The Student Room Group

Need help wording my EPQ question

Hi,

I've come up with a potential subject for my EPQ; teenagers who smoke who's parents also smoked before conception related to epigenetics.

I need to find a way to put that topic into a sleek question that can't simply be answered with "yes" or "no".

Also, if anyone has any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on my subject, please be nice :smile:

Thanks in advance.
What is your research question? What are you looking at in terms of teenagers who smoke and what epigenetic effects are you looking at? How about something like 'the effect of ...'?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
What is your research question? What are you looking at in terms of teenagers who smoke and what epigenetic effects are you looking at? How about something like 'the effect of ...'?

I don't actually have a research question...

I want to look at how epigentics affect teenagers when their parents smoked before conception if you get me.
Reply 3
What factors are you considering? Have you looked at any research papers to identify any potential gaps in the current literature?
Reply 4
I have have a brief look online for papers about this, but I couldn't find any. I suppose its because I don't really know what to search for.

I have found multiple pages on epigenetics, though. They gave me lots of information, but none were linked to the addiction of smoking.
Reply 5
There will be something. Basically, from the sounds of it you need to get it down to an IV and a DV and build up from there. Get a working hypothesis together essentially.

Even as simple a question as, are teenagers who smoke more likely to have parents who smoked before conception would be a start. It's essentially a retrospective study but you could build from there and gather additional information to see if you could identify any additional predictors of their likelihood of smoking, such as household income, age parents quit etc. Basically, you'd be looking to develop the picture from the basic correlation and actually identify the factors that increased the likelihood that a teenager would smoke.

It may not seem like the most interesting study but it would be moving the research picture on a little and there'd be some hefty data analysis to be done there that would use all the skills that the EPQ is designed to test. If you read some literature about uptake of smoking in your target population you will start to get a picture of what factors are predictive of uptake and you can start looking at which ones you'd like to test in your own study. Maybe come up with something entirely new.
Reply 6
Original post by giella
There will be something. Basically, from the sounds of it you need to get it down to an IV and a DV and build up from there. Get a working hypothesis together essentially.

Even as simple a question as, are teenagers who smoke more likely to have parents who smoked before conception would be a start. It's essentially a retrospective study but you could build from there and gather additional information to see if you could identify any additional predictors of their likelihood of smoking, such as household income, age parents quit etc. Basically, you'd be looking to develop the picture from the basic correlation and actually identify the factors that increased the likelihood that a teenager would smoke.

It may not seem like the most interesting study but it would be moving the research picture on a little and there'd be some hefty data analysis to be done there that would use all the skills that the EPQ is designed to test. If you read some literature about uptake of smoking in your target population you will start to get a picture of what factors are predictive of uptake and you can start looking at which ones you'd like to test in your own study. Maybe come up with something entirely new.

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest