The Student Room Group

Foundation Year?

Hi, I'm 18 finished 6th form back in the summer with poor results: BCD in maths, f maths and physics respectively. The reason for these results are due to a severe lack of motivation and discipline (virtually no revision). However, after taking some time out of school, I have come to realise the error of my ways and how stupid I was to not apply myself properly. I would love to go back into education and this time I am ready to commit fully.

I have an interest in Computer Science and would like to study at university, I feel the best way for me to achieve this is through a foundation year. So my question is to anyone who was in a similar position to me, did you apply to do a foundation year, if so where and was the foundation year useful?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Original post by zappads
So my question is to anyone who was in a similar position to me, did you apply to do a foundation year, if so where and was the foundation year useful?

Is it worth paying £9k for the foundation year when you could spend a year or two resitting your a levels? Do think about it.
Original post by elfreda69
Is it worth paying £9k for the foundation year when you could spend a year or two resitting your a levels? Do think about it.

A year, sure but two years of resitting is a bit excessive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resitting a levels financially will not be as costly as a foundation year. If you intend to move away to do the foundation then on top of the £9k tuition fee you must add accommodation and living costs (possibly £6k + £4k). I think that this is excessive. Resitting a levels should mean that you are going over familiar topics and, in theory, should be better at them second time around. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply 4
Thank you for your input, but from what I've read a lot of uni's would rather accept the guy who got AAB the first time rather than the guy who got A*A*A after re-sits (I know I am neither!), and so even with re-sitting a year it may be difficult to find a way onto a 'good' uni course. My problem is that if I re-sat I know I could do much better with maths and further maths, however I really struggled with physics and know that would still drag me down if I were to re-sit.
Original post by zappads
Hi, I'm 18 finished 6th form back in the summer with poor results: BCD in maths, f maths and physics respectively. The reason for these results are due to a severe lack of motivation and discipline (virtually no revision). However, after taking some time out of school, I have come to realise the error of my ways and how stupid I was to not apply myself properly. I would love to go back into education and this time I am ready to commit fully.

I have an interest in Computer Science and would like to study at university, I feel the best way for me to achieve this is through a foundation year. So my question is to anyone who was in a similar position to me, did you apply to do a foundation year, if so where and was the foundation year useful?

Resitting is the cheaper option, but you douns as if you had the fundamental problem of being lazy.

Just weight up the pros and cons.

Pro is get to experience uni.
Assuming its a combined foundation year, then will get a guaranteed place on course.
New teachers and more emphasis on learning.

Its costs you a years finance though.

Compare that worth c £300 for resitting A levels.

In your case it sounds like a good idea as theres no gurantee you have the mindset to do well in resits. Just google the courses name of course+ foundation year

Alternatively look at a copy of Heap on University grades for an idea of what such courses ask for.
Having spoken to some unis, they indicated that resits are acceptable. You really should have a chat with some of them before making the decision. I am sure that the foundation year looks tempting, but it will add another £20k onto your final debt. Some unis stipulate that foundation years are not for those with poor a level grades, but for those who lack suitable qualificstions or who have been out of education. Do some more research before you decide. Good luck.
I don't think it's worth it re-sitting 2 years of A level, think about the excessive stress and pressure caused through the A level, foundation year might take only a Year, but atleast it prepared you for what you want to pursue a degree in rather than, learning the same course in A levels of what you learned in O levels
Original post by 999tigger
Resitting is the cheaper option, but you douns as if you had the fundamental problem of being lazy.

Just weight up the pros and cons.

Pro is get to experience uni.
Assuming its a combined foundation year, then will get a guaranteed place on course.
New teachers and more emphasis on learning.

Its costs you a years finance though.

Compare that worth c £300 for resitting A levels.

In your case it sounds like a good idea as theres no gurantee you have the mindset to do well in resits. Just google the courses name of course+ foundation year

Alternatively look at a copy of Heap on University grades for an idea of what such courses ask for.

I think that expenses come upto around the same price, cause the price of studying AS and A level is equal to the amount of studying 1 year in the foundation programme at a university, the only difference is that for A level you can pay the amount in a long stretch of time {2 years}, whereas for foundation, you might have to pay the amount monthly or prolly in one go if you want it that way
Original post by Infoprovider.exe
I think that expenses come upto around the same price, cause the price of studying AS and A level is equal to the amount of studying 1 year in the foundation programme at a university, the only difference is that for A level you can pay the amount in a long stretch of time {2 years}, whereas for foundation, you might have to pay the amount monthly or prolly in one go if you want it that way

Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread? The answer is 100% NO a foundation year is not the same price as resitting A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending