not the only one huh. I remember the first time I thought about Ctrl+F was when I was doing my english GCSE.
Reply 21
I haven't thought about a game in real life that way before, and the only real injury I've gotten was a blister on my thumb from holding down X too much when I first got Ridge Racer. Back then, I was under the impression that the harder you hold down X, the faster you accelerate, I was 5 and it made sense back then. Didn't stop me though, I just used the tip of my thumb to press the buttons.

I think the longest I've played a game non-stop was around 18 hours which is pretty messed up now that I think of it now. It was the summer holidays, I'd just got into playing Morrowind, I had nothing to do and no-one was in the house. I had plenty of snacks and water though and I didn't feel physically bad at all after finishing, I just went to bed. Morrowind was like crack to me.
Reply 22
ive thought about games in real life, like when i was an SWG addict, i would think constantly about what to do with my city or guild, and how to get new people etc.

And witht he total war series, if a certain battle is pissing me off i will spend some of my freetime sat down thinking how to nail that sod, without losing too many men. Stuff like that.

Never thought i was in a game.... but thought somethings would be great, such as ctrl+f and save points to reload if u cock something up!
Mario Party was an evil game for destroying hands. Rotate analog stick faster! FASTER! FASTE-oh god my skin.

Nowadays it's all about the RSI, tendonitis ftw.
Reply 24
SunburnedCactus
Mario Party was an evil game for destroying hands. Rotate analog stick faster! FASTER! FASTE-oh god my skin.

Nowadays it's all about the RSI, tendonitis ftw.

Just look forward to the day when games will be completely controlled by the mind - atrophy heaven :biggrin:
Reply 25
Alamothih

And witht he total war series, if a certain battle is pissing me off i will spend some of my freetime sat down thinking how to nail that sod, without losing too many men. Stuff like that.

yeah. Drawing up battle lines and stuff. I'm going to have to install RTW again.
Alamothih
ive thought about games in real life, like when i was an SWG addict, i would think constantly about what to do with my city or guild, and how to get new people etc.

Never thought i was in a game.... but thought somethings would be great, such as ctrl+f and save points to reload if u cock something up!

In Medieval II: Total War I tend to fight the smaller battles without saving, if I lose then that's just bad generalship, but the bigger castles (ie. capitals) I tend to send in my spies to, erm, spy on a city and see what kind of troops they have, and work out how best to beat them with minimal losses. With big battles I save and reload if things don't go as planned.

Can you imagine if the commanders in the past had a reload button? "Hmmph, das Operation Barbarossa did not vork too vell, dumb-arse Russians, let me try zat again." :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Airel
Sometimes when I've played a game for ages, I start to think about it in real life. So do a lot of people. Like, imagining things in isometric view, thinking of using CTRL+F when looking in a book, pressing tab for third person, and such. Does this happen to anyone else?

When me and my housemates played loads of the crash events from Burnout, I later found myself trying to work out the best approach to cause the most damage at a traffic jam I saw whilst walking into uni :biggrin:. Fortunetly that hasn't happened whilst I've been behind the wheel :eek2:
Reply 28
Baron
When me and my housemates played loads of the crash events from Burnout, I later found myself trying to work out the best approach to cause the most damage at a traffic jam I saw whilst walking into uni :biggrin:. Fortunetly that hasn't happened whilst I've been behind the wheel :eek2:

Haha, did ya see any crashbreakers and score multipliers? :tongue:
Reply 29
Drunken DDR leads to many a minor injury...
Reply 30
I've come close to carpal tunnel/repetitive strain from DAOC/WoW. 10-16 hours a day in the summer on occasion... probably isn't good. I also played GTA 3 so much I could hear and see sirens when I tried to sleep. Haven't been on a killing spree though... yet.
Reply 31
or saying lol to someone in a conversation, i keep having to physically stop myself doing that :frown:
Reply 32
Mario party is a horrible one for the hands. I remember reading once that Nintendo were offering to give out free 'gaming gloves' to those people who had injured their palm in Mario Party. Wish I'd known about it sooner :frown:

I've tried pressing Ctrl+F whilst in an Economics exam, then getting worried because I thought I lost my keyboard. I also once had so little sleep the night before that I was freaking out because I couldn't see my HUD whilst walking to school. I think I wanted to check my radar...
Reply 33
I used to play a certain racing game but found I had to stop playing at least an hour before driving or else I got the urge to stamp down on the accelorator.
Reply 34
Back when I played WoW excessively I started to get pains in my wrist, the beginning of RSI I think :s-smilie:

Oh well, it's fine now.
Reply 35
elliotmcv
I find it crazy, I mean I've been addicted to games before but I doubt I've ever played more than 6 hours straight. Imagine playing a game so long you get dehydrated, or your muscles atrophy (don't know if that's the right term). I agree with UoL, developers can't just ignore this.

No, developers can ignore it. Play a game for 50 hours straight...do pretty much ANYTHING for 50 hours straight...and you're gonna get ill. People just need to be less stupid. What's to stop people logging off for 20 seconds and logging straight back in anyway?
Reply 36
Xulfer
No, developers can ignore it. Play a game for 50 hours straight...do pretty much ANYTHING for 50 hours straight...and you're gonna get ill. People just need to be less stupid. What's to stop people logging off for 20 seconds and logging straight back in anyway?

And in the same way as beer companies come under pressure to ensure that their clients do not drink too much there is no excuse for these gaming companies to put in simple safeguards when they know that their games are addictive.

On the practical point - given the huge amount of programming (and data storage) in a game like WoW how hard would it be to keep track of how long someone has been playing and kick them for a while if they've been playing too long?
Reply 37
Baldur's Gate 2 used to have messages between loading screens, one of which was something along the lines of: "While your characters don't need to eat YOU do, we don't want to lose any dedicated players"

Always made me chuckle... then check the clock to see when the last time I ate was.
UniOfLife
And in the same way as beer companies come under pressure to ensure that their clients do not drink too much there is no excuse for these gaming companies to put in simple safeguards when they know that their games are addictive.

On the practical point - given the huge amount of programming (and data storage) in a game like WoW how hard would it be to keep track of how long someone has been playing and kick them for a while if they've been playing too long?

It's still entirely at the end-user's discretion in both cases. While a landlord may stop serving someone if they are totally sodden, this is only because he has a certain amount of responsibility for his patrons. As far as actually buying alcohol is concerned, the only limit is someone's common sense and if they happen to lack this then it is their problem. Same for games, at the end of the day it is up to you how long you play for.
Reply 39
SunburnedCactus
It's still entirely at the end-user's discretion in both cases. While a landlord may stop serving someone if they are totally sodden, this is only because he has a certain amount of responsibility for his patrons. As far as actually buying alcohol is concerned, the only limit is someone's common sense and if they happen to lack this then it is their problem. Same for games, at the end of the day it is up to you how long you play for.

Of course ultimate responsibility lies with the end user. But that doesn't mean that the provider has no responsibility either. If a landlord continues to serve alcohol to a man who has had too much already they must share some responsibility for that.

Given the minimal cost to the company and the ease with which such a system could be introduces I see no reason why these companies should refuse to do so.

Latest