The Student Room Group

How many driving lessons does it take to pass practical

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Petulia
See what I mean.... some people pick it up really fast and know exactly what they're doing and could probably pass in about 20 hours.
I was stalling and causing delays every time we drove up to the corner shops until at least my 7th lesson. I've had 12 lessons now and still not great at steering/turning and I get really nervous and panic when he tells me to do 2+ things at once which is why he hasn't taken me onto the main roads yet. When I'm turning I'm still either too wide or cutting it too fast and almost hitting the curb (which my instructor gets really angry at me about). So I think it will probably take me twice the amount of time it takes the average person to pass.

Change instructors, you can't learn to drive when you're stressed.
Original post by l'etranger
Change instructors, you can't learn to drive when you're stressed.

He is pretty patient with me to be honest and quite calm, so when I do frustrate him I know that it's because I've actually done something really dangerous :ashamed2: but then he tells me to stop the car and explains to me what I did wrong and then he says something like "don't worry about it you're making good progress anyway"

I had 6 lessons last year and my old instructor made me feel so tense and stupid all the time that I just gave up. So this year I spent ages carefully selecting a new instructor....... I was literally saving their numbers and then looking at their WhatsApp photos to see who looked the friendliest........ this is anxiety at its peak
Original post by Petulia
Exactly how I feel. I was proud of myself for just about learning how to handle the clutch by the 6th or 7th lesson. We've been working on left and right turns for the last 4 lessons, still just driving around my area / up to the corner shops. I haven't gone anywhere near the main road yet, I think because my instructor can tell that I'm still pretty nervous even when it's just one car that approaches me from in front.

Don't worry, your progress is fine. Your instructor will take you on main roads when they think you're ready. I went on the main road at the end of 10th or 11th hour and I was terrified. If it wasn't for my instructor pushing me to go on a main road, I would've said no and would probably still be doing left and right turns by the 20th hour!

You'll get the hang of it soon, you'll also probably stall a lot when you do get on main roads because everything is new, but you'll be absolutely fine. I used to be scared when a car would pull up behind me too lol but now it's normal for me. I'm sure that by your 20th hour, you'll be wondering what you were so fussed about
Original post by Petulia
He is pretty patient with me to be honest and quite calm, so when I do frustrate him I know that it's because I've actually done something really dangerous :ashamed2: but then he tells me to stop the car and explains to me what I did wrong and then he says something like "don't worry about it you're making good progress anyway"

I had 6 lessons last year and my old instructor made me feel so tense and stupid all the time that I just gave up. So this year I spent ages carefully selecting a new instructor....... I was literally saving their numbers and then looking at their WhatsApp photos to see who looked the friendliest........ this is anxiety at its peak

Unless you're intentionally doing something wrong, he should never get angry.
Reply 24
Original post by cherryred90s
We're all different. I went on my first dual carriageway probably around my 13th hour or so

Depends, some instructors are very good at rushing things :wink:
Depends on where you learn for a start, if you live in a big city or in the middle of nowhere! I started lessons, one per week, at the end of March and had my test in September. I had 1.5 hour lessons which really helped. How long you need is something no one else can really say. It truly depends on circumstances. Someone I know was taught by their parents, had learnt and passed within a month. Not ideal in my opinion as they won't have had experience in various situations. Depends on your confidence, how good you are at retaining info and how good your tutor is! Some people I know had a bad tutor who didn't want them to progress quickly so he could basically get more money out of them. I drove around an estate for my first lessons and by my fifth I was on a main road travelling at 60mph. However I live in the middle of nowhere in Wales so that did contribute. I'd say I had about 30 hours. Seems a lot but the more experience you have the better. I drive now and I find that if I spent less time learning with an instructor I wouldn't be anywhere near confident enough to be on the road!
Original post by Aphala
Depends, some instructors are very good at rushing things :wink:

Maybe, but also depends on how quick you pick things up. If you're struggling with changing gear then you probably won't be taken on a dual carriageway, even if you're on your 20th hour
Reply 27
Maybe, but also depends on how quick you pick things up. If you're struggling with changing gear then you probably won't be taken on a dual carriageway, even if you're on your 20th hour

True, there are way too many factors to include but if you can't change gear on the 15th lesson then there is a serious issue :O. You know what they say, you only truly learn once you are driving on your own.
Original post by Aphala
True, there are way too many factors to include but if you can't change gear on the 15th lesson then there is a serious issue :O. You know what they say, you only truly learn once you are driving on your own.

Yes that is true with really learning to drive on your own. I passed my test the beginning of last month and pretty much got used to driving on my own, and learning, like night time driving, the first time I had driven at night after I passed my test I was on my own :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Yes that is true with really learning to drive on your own. I passed my test the beginning of last month and pretty much got used to driving on my own, and learning, like night time driving, the first time I had driven at night after I passed my test I was on my own :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It must have been so odd driving alone for the first time, must be a great feeling though. I can't wait to pass, ah freedom
It must have been so odd driving alone for the first time, must be a great feeling though. I can't wait to pass, ah freedom

Honestly it did initially feel weird driving by myself and in a car without dual controls in the passenger side, but it is literally the greatest feeling ever :biggrin:! Aw bless, have you booked your test yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly it did initially feel weird driving by myself and in a car without dual controls in the passenger side, but it is literally the greatest feeling ever :biggrin:! Aw bless, have you booked your test yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so excited for it! I've got a test booked for 24th Jan, I'm scared already haha
I'm so excited for it! I've got a test booked for 24th Jan, I'm scared already haha

That's good. Aw fair enough :redface:, you'll be fine :redface:, as long as you get enough practice in, you'll be fine :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't wait to pass mine! Just to be able to drive to work and be like "Suckers on the bus!" :biggrin: Congrat tho, must feel bloody brilliant!
Original post by Aphala
Can't wait to pass mine! Just to be able to drive to work and be like "Suckers on the bus!" :biggrin: Congrat tho, must feel bloody brilliant!

When's your test?
On average around 40 hours with a standard instructor. 30-40 hours with a really good instructor. If you have a car and you practice outside of lessons you can often pass a little quicker and statistically you have a higher chance of passing first time.
Reply 36
When's your test?

Hopefully after January, but it's hella busy after December up here.
Original post by Aphala
Hopefully after January, but it's hella busy after December up here.

It's really busy at mine too. I've booked my test already but I went looking for cancellations and the earliest available date is the 22nd February :colonhash: guess I'll just stick to mine
Reply 38
It's really busy at mine too. I've booked my test already but I went looking for cancellations and the earliest available date is the 22nd February :colonhash: guess I'll just stick to mine

Plenty of time to practice! :h:

Nervous as all hell, my instructor is a bit mental lol
Original post by Aphala
Plenty of time to practice! :h:

Nervous as all hell, my instructor is a bit mental lol

Yeah, I'll have about 7 more hourly lessons with my instructor before my test, which I'm hoping is enough since I've done a good number of hours so far. I'm nervous too but it has to be done I suppose. Mine can be a bit of a nutter too lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending