The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because it is extra work I suppose, to safeguard against a very small minority of people who have this problem. You are right in that respect though, it isn't exactly a huge thing to add.
Reply 41
SunburnedCactus
Because it is extra work I suppose, to safeguard against a very small minority of people who have this problem. You are right in that respect though, it isn't exactly a huge thing to add.

It's putting a little extra profit ahead of the lives of a couple of people and the health of a rather larger (albeit relatively small) number of others.
Hmm on the PC I doubt I've ever done more than 5 hours without a break, but on consoles I reckon I have, especially with sleepovers etc.

A few years back I remember FIFA 2005 with my mates definitely took up a few nights :p:
Reply 43
UniOfLife
And in the same way as beer companies come under pressure to ensure that their clients do not drink too much there is no excuse for these gaming companies to put in simple safeguards when they know that their games are addictive.

On the practical point - given the huge amount of programming (and data storage) in a game like WoW how hard would it be to keep track of how long someone has been playing and kick them for a while if they've been playing too long?

No, it wouldn't be hard to track at all. On Guild Wars there's a message that pops up every hour telling you how long you have been playing for and to take a break after you reach 3 hours.

I'm sure I read somewhere about a game (think it was a korean mmo) which banned you for a certain time if you played longer than a certain number of hours without logging out.

Regarding the point about beer and a landlord not serving a customer once they have had too much, I think this analogy isn't a fair comparison. You don't become intoxicated by playing games and so when having too much to drink you can not realise that you've had too much. Of course, you could argue that certain games can be very addictive and be hard to stop, but there is no outside influence of alcohol to impair the judgement from playing games.

People should know themselves that things are bad for you, without having to be told by everything that it can be bad for your health. This reminds me of what I heard on the radio recently of an old advert from the 50s (iirc) which had the slogan "Go to work on an egg". It wasn't allowed to be shown for nostalgia's sake, because people may get the wrong impression. They would have to change the slogan to "Go to work on an egg, as part of a balanced died". It's like putting a warning on a bag of peanuts that says "May contain nuts".

Where is the common sense?
Reply 44
Xulfer
No, it wouldn't be hard to track at all. On Guild Wars there's a message that pops up every hour telling you how long you have been playing for and to take a break after you reach 3 hours.

I'm sure I read somewhere about a game (think it was a korean mmo) which banned you for a certain time if you played longer than a certain number of hours without logging out.

Regarding the point about beer and a landlord not serving a customer once they have had too much, I think this analogy isn't a fair comparison. You don't become intoxicated by playing games and so when having too much to drink you can not realise that you've had too much. Of course, you could argue that certain games can be very addictive and be hard to stop, but there is no outside influence of alcohol to impair the judgement from playing games.

People should know themselves that things are bad for you, without having to be told by everything that it can be bad for your health. This reminds me of what I heard on the radio recently of an old advert from the 50s (iirc) which had the slogan "Go to work on an egg". It wasn't allowed to be shown for nostalgia's sake, because people may get the wrong impression. They would have to change the slogan to "Go to work on an egg, as part of a balanced died". It's like putting a warning on a bag of peanuts that says "May contain nuts".

Where is the common sense?

Unfortunately it's been quite categorically proven that there are people who play these games without any common sense. And since the effort required to protect these people is so small and the dangers so high I think the companies can certainly afford to do something about it.
Reply 45
Sometimes when I've played a game for ages, I start to think about it in real life. So do a lot of people. Like, imagining things in isometric view, thinking of using CTRL+F when looking in a book, pressing tab for third person, and such. Does this happen to anyone else?

you mean like accidentally saying LOL in sentences....
Reply 46
i've recently noticed myself saying LOL to ppl...and i'm absolutely hating it...
and oh yeah...the skin on my wrist has hardened due to constant use of the mouse playin counter strike...
Reply 47
i've recently noticed myself saying LOL to ppl...and i'm absolutely hating it...

few! glad im not the only one having to conciously think about not saying lol all the time!
Person 1: "Omg wtf is that?"
Person 2: "rofl"
Sometimes I'll think 'lol' in my head, but I've never said it out loud :p: Well I have but only in jest.
Reply 50
I know someone who always says "lol" and occasionally "pwned" too. I don't think he does it by "mistake" but because he thinks it's cool or something.
I say pwned sometimes, but it's always deliberate :p:
Reply 52
"Gaming Injuries"
Am I the only one who finds that hilairious?
Onearmedbandit
I say pwned sometimes, but it's always deliberate :p:

Sometimes it's just the most appropriate word!
Reply 54
Airel
Plus all the mental injuries that come from items getting stolen. Notable mentions:

Diablo 2 stealing is everywhere
Chinese kid arrested for stealing in Lineage 2
Korean kid beaten up for stealing
The Cloudsong in DaoC

I don't really play MMO's, but some of my friends do.

Sometimes when I've played a game for ages, I start to think about it in real life. So do a lot of people. Like, imagining things in isometric view, thinking of using CTRL+F when looking in a book, pressing tab for third person, and such. Does this happen to anyone else?

once i got off the bus and thought it would be a good time to quicksave. i had been playing rather too much baldurs gate 2. i even went so far as to reach for the keyboard that obviously wasn't there
Reply 55
UniOfLife
I know someone who always says "lol" and occasionally "pwned" too. I don't think he does it by "mistake" but because he thinks it's cool or something.

yeah well i say roflponies. beat that :p:
Reply 56
Almost everyone I know says 'lol'. The people who say pwned actually say it phonetically, like poned, and it makes them looks like idiots. Also, today when I was drawing I accidently pushed my pencil too hard, I thought about turning down the hardness, like in photoshop.
Reply 57
After playing WoW too much up until last year, I'd imagine that the walk down the hill to uni would be the hard part as I could just use my hearthstone to get back to my room.
I think we've moved on to gaming mental injuries.

...roffle.
Reply 59
Well if we're in the sphere of gaming's effects on the mental process. Do people play computer games with music on in the background and from then on associate that music with that computer game? Or is that just me?

Latest